Gransnet forums

Chat

lond distance plane journey

(43 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 23-Feb-17 18:35:45

Please can soemone set my mind at rest.
I am travelling to India later this year and already worrying about luggage.
When taking a suitcase for the hold weighing 23kg are you also allowed hand luggage as well, plus your handbag with passport, travel docs etc inside that.
Also can you use a tablet once the plane has taken off to keep in touch with family and friends or do they have to be switched off like your mobile phone?

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 18:04:12

I think some short haul airlines don't allow both but I have never known it on long-haul (and am amazed at some of the rather large 'hand luggage' I have seen when in transit.

W11girl Sun 26-Feb-17 13:47:37

As every other poster has said. Check with your airline. In general however, it is usual to switch off/or divert to airplane mode until it is safe to do otherwise. The Cabin Crew are there to advise you.
As a digression, I recently looked up the Gov.uk website where it lists items you can take on board. I was thrilled but very surprised to find that you can take knitting needles onboard! I would have thought a pair knitting needles could do as much damage as a pair of scissors, if not more, in the wrong hands! I have tested the theory several times and to date no-one has stopped me from boarding with my "offensive weapons"!! Bizzare!

Yorkshiregel Sun 26-Feb-17 14:49:02

I would think a sharp knitting needle could do as much damage as a spike or knife. Strange.

I have however sat sewing on an aeroplane. I used to be nervous of flying and that used to calm me down, but one day we went to the Silly Isles in a helicopter. Believe me if you can do that you can fly in an aeroplane. It is so noisy and everything rattles.

I don't know about a tablet on the aeroplane but it is certainly great for passing the time when waiting for your flight. A pack of cards made all the difference to us on one trip.

Yorkshiregel Sun 26-Feb-17 14:51:36

A change of underwear was one thing I took on the way to Australia. Toothbrush and tiny tube of paste as well. Plus a proper pillow not one of those travel ones as they are useless. You can always use a cheap one and buy another for coming back.

Yorkshiregel Sun 26-Feb-17 14:55:46

Oh, don't forget that in some countries you are not allowed in with food, or plants, or medicines unless you have declared what you have. Don't forget as you can get thrown off the flight if you try to cheat. Australia is really keen on that, not sure about India because I have never been.

Jalima Sun 26-Feb-17 14:56:11

I've never taken knitting needles - I didn't know they were allowed!
I thought bamboo or wooden ones might be allowed but I've never risked it.
Best to check with the airline though.

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Feb-17 16:00:53

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone's mentioned that all liquids and gels that are not packed in your hold luggage have to be placed in a one litre, clear, resealable plastic bag and left out until you've gone through security. This includes things like daily contact lenses (which are packaged in their own liquid), toothpaste, face creams, aerosols and lipsticks. The maximum for each is 100ml.

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Feb-17 16:07:44

I'm surprised knitting needles are allowed. I've had a pair of tweezers confiscated and the gov.uk site says they're allowed. It's probably best to check with the airline - it's going to be their staff having the final say at the airport, not Theresa May grin

kathyd Sun 26-Feb-17 18:53:56

It's also a good idea, if you are taking something like knitting needles or a crochet hook, to print out the section of the airline website where it says you can take them. Some airport staff don't know their own rules so you can show them the relevant information.

kathyd Sun 26-Feb-17 18:55:31

Also, nail clippers are good for cutting yarn or the circular device with a recessed blade.

Cherrytree59 Sun 26-Feb-17 19:28:24

If you are short on luggage weight buy toiletries at the airport.

I save my Boots advantage card points and use for small makeup items to carry on.

Suntan cream/aftesun weighs heavy in the suitcase, so.I have in the past bought it from Boots at the airport.
Also bottled water etc.

I wouldn't do this If flight changes were involved.

Norah Sun 26-Feb-17 20:18:15

Cherrytree59

Also consider leaving any excess when departing for home. We leave toiletries, travel guides and planners, extra clothing, worn trainers, etc. freeing luggage space for trinkets and treasures.

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Feb-17 23:25:29

I came to grief last time we flew out of Leeds Bradford, Cherrytree. I always buy my dry shampoo, suncream, etc, at Boots there after going through security. This time I just came up short against a boarded up shop front and a sign saying they were remodelling the shop. My face just looked like shock

tiggypiro Mon 27-Feb-17 08:37:20

Take photographs of your cases. After a long haul flight it is almost impossible to remember what your cases look like if you have to fill in a 'missing luggage' form. Returning from Beijing I always have a very tight connection in Amsterdam and my cases rarely come with me on the last leg.

Norah Mon 27-Feb-17 09:28:00

Tie a bright ribbon on a black case, for identification.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 13:46:22

We do that, in fact I have three different coloured ribbons on the handle of mine.

EmilyHarburn Tue 28-Feb-17 16:07:35

i went on the virgin website. For economy to inda it seems you may be able to take two suitcases in the hold.

www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/baggage-allowance/check-in-baggage.html
it said economy one bag but then

Exceptions
On flights to and from the UK to India, flights from the US & Canada to India, flights from the US to South Africa and flights from the UK & US to Lagos the allowance is two bags.

The economy hand luggage that goes in the cabin is quite good too.

www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/baggage-allowance/hand-baggage.html

Economy,

Number of itemsOne
Maximum size23 x 36 x 56cm (that's approx. 9 x 14 x 22 inches)
Maximum weight10kg (22lb)

Please note that a garment bag cannot be used as your hand baggage unless it fits the dimensions of the hand baggage allowance. If you’d like to bring one but it exceeds 23 x 36 x 56 cm, it will need to be as additional checked in baggage.

If you want to take your laptop on board, you'll need to place it in your original hand baggage or check your hand baggage in.

You must be able to place your hand baggage in the overhead bins unaided.