Gransnet forums

Chat

Spiders

(43 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 11:17:03

Are you afraid of them? How do you deal with them if you are?
I've managed to learn enough restraint not to run screaming out the door, but I still can't stand them!

MissAdventure Mon 27-Feb-17 09:21:17

Crabs are armour plated spiders! Horrible things.

Hopehope Mon 27-Feb-17 00:06:29

scres=scares

Hopehope Mon 27-Feb-17 00:05:42

I am just like you MissAdventure. I have a real phobia where those eight legged creatures are concerned. In the Autumn I am on pins the whole time, and before settling down in the evening I insist that DH pulls out every bit of furniture in the room so that I can inspect behind it, even tipping the armchairs back in case one is clinging to the underside. \i bought a wonderful catching device from Lakeland, reasonably long pole, and a big plastic container at the bottom with a sliding door. Even I have managed to catch a few in it if I have been alone, then it is easy to get them outside and lock the door grin. Anything else I can deal with, mice, snakes( non venemous). I wonder if it is the movement of those unmentionable creatures which scres us? I don't like crabs much either.

Grandma2213 Sun 26-Feb-17 23:28:35

I can't be afraid of anything that is so tiny, though I admit I don't like some of them eg Slugs -Yuck. They deserve to die!!! Bluebottles and wasps are sent to annoy us with their buzzing (and the latter's sting). Daddy Long Legs are just plain stupid when they fly at us and their legs drop off when we swipe them!

Two of my DGDs used to go hysterical at spiders (probably their Mum's influence). I bought insect pots and magnifiers plus plastic spiders of varying sizes which we named as pets. They are now quite fond of spiders which is just as well as my house is a haven for them. #spiders'websarepretty!

callgirl1 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:41:29

I`m scared of spiders, from the tiny to the large, but I am absolutely TERRIFIED of wasps. I hate most insects and creepy crawlies, but I like ladybirds, love butterflies but am scared of moths, like caterpillars and snakes, but will run a mile from a worm! I know they`re not desirable in the home, but I find mice sweet and cuddly, have never had the chance to handle a rat, but don`t really fear them.

BBbevan Sun 26-Feb-17 20:35:38

Spiders, wasps and bees are easy. Glass placed over them. Piece of card inserted over top of glass and carry out to release in garden. We did have one of those tennis racquet things for flies. I nearly did myself an injury laughing at DH. He was like a demented wasp trying to whack a fly.

DanniRae Sun 26-Feb-17 20:18:33

We use the electric tennis racket thing on moths - now don't get me started on them. They have eaten huge holes in our carpet!

judypark Sun 26-Feb-17 16:25:25

Not afraid of spiders, rodents or slithering things, neither are my DDs or DGC. I am happy to let spiders scuttle about my house however I do draw the line at mice though I wouldn't harm one. We are fortunate that in the UK none of these can really harm us. So before anyone thinks I am a smug fearless poster I am terrified of heights, motorways and deep water. These last three are all innate life threatening scenarios which I avoid. Phobias fall into two categories, learned and innate. I studied phobias at Uni and interestingly two of the most common in my parents generation were cotton wool and the postman. Cotton wool being associated with unpleasant hospital procedures and the postman associated with the telegraph boy who inevitably brought bad news during WW2.

Ana Sun 26-Feb-17 16:11:48

Yes, I'll have to investigate!

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 16:05:47

You need a downgrade! grin

Ana Sun 26-Feb-17 16:04:29

Mine was from Maplins, many years ago!

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 16:03:34

Mine was from the pound shop, maybe that's why its more flimsy?
Best pound I ever spent!

Ana Sun 26-Feb-17 16:02:00

Ah! Mine doesn't do that - it's probably an older model grin

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 16:00:29

I don't know. I think mine is electric all over, all the wire bits. And its quite flexible, so it can tackle carpet lurkers as it bends a little on impact.

Ana Sun 26-Feb-17 15:58:04

The spider would have to be on a flat surface though, not lurking in a corner or at the edge of the carpet...

I don't think the tennis raquet is electrified all over, is it, just the middle section? Too much margin of error for me I think, although I'll give it a go!

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 15:55:07

I've never missed one yet. It's changed my life, spider-wise!

Ana Sun 26-Feb-17 15:52:44

Oh, I've got one of those, it's supposed to be for flies but it would work on spiders I'm sure. I bet it would see it coming, though...shock

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 15:48:58

I have an electric tennis bat thing. It can be held at arms length, zaps them quickly, and they stay on the bat in one piece until they are shaken off. Cruel, I know, but...

gillybob Sun 26-Feb-17 15:46:37

I don't have a full on phobia of spiders but I cant say I'm fond of them. We took the DGC to "The Deep" in Hull last summer and they were holding all sorts of creepies including cockroaches and tarantulas. There is no way on this earth I could do that. I can just about bring myself to scoop a house spider up on a dustpan and put it outside. I wouldn't kill one.

Ana Sun 26-Feb-17 15:40:38

I'm afraid I'm a spider-murderer, especially now I'm on my own. My eyes never leave the darn thing until I have a weapon (even if just a slipper) to hand...

Not bothered by mice, snakes or even tarantulas, which seem quite calm and cuddly in comparison!

tanith Sun 26-Feb-17 14:52:25

I don't like them but I do save OH from them grin (he's a woose) using the glass and card method, he opens the door and I take them outside.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 14:48:45

Coming face to face with a spider is like finding a monster in the house! Absolutely ridiculous.sad

sue1169 Sun 26-Feb-17 14:45:47

Terrified of them...I too just KNOW when theres one around!!! Mice am fine with...

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 14:37:55

When I worked nights in an home for the elderly, I had to go and wake up one of the residents to come and get a spider that was in the sink!

DanniRae Sun 26-Feb-17 14:37:29

I don't mind spiders or mice but I am terrified of those reptiles with no legs and can't even type their name. YUK!! shock