Gransnet forums

Chat

Guardian Angels

(83 Posts)
paddyann Sat 18-Feb-17 23:24:47

we decided to move house and after having our offer accepted the people selling decided to take it off the market ,we were gutted ,it was a lovely house and in a place we really liked .6 momths later it flooded so badly when the river burst its banks it had to be demolished .My lovely husband who is not superstitious or religious said that there was someone looking out for us and since then there have been quite a few times when things have gone not how we wanted but turned out to be for the best and he has repeated that statement.Do you believe that you have a guardian angel ? He says its his lovely gran who he adored and who thought the sun shone out of him too .Me... I just think we were lucky

durhamjen Sat 18-Feb-17 23:45:22

I was told by a doctor that I must have a guardian angel when my aortic dissection closed without having an operation.
My son and I think it's my husband/ his dad looking after me.

jogginggirl Sun 19-Feb-17 00:28:16

Strangely- my dd and I were talking about guardian angels only this evening... I most certainly have at least 2 - maybe more ?? There is no way I would have survived this last couple of years without them ??? See you soon - i

jogginggirl Sun 19-Feb-17 00:38:34

Not quite sure where or whom the last sentence came from - guardian angel...? ??????

BBbevan Sun 19-Feb-17 04:10:48

Yes, my Grandma Mary , Bless her

Jayanna9040 Sun 19-Feb-17 09:07:42

Hmm totally not sure about this. Does that mean that the guardian angel of the people who owned the house wasn't doing her job properly? Or that they didn't have one? Or that everything would work out best for them in the end as well? Not being confrontational. This is the sort of thing I think about a lot!

Christinefrance Sun 19-Feb-17 09:49:36

Sometimes things happen which we can't explain and it's comforting to have faith that there is someone looking out for us.

Lazigirl Sun 19-Feb-17 09:58:45

Cynical me, however much I would love to believe in guardian angels, think it just doesn't seem logical as Jayanne has said. Where are the guardian angels of Syrians being bombed in their homes, or in other life tragedies. I do think it would be nice to have faith and believe there is someone(thing) looking out for us but I can't go along with it. I believe life is random, good and bad things happen.

Elegran Sun 19-Feb-17 10:53:06

Wouldn't it be nice to have our path smothed by an inknown hand? Unless we are one of the majority without that protection, whose path is rough and stony, with precipices to stumble into and storms to fight against.

There are a couple of pious quotes 9n the same vein, - "To a close shorn sheep, God gives wind by measure." and ^"God tempers the wind to the shorn lamb.^" but the icy wind of hardship and tragedy strikes just as hard at those least equipped to cope with it as to the strong and well-prepared.

(And, incidentally, cute little lambs are not shorn until they are as large and hardy as their parents - they don't have enough fleece to make it worth the effort. What is sold as lambswool is the soft first shearing of a hulking great "lamb" eighteen months old or so)

Elegran Sun 19-Feb-17 10:54:24

Inknown? Unknown! 9n? In!

Elegran Sun 19-Feb-17 10:55:28

Smothed? Smoothed! blush

Jayanna9040 Sun 19-Feb-17 10:58:54

One of the most difficult things for me was when people came up with "wise sayings" that were meant to comfort like "God only gives these burdens to those strong enough to bear them" in which case I wished I had spent my life being weak. But that's another discussion entirely I think. Even though I don't really believe in angels I do find myself hoping for a sign sometimes!

Gagagran Sun 19-Feb-17 11:05:30

Isn't a lone white feather supposed to be a sign that an angel has passed by? Sure I read that somewhere but I find it hard to believe.

ginny Sun 19-Feb-17 11:05:48

It's a lovely thought but I don't believe it. If everybody had one, some of them should be sacked for not doing their job properly !

sunseeker Sun 19-Feb-17 11:19:03

Mine has definitely been slacking over the last 14 months! Hopefully he/she (do angels have gender?) is now going to start doing his/her job!

durhamjen Sun 19-Feb-17 11:22:46

Elegran, that sounds like Pilgrim's Progress.

durhamjen Sun 19-Feb-17 11:26:27

Paddyann, at one time my guardian angel was my dad.
We had been going to buy a guest house on the River Ouse in York. When we told my dad, he said that the car park at the back of the guest house regularly flooded, so we bought one well away from the rivers. The next year we had really bad floods in York, and the guest house we had been going to buy was out of action for at least six months.

Jayanna9040 Sun 19-Feb-17 11:33:28

The archangels are all male. Not sure about the ordinary ones?

MissAdventure Sun 19-Feb-17 12:00:27

I can't believe in guardian angels while such wicked things are done in the world, and while people are dying for want of clean water.

Teetime Sun 19-Feb-17 12:10:11

NO I'm sorry I don't believe in guardian angels but I do believe in trusting your instincts and taking time to make good decisions. I haven't always done this but when I have 'slept on it' as it where there has been a better outcome.

Rinouchka Sun 19-Feb-17 12:18:35

I wish I could believe in guardian angels but feel that what happens to us (or not) is a question of chance( or luck) and the lack of it, often together with choices consciously, unconsciously made.
Guardian angels or white feathers make a comforting and hopeful story and create a lovely, ethereal image.

Elegran Sun 19-Feb-17 12:26:04

Durhamjen The quotes are from Joseph Addison and George Herbert.

KatyK Sun 19-Feb-17 12:48:24

I think min'e gone on strike.

KatyK Sun 19-Feb-17 12:48:37

or mine's even.

durhamjen Sun 19-Feb-17 12:57:13

Thanks, Elegran.