Gransnet forums

Chat

I look like a chipmunk today....!

(27 Posts)
Katek Sat 11-Mar-17 13:21:51

I had a very difficult filling yesterday-at the back of my very back lower molar. I also had a filling on the other side so my entire lower jaw feels as if I've been punched, plus I managed to gnaw the inside of my lower lip whilst it was numb! Tried Bonjela and shot through the roof, even a chocolate ice cream cone didn't help. (Tasted good though) Bring on more paracetamol! Is there something to be said for dentures?!?

Luckygirl Sat 11-Mar-17 13:33:42

Oh dear - troublesome teeth - sorry you are suffering.

Interestingly when I last had tooth ache I found that paracetamol was very effective - it does nothing for my hip and other pain and I had always regarded it as useless. But it really worked for me.

SueDonim Sat 11-Mar-17 13:43:23

Ouch! flowers

Try Iglu for the sore mouth, it puts a protective layer over the sore patch and doesn't sting.

Katek Sat 11-Mar-17 13:47:40

Ooh-thanks for tip, DH heading out shortly so will get him to buy a tube. Bonjela was NOT good idea!

shysal Sat 11-Mar-17 13:48:17

Did you know that in the short term you can alternate paracetamol and Ibuprofen every 2 hours if the pain is really bad? (So that each type is taken every 4 hours, no more than 4 times a day). Works well for tooth ache.
I hope your mouth feels more comfortable soon. flowers

Katek Sat 11-Mar-17 14:35:39

Have seen dds and dil doing this with children but haven't tried it myself yet. It may come to that.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Mar-17 15:05:58

I ve got to have two roots cut out as soon as the abscess I ve had on and off since October can be got rid off one is a broken back tooth that apparently has a bulbuous root so jaw bone needs cutting to get it out the other next to it was an extraction about 20 years ago that must have left the root behind I m dreading it I asked my GP if I could have a one off calmer just for the day I m having it all done and he refused so no idea how I will get through it
So I can truely sympathise with you and hope you feel a lot better soon ?

MissAdventure Sat 11-Mar-17 15:45:00

You could try rescue remedy, BlueBelle?

Luckygirl Sat 11-Mar-17 16:48:43

Kalms are good.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 11-Mar-17 17:17:27

BlueBelle your GP sounds as unsympathetic as mine, under similar circumstances, I threw an enormous hissy fit, ending in floods of tears, he gave it to me, I think to get rid of me! Worked for megrin

BlueBelle Sat 11-Mar-17 19:53:20

Oh I m so bad at histrionics nannyloves I tend to be the stiff upper lip sort but not with dental issues I have to see a different doctor before so might try her But I feel bad about going behind his back
Rescue remedy does nothing for me misadventure you have to believe in it and I don't see it as anything more than a bit of liquid I m afraid...... my daughter uses it and reckons it works but I have no faith I m afraid

MissAdventure Sat 11-Mar-17 19:57:58

Does your dentist offer sedation?
Would it be any help, do you think?
Some dentists offer hypnotism too.

annodomini Sat 11-Mar-17 20:32:39

BlueBelle, that sounds like a very gruelling procedure and I feel for you, having had several root canals in my time. Very best of luck.
Last week a filling came out of a very large molar and then the tooth began to crumble. On Monday I have an appointment to be prepped for a gold crown and should have it inserted the following week. Bank balance is feeling the draught.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Mar-17 04:13:28

Hi Missadventure no you have to go to hospital for sedation and he doesn't want to send me he says if I m under sedation they will rip them out and he wants to do it carefully ummm and no there's no hypnotism
Sorry Katek I didn't mean to sabotage your thread I hope you are starting to feel easier now and the chewed lip not so sore

Floriatosca Sun 12-Mar-17 09:30:59

Blue belle please do not over worry about this -easy to say but I speak from very recent experience. I had a large back molar removed on Wednesday as I had a painful infection under the tooth and needed a week of antibiotics. How I worried, sleepless nights etc etc(!) and really became stressed. I told my lovely dentist how anxious I was and he was extremely sympathetic and caring. The anaesthetic injections were only mildly uncomfortable and I can very honestly say I did not feel a thing - the procedure was entirely painless. I was warned that the extraction "will not be easy" - dentist's words as the tooth was badly inclined and right at the end of my jaw - so apart from a bit of tugging and a few sound effects it was not the horrible experience I had imagined and worried about all week. Good luck - the relief you will feel afterwards will be tremendous.

Katek Sun 12-Mar-17 09:46:20

Sat like a bump on a log yesterday-feeling much more human today but still have aching/tender jaw and a blister where I chewed my lip. Dd2 and dgs are coming to visit shortly so that's cheering me up.

Sorry to read that so many of us are suffering from dental issues-thinking of you all. You have my sympathies!

Jane10 Sun 12-Mar-17 09:51:53

Its no comfort katek but chipmunks are lovely!

Marieeliz Sun 12-Mar-17 12:08:04

I have had terrible tooth ache since Friday, saw an Emergency Dentist yesterday and have antibiotics. It is the same tooth I had a problem with last year. It is root canal filled so my dentist says it should not be a problem.

I have looked on the internet and, the dentist I saw yesterday from Denplan emergency, says some infections cannot be seen on X-ray and I need a CT scan. The pain is coming and going in waves. I will try the suggestion of alternative Paracetamol and Ibuprofin. Although I have a sensitive stomach. I have sent my dentist an email so hopefully he will ring me tomorrow. I have a horror of dentures but the state of my mouth generally it may come to that.

My previous dentist left me with a temporary front bridge in 2006 and retired 6 weeks later. He just kept putting me off re replacing and told me he was retiring a month before. The dentist who took over the practice would not touch it. He has just maintained what is there.

Legs55 Sun 12-Mar-17 13:17:19

I had 6 teeth taken out last year, luckily I had opted to have them extracted at the Hospital rather than Dentist. Shortly before I was due for first extractions it was discovered that my platelet level was low, stops blood clotting properly, however after Dentist & Haematology got together procedure could go ahead. I have nothing but praise for staff at Hospital (I'm terrified of the Dentist). Paracetamol helped me, I can't take Ibrufprone as I have Gastritis (prone to stomach bleeds). I have partial dentures, top set I love, bottom set a different prospect, can't eat with them in, just waiting for Dentist check up. Wishing you all the best, pain will go (about 4 days for me)flowers

Katek Sun 12-Mar-17 13:51:56

Greetings, fellow sufferers! ( Here's one I took earlier!) You're correct jane10, they're very cute but don't think I have quite the same appeal!

BlueBelle Sun 12-Mar-17 14:12:37

Glad you are starting to feel half way to better Katek Thanks for words of wisdom Floria I m trying not to worry but it's been ongoing since October and I see no end I ve been on six different lots of antibiotics and nothing gets completely rid of the abscess (which dentist now calls a cyst) So I have no idea when he will do the two procedures ... the idea of cutting into the gum and bone sends shivers down my back

Katek Sun 12-Mar-17 15:06:42

Thanks BlueBelle, def feeling much better. Please try not to stress too much re your root extractions, they have ways of doing things that aren't anywhere near as savage as you're fearing. In comparison to the length of time you've been suffering it will be over very quickly. You've got through 6 months of pain-you can do this! You're braver than you think! smile

SueDonim Sun 12-Mar-17 20:54:47

A friend's husband has just had to have a root extraction following the tooth being removed last autumn. He has some degree of Alzheimer's and gets very confused but they found the root extraction was much less traumatising than the original tooth removal and he coped much better this time round, both physically and mentally.

SusieB50 Sun 12-Mar-17 21:53:03

Bluebell dentists nowadays are so gentle. I had a root removed after my tooth just sheared off. I was dreading it but she gave me some gas and air as well as local, which really made the sound effects less disturbing. Still felt dreadful afterwards though like Katek and found aspirin based painkillers best or codeine if you can't take aspirin .

BlueBelle Mon 13-Mar-17 05:36:54

Oh thanks for all the encouragement I ll grit my teeth (oh that's a funny saying I don't think ) I ve no idea when it can be done as the abscess won't go and they won't do it until that's gone but I ll put it in capital letters when it's over xx