Gransnet forums

Chat

Overworked teachers

(113 Posts)
Ankers Tue 28-Feb-17 09:26:52

I know quite a lot of young teachers in primary schools, who have been teaching for eg up to 5 years. They are overworked.

Not sure if I am ranting or chatting.

One is leaving, and the others in some ways would definitely like to. They work in different schools, some teach in academies, not sure about the others.

They enjoy teaching, but the pressure of it, and "not having a life" is how they describe it, is all too much.

It seems to be the same in different areas?

vampirequeen Fri 03-Mar-17 07:35:59

Food regulations even controlled what could be sold at the tuck shop. We weren't selling crisps or biscuits. We sold fruit, juice, milk etc. Then the new guidelines came out and we found that we could no longer sell milk because it was one of the foods that were included in the strict kitchen guidelines and if we sold milk it would mean the child might have more than the amount that was allowed in school. Too much milk!!!!!! Then we found that we could sell raisins but not yoghurt covered raisins (milk issue again). We could sell fruit juice but not fruit drinks (even low sugar). Oddly we could sell water which we refused to do as the children could get that for free from the tap (every child had their own bottle).

Training days could be long and tiring but not as tiring as the after school training that you had to go to in your own time. You would have to drive to wherever the training was taking place then sit through a couple of hours of training before going home to start planning etc.

When Baker Days were first introduced they were called BDays because everyone knew what they were but no one knew what to do with them grin

suzied Fri 03-Mar-17 07:57:16

My OH and I were both teachers and 2 of our DC are teachers. We know so many young teachers who drop out after a couple of years. We advise any overworked teachers to look for a job in the private sector. Our youngest DD who is a primary teacher has just got a job in a top private school, it's more money, smaller classes and longer holidays. A bit of a no brainer really. She doesn't feel great about it as she feels in some way that she is abandoning her colleagues and the children in her state school, but I don't think she would have been able to stay much longer with the current workload and classes of 32+ year 6 pupils.

trisher Fri 03-Mar-17 11:15:08

sunlover your post reminded me of the initials fever that over took teaching including WILF- What I am Looking For. and WALT We are Learning To. Of course before these came along we were just playing about in the classroom-nobody was learning anything!

Lillie Fri 03-Mar-17 11:20:08

suzied - I quite agree but was wary of extolling all the virtues on here! We DO work just as hard, but enjoy it!

daphnedill Fri 03-Mar-17 14:51:33

WILF and WALT are soooooooo noughties!

It's WWWEBI now!

(What went will - even better if)

Does anybody remember ROLOs?

daphnedill Fri 03-Mar-17 14:54:47

Just seen that Sunlover has alreadyt mentioned WWWEBI.

2019judijo Mon 01-Apr-19 14:03:09

Hello my dear friend
First of all, I want to thank you for writing a great post and for creating a great thread on this forum for this post. Why do I think that you wrote a wonderful post that you put in a separate new thread of this forum? Because this post is informative, in this post there is information that is relevant exactly today and there is information that is
right now, because this post contains a clear and complete description of the problem, and also this post makes readers think, this post makes readers to analyze.
Secondly, I want to say that young teachers who work in any educational institution (kindergarten, school, lyceum, college in which children are forced to study for 2 years, advanced college in which children are forced to study for 4 years, university, institute or another academic institution) not more than 5 years there is little in my city. Young teachers who are graduates of higher educational institutions who have the opportunity and the right to teach for other people do not want to go to work as teachers of an educational institution. Why young people do not want to go to work as a school teacher
1) work as a teacher is nervous because many children who have different characters are present under teacher control
2) work as a teacher of an educational institution is low-paid in comparison with work as a professional who writes texts for the service paperial.com/do-my-essay which do my essays and which sells these texts for students
3) work as a teacher requires a lot of efforts because work is routine and nothing changes after a long time
In conclusion, I want to say that a small number of young teachers in educational institutions and a decrease in the number of young teachers in educational institutions are problems that must be solved in the near future because new young people are necessary for educational institutions.

leyla Mon 01-Apr-19 14:55:03

I do think that teachers work very hard but that many many other people do too and for less money and without being able to work flexibly during the times when the children are on holiday. I get a bit fed up with teachers feeling they are a special case.

RoryNickson Mon 27-May-19 09:53:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nonnie Mon 27-May-19 10:59:29

Only read the first page.

I am sorry for all those who have to work long hours but am another one who doesn't understand why some teachers think they have it harder than the rest of us. Working 0730 - 1800, lucky them. At least they can take their marking etc home and fit is around their children's activities. I had to pay the childminder for every extra hour I worked.

At times I had to keep my phone and laptop on all night to deal with IT questions from around the world. It was called 'follow the sun' because work would be done by whichever country was in daytime.

Some of the benefits the public sector had that the private didn't was early retirement and final salary, index linked pensions. I'm told they had maternity pay before the rest of us and some of them get time off in lieu of working extra hours. Of course teachers do get more holiday than the rest of us too and don't have to pay for holiday cover for their children.

I am not anti teachers just think they should recognise that we don't all have cushy jobs.

benaaron Tue 25-Jun-19 08:34:21

A lack of teachers means classes are getting bigger. Bigger classes are harder to control. Losing control stops teachers teaching. With less teaching time, students make less progress and they require to buy ib. And that can be catastrophic for teachers.

dris2 Thu 28-Nov-19 03:07:19

The road of love was only by himself so he had to step If love is only on the lips, I do not need you to say Hey dear, I still remember or have forgotten The places I vowed and the places I used to go We used to experience and taste the night together So how is the moon with the sun? How you, how you, how you
krunker
super smash flash 2