Gransnet forums

Chat

lond distance plane journey

(42 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 23-Feb-17 18:35:45

Please can soemone set my mind at rest.
I am travelling to India later this year and already worrying about luggage.
When taking a suitcase for the hold weighing 23kg are you also allowed hand luggage as well, plus your handbag with passport, travel docs etc inside that.
Also can you use a tablet once the plane has taken off to keep in touch with family and friends or do they have to be switched off like your mobile phone?

TrishTopcat Thu 23-Feb-17 18:51:54

I have recently done a flight to India. I think the details vary according to the airline, so you need to check your ticket or booking, or look on their website. All international airlines allow cabin baggage as well as checked in baggage. The cabin baggage will have a weight and size limit, so you need to check that. I think they all allow you an ordinary handbag as well. I was able to use my iPhone, iPad and kindle after takeoff and before landing, and some flights also provide wifi (though they may charge for it). If they don't provide wifi, you won't be able to keep in touch with family during the flight, as there will be no signal. You can put downloads on your tablet to watch/listen to during the flight. Most airlines also provide a screen at your seat on which you can watch tv shows, films etc, but some may charge for the use of the headphones you need to hear it. You can check all this on the airline website. Good luck, and enjoy India!

tanith Thu 23-Feb-17 18:59:46

You should check with your airline but you can usually take a carry on with hold luggage and a handbag but every line has different rules. You may use electronic devices but you need to put them in airplane mod while flying so no contacting anyone while in the air usually.

tanith Thu 23-Feb-17 19:00:21

That should say Airplane mode..

Norah Thu 23-Feb-17 19:08:22

I fly with my 23kg suitcase in the hold, a hand luggage stowed overhead, and a large shoulder bag holding money, passport, kindle, tablet, phone, headset, makeup and toiletries, spare knickers, pair of trainers, pens, paper, snacks, gum, and a toothbrush.

I turn my tablet and phone off for takeoff and landing. During the flight I may or may not pay for wifi, depending on my mood. I watch films on my tablet or films provided by the airline. I turn on my phone when allowed at landing and make calls or texts.

J52 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:22:21

Are you travelling alone? If so it might be useful to take a slim shoulder bag inside your hand bag. You can put your passport and money in it and take it with you if you have to go to the toilet.

Jalima Thu 23-Feb-17 19:54:24

I don't know which airline you are using, but, as other posters say, check their website for allowances.
You are usually allowed a certain amount for hold luggage which varies with different airlines and about 7kg in cabin luggage in a bag or case which is no more than a certain size (size will be on the website) and a handbag (not too large).
You can use a Kindle, tablet etc and can plug it in to the arm rest on your seat but put it into Aeroplane Mode before takeoff (and don't switch it on until you are told you can).

travelsafar Thu 23-Feb-17 20:37:01

Many thanks to all of you for your very helpful replies. We are flying with Virgin so will check out with them.
Norah, your reply most helpful as it covered all the questions i had.

Norah Thu 23-Feb-17 20:49:41

The trainers and knickers are in my bag because I have been forced to allow my hand luggage to the hold when the overheads were too full. KLM "lost" both pieces of luggage for two days. I like to be able to carry on with my touring. I always wear or carry my coat, gloves, scarf for the same reason.

Neversaydie Thu 23-Feb-17 23:16:19

Flew Emirates to Japan recently They allowed 30k checked in baggage but only one piece of hand luggage e.g.no handbag in addition to an overnight bag .I bought a print in a large paper carrier and I thought they weren't going to allow it on the plane coming back They relented as it was almost empty .
So I'd check

Jalima Fri 24-Feb-17 00:09:28

Yes, that happened to us Norah but it was with Ryanair, I have never known hand luggage be put in the hold with any other airline. However, it is a good idea to keep medication, any jewellery, passports etc in your handbag and make sure your hand luggage can be padlocked just in case they do decide to put it in the hold.

Emirates allowed me handbag and hand luggage last time we flew with them (but only 25kg of hold luggage!).

Izabella Fri 24-Feb-17 10:23:55

India. How exciting! 23kgs is a huge amount. Don't worry you will have plenty of space. I only ever travel wth a back pack but should you need a suitcase, make sure all your prescription medicines are with you in case of delays with cases after landing. Make photocopies of all travel documents and passport too!

Izabella Fri 24-Feb-17 10:26:53

I hit send too soon. What I meant to add was make photocopies and keep everything in the cloud. That way if you are stuck you can access information yuo may need in case your originals. Are stolen. The voice of experience here!! Makes it so easy when things go missing. The odds of anything going wrong are small. Just that I travel a lot!!

TriciaF Fri 24-Feb-17 10:46:27

As well as bags etc already mentioned I have a waist purse which is big enough to hold passport and travel documents , glasses and money.
Good point about medications - I always keep them in my hand luggage. But make sure to pick them up after going through security.
I've been to India twice, and the first time we went via Sri Lanka, where they were very careful about security - took ages.
I've never been on a direct flight there.

Jayanna9040 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:59:23

Always take one complete set of clothing in my hand luggage in case they lose the suitcase. Once made the mistake of putting the coat in the suitcase and arrived back in December to the announcement "Would passenger ..... Please go to the customer service desk." I knew what that meant!

Norah Fri 24-Feb-17 17:27:39

I always take an empty travel mug. On the plane, when drinks are served, I use my mug to avoid spills. And for touring about, full with tea. www.amazon.co.uk/Insulated-Stainless-Beverages-Varieties-Lightweight/dp/B01F44IOJU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487956423&sr=8-2&keywords=stainless+coffee+mug&tag=gransnetforum-21

radicalnan Sat 25-Feb-17 13:17:56

Clean pants in the hand bag oh that takes me back decades..have a wonderful time.

Longdistancegrnny Sat 25-Feb-17 13:25:14

I have a small light case on wheels which I use as 'hand luggage'- last time we travelled with Qantas, and their limit is 7kg. Everything I need on flight - ie book, magazine, pens, sudokus, lipstick, toothbrush, hairbrush, goes in small carrier bag inside that case and then can be whipped out quickly when you get to your seat so you don't hold everyone up. Jacket, change of shoes etc can remain in case in overhead locker. Oh and it has zipped outside pocket for passport, tickets, ipad. Wish DH would organise himself the same!!

Hm999 Sat 25-Feb-17 13:30:11

Long haul flights are usually more generous than European flights.

Take your own larger headphones for a 9hr flight. Ear buds make your ears ache after a while. And toothbrush/ paste as well as clean underwear

Shortlegs Sat 25-Feb-17 14:46:50

Google it.

Smithy Sat 25-Feb-17 15:09:52

Also I would suggest trying to get an isle seat. I flew to Mumbai in between an old Indian lady who slept all the way and an Indian dad on the other side with a large baby who seemed to be sticking his arms and legs into me all the time. Coming back I made sure Igor an isle seat so I could go to the loo when I needed. But it was well worth the journey - amazing country!

sarahellenwhitney Sat 25-Feb-17 15:38:49

Travelsafar
Your business and your reason but why do you need to keep in touch with your family and friends on the ground that you have just left behind and you are high up in the clouds and can do 'nowt about owt' Flying can at the best of times be stressfull without the knowledge of some news that one of your nearest and dearest thinks you should know about.

GadaboutGran Sat 25-Feb-17 16:52:25

Be aware for longer journeys: We had a stopover in Singapore en route to NZ & Emirates booked us on a partner airline which had different allowances. They changed again on the small plane from Auckland to Nelson. If we'd booked straight through the allowance would have stayed the same. We managed but it was a challenge.

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 17:42:37

Ah yes, clean knickers and a clean top as I usually spill something down me (it's a bit of a tight squeeze dining en route!).
And I take facial moisturiser (your skin seems to dry out), just a tiny one and toothbrush and toothpaste; some airlines provide them, others don't.

chrissyh Sat 25-Feb-17 17:51:48

The last couple of flights I've been on you are not allowed a handbag as well as hand luggage. Either check with your holiday company, or look it up on line, as different airlines differ.