Gransnet forums

Chat

Who are your role models?

(63 Posts)
MrsPeel Wed 22-Feb-17 17:06:30

I was musing on how my role models have changed over the decades - currently are Una Stubbs, Mary Berry, Joanna Lumley and always and forever Diana Rigg.

I wonder if this will change in the coming years.

Who do you admire?

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 21:54:28

Apologies OP for digressing somewhat on this thread, seems a lot of women have strange asperations to who is a role model or not yet still think that they should and I mean should wipe mens arses literally!

mcem Wed 22-Feb-17 22:04:13

Saak you seem to have got into confrontational mode very early on this new thread. I see no indication that anyone here is advocating that they 'should wipe mens (sic) arses literally'.
However I'm confident that -true to form - you'll up the aggro factor as the evening goes on and the wine? goes down.
Over and out as I really don't wish to witness yet again an escalation of unpleasantness.

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 22:09:09

My husband is dead - not that it's any of your business whether he cleaned the toilet or not!

Have you really no idea what goes on these days on social media? Do you really think having a stern word with your sons about respecting women is the solution? Naive or what...?

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 22:10:45

x posts mcem, I think you're probably right. I'm off too.

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-17 22:11:52

During my life there have been many people, living and dead, famous and not famous who I have admired for some cause or another, but I do not think I would describe any them as role models.

I am curious about this concern with women feeling the need to be subservient to men. Yes, I know it happens, but it was something I was unaware of until, probably, my mid 20s. Old fashioned male prejudice about women's abilities was pretty widely shown, but that can be dealt with, but women choosing subservience at the level stillaliveand kicking describes has rarely come my way.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 22:13:22

I do actually believe that women have a huge say in what their sons are going to be like. I do also believe that a lot of women "enable" their sons.

mcem, I'm sorry you feel that way. Im an advocate of equality but if that's not your thing then it's fine.

Ana - I do have a very huge idea of what goes on social media.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 22:14:26

Yes actually, I have raised my son in a way that he doesn't disrespect women.

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 22:16:45

Until young girls and women stop seeing 'celebs' such as Kim Kardashian as role models there's not much chance of boys seeing girls as equals.
I agree Ana, and it is very sad

Let's hope their mothers encourage them to see people like Helen Glover, Heather Stanning, Jessica Ennis-Hill, top women doctors, lawyers, scientists etc as role models instead of celebrities who are famous for being um, well, famous hmm

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 22:18:47

Im aslo glad that Monica hasn't witnessed anything untoward smile

Girls are constantly being manipulated on social media. Or do you care not to realise this?

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 22:20:39

OMG really? you are blaming women and girls for this?

mcem Wed 22-Feb-17 22:20:54

As I sign out I have to say that you've proved my point about being confrontational. How can you read into my posts that I'm anything other than a passionate advocate of equality and that
I've raised a son who, more than anyone I know, has enormous respect for women?
However I believe that, in some specific cases, he might make an exception.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 22:23:04

Jalima and Ana, you are so fond of linking and showing "data" have you not researched this type of thing?

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 22:24:24

You haven't proved any point mcem only the one in your head.

paddyann Wed 22-Feb-17 22:46:29

my granny who was a suffragette and one of the first women members of the Labour party,though she'll be birlling in her grave at how they are now,and my lovely dad who never took sides ,was the most tolerant of men and whose advice on many things has been with me all my life,sadly he died just before my 40th birthday so my son and grandchildren never knew him ,I miss him every day.No "famous" role models though ,I cant stand that shallow type of hero worship....

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 22:51:18

That's wonderful paddyann - your granny who is most definitely a role model and whose achievements are something to aspire to.

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-17 22:57:32

I didn't say I had witnessed nothing untoward, I just said I had rarely come across the levels of abnegation quoted in one or two posts. It is like sweeping statements about girls being manipulated by social media. Yes, a lot of girls are, but a lot aren't.

This evening DGD (9) was describing how she and her group of friends go to fewer birthday parties than other girls in her class because they do not to choose to hang out or around with the four girls in the class who, because they have older brothers and sisters are always boasting about going to their parties and generally acting in an over-mature manner for their age. She was not bothered by this.

It is possibly not coincidental that DGD and her friends are all in the top groups academically and that they all come from homes where the equality of all, regardless of gender, race or anything else, is taken for granted.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:02:58

Not sure what academia has to do with anything monica?

or are you saying that underclass boys disrespect girl more? when clearly it goes on no matter where you come from?

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:07:22

Do any of your children really associate with any other denomination? do you or your children associate with mixed race? do you associate with other races? I think not.. The average Upper class or trying to get there only associate with themselves.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:14:40

Apologies OP, some people just tend to show me how hypercritical they are.

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 23:18:06

To answer your questions in order SAAK
Don't be silly. Yes
Yes
Yes
Now one of my own
What century do you live in and what planet do you live on? Is Central London entirely dominated by white UKIP residents?
Oh that was three questions. But you do need to get real.

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 23:18:45

"Hypercritical?" Or "hypocritical"??

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-17 23:21:28

Sorry stillaliveandkicking, you have completely lost me. My post was about girls being manipulated on social media. I wrote about comments DGD made about other girls in her class at school, not her social class, and before you make any more sweeping assumptions about her school, it is a state primary school drawing children equally from a local council estate and a more affluent owner-occupied housing. The school qualifies for extra help because of the number of children on free school meals. DGD's friends come from across the social spectrum.

I find it difficult to make sense of someone who can use phrases of contempt such as 'underclass' boys, yet complain if women are not treated well. Are there 'underclass' women as well in your world?

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:27:18

My dad had a great saying.. did you know what i meant? of course you do!

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:33:03

Do you see yourself and middle class maw and monica?

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:34:04

I could say "yourselves" but yet again, you know what I mean.