Gransnet forums

Chat

Who are your role models?

(63 Posts)
MrsPeel Wed 22-Feb-17 17:06:30

I was musing on how my role models have changed over the decades - currently are Una Stubbs, Mary Berry, Joanna Lumley and always and forever Diana Rigg.

I wonder if this will change in the coming years.

Who do you admire?

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-17 23:37:37

I do not see myself as any class but what the relevance of that is I have no idea. I am even more lost after reading your last three posts stillaliveandkicking

I am off to bed, good night.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:38:12

Do you both do things equally? Do your husbands "metaphorically" clean the toilet that you both use? Or not?

Have a think about it.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:44:20

Of course not monica, implying and covering up is of course allowed on here, sleep well.

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 23:49:17

Tosh, but each to his own.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:52:54

lets agree to disagree.we also digress.

Emily Pankhurst.

Hopehope Thu 23-Feb-17 00:04:34

I don't quite see where cleaning the toilet fits in, but I agree that Sons should be brought up to respect women, and i made sure that was the case with mine. Not sure if he cleans the toilet or not, but my DH does, in fact he seems to have made cleaning the bathroom his domain. I have not done it for months!. I just lie low and make the best of it until he gets bored grin

MawBroon Thu 23-Feb-17 08:09:13

The name is Emmeline Pankhurst

Jane10 Thu 23-Feb-17 10:07:59

Good heavens what happened to this thread!! Some great suggestions especially the suffragettes. I often think Emmeline Pankhurst must be spinning in her grave at the way some young women disport themselves. I get so impatient with women who don't bother to vote or even take an interest in the world beyond personal grooming and buying things. But of course I'm just an old fart. What would I know!!

thatbags Thu 23-Feb-17 10:14:43

Haven't read the thread. Just glanced at the last few comments and decided not to bother.

But in answer to the thread title I've been thinking and I've decided my parents were my main, if not only, role models. Who needs more than good, decent people always doung their best? Fame is not important.

Elegran Thu 23-Feb-17 10:56:32

You don't like men much, do you, SAAK? You are fighting the battle of the sexes, believing that unless woman are much tougher and more aggressive than men and force them to fall in line, then women have lost the fight, and that posters who prefer to work beside their men toward equality have given up and are "wiping their asses".

It could be that you have a high adrenaline level - your posts often seem very combative.

sue1169 Thu 23-Feb-17 12:46:36

???........

Rinouchka Thu 23-Feb-17 13:41:54

Just a quick answer to the actual title of the thread: I do not have a role model as such but there are many people whom I have admired in the past and admire now. This includes both men and women.

One of them was my DFiL, a humanist and humanitarian, judge, scholar with immense good sense, the wisdom of Solomon, intellectual as well as practical skills, and a huge capacity for affection, humour and a love of good claret! wine