Gransnet forums

Chat

Spiders

(42 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 11:17:03

Are you afraid of them? How do you deal with them if you are?
I've managed to learn enough restraint not to run screaming out the door, but I still can't stand them!

Antonia Sun 26-Feb-17 11:29:42

I'm not especially scared of them, depends how big they are! The really big ones I get DH to pick them up on a piece of paper and put them outside.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 11:33:23

I tried the paper and glass method once. The spider started jumping in the glass, and I didn't have a free hand to open the back door with.
I was almost hysterical by the time I managed it, and ran screaming outside like a nutcase!

NanaandGrampy Sun 26-Feb-17 11:33:27

I hate them ! One of only 2 things I consider I have an actual phobia of.

If there's one in a room I cant sleep until its caught. BUT I cant catch it. Not even suck it up in the vacuum cleaner.

I did bring home a spray from my last trip to the US that kills spiders AND scorpions so I reckon it will get anything smile

I will say that none of my grandchildren would know I was afraid and have even stood( at a distance ) while they investigate spiders webs.

LadyGracie Sun 26-Feb-17 11:33:55

I leave them until other family members see them, then depending on size I either pick them up in my hand or pick them up on a feather duster and put them out

Christinefrance Sun 26-Feb-17 11:34:39

I read about the little boy who was bitten by a funnel spider in Australia. That was really scary. My husband puts them outside. If they are in the bedroom I swat them as I can't bear to think of them crawling on me, bad I know.

nanaK54 Sun 26-Feb-17 11:38:48

Spiders don't bother me at all
I will come and 'sort out' your spiders if you will 'take care' of any mice for me (shudder)

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 11:41:26

I'm ok with mice. I can sense a spider in the room, even.

Craicon Sun 26-Feb-17 11:47:21

They don't bother me and I'll pick them up and put them outside. Unfortunately, my DH is wary and my DS is very scared of them. I blame the silly assistants at his pre-school who would screech if they spotted one in the playhouse. They must realise that they're passing on their irrational fears to the children.
If I lived in Australia or the US, I'd be careful, but what's there to be afraid of here?
I had an acquaintance who kept Tarantulas but didn't mention it until we were on her doorstep. Luckily, I was keen to hold one and thought they looked quite cute and furry but it wouldn't have been very kind of her to not warn me in advance if I had a serious fear of them.
It's easy enough to overcome serious phobias of spiders and snakes with a good hypnotherapist.

Craicon Sun 26-Feb-17 11:50:19

Mice will run to a dark place so put a welly boot down the on the ground and use a duster to persuade it to run into the boot. Pick up the boot and squeeze it closed at the top. Carry it outside and place it down on the ground and the mouse will leave in its own good time. Or you can tip it up and shake it out, if desperate.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 11:50:55

I read somewhere that some people are genetically predisposed to have a fear of spiders. Not sure how true that is, but its an all over body reaction to them. Ugh!

NanaandGrampy Sun 26-Feb-17 13:57:06

I'm with youMissadventure , the tiniest movement and I know it's there. I don't mind mice at all . Or snakes .

TriciaF Sun 26-Feb-17 14:03:56

I'm not scared of the kinds of spiders we have here, in fact I leave their ceiling webs up because they trap flies and mosquitoes. Now mosquitoes are an insect I really hate.

When we were in Singapore there was a kind of spider which would try to fight back if you tried to sweep it up - it was quite large.

SueDonim Sun 26-Feb-17 14:18:20

I'm terrified of them. Stupid, I know, but it feels like some primeval instinct to be scared of them.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 14:27:52

I know what you mean, Sue. I'm not overly fond of other creepy crawlies, but it's nothing like the horror I feel about spiders.
I've been managing to 'deal with' small ones by leaving my glasses off, and telling myself it's just a blob (not like Annie's blob, in the 'blob' post!)

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 14:29:23

TriciaF!!
A spider that fights back when you're armed with a broom! My worst nightmare. shock

Chloret1 Sun 26-Feb-17 14:35:41

I hate them too! DH has to deal with them.

DanniRae Sun 26-Feb-17 14:37:29

I don't mind spiders or mice but I am terrified of those reptiles with no legs and can't even type their name. YUK!! shock

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 14:37:55

When I worked nights in an home for the elderly, I had to go and wake up one of the residents to come and get a spider that was in the sink!

sue1169 Sun 26-Feb-17 14:45:47

Terrified of them...I too just KNOW when theres one around!!! Mice am fine with...

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 14:48:45

Coming face to face with a spider is like finding a monster in the house! Absolutely ridiculous.sad

tanith Sun 26-Feb-17 14:52:25

I don't like them but I do save OH from them grin (he's a woose) using the glass and card method, he opens the door and I take them outside.

Ana Sun 26-Feb-17 15:40:38

I'm afraid I'm a spider-murderer, especially now I'm on my own. My eyes never leave the darn thing until I have a weapon (even if just a slipper) to hand...

Not bothered by mice, snakes or even tarantulas, which seem quite calm and cuddly in comparison!

gillybob Sun 26-Feb-17 15:46:37

I don't have a full on phobia of spiders but I cant say I'm fond of them. We took the DGC to "The Deep" in Hull last summer and they were holding all sorts of creepies including cockroaches and tarantulas. There is no way on this earth I could do that. I can just about bring myself to scoop a house spider up on a dustpan and put it outside. I wouldn't kill one.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 15:48:58

I have an electric tennis bat thing. It can be held at arms length, zaps them quickly, and they stay on the bat in one piece until they are shaken off. Cruel, I know, but...