Gransnet forums

Chat

A little hiccup in Sainsbury

(32 Posts)
Hopehope Thu 16-Mar-17 23:44:36

This is kind of naughty but kind of funny too I guess. Before I start I must say that the staff in our Sainsbury are very nice indeed. So I was in there on Sunday at about 3.30pm. I don't usually shop on that day or time but I had run out of something.

Because it was late they had cakes reduced at the deli. They had a THICK slice of angel cake with buttercream on top 40 pence instead of £1.25!!! I thought what the heck a little treat is due, and half each is enough for us.

Took it to the Kiosk as I only had a couple of things. The young lad there picked it( Nice Lad), picked it up, it is in a kins of sealed softish sellophne? wrapper.

wrapper bursts, cake falls in half and top half with cream lands on the counter. No problem , I wasnt angry, accidents happen.THEN
he kind of scrapes it back into the wrapper, by now he has cream all over his fingers, and the cake is stuffed in all squishy.

I thought he was doing it for the bin. He then said " I will pop it in another bag for you!!!

WOOOT! I felt like his Mum lol, as I said " I don't want it after you have had your mucky fingers all lover it" Poor lad went bright red. anyway we saved a few calories, but my tastebuds were getting ready for it so was disappointed sad

Hopehope Thu 16-Mar-17 23:46:04

sorry for typos. Time for bed said Zebedee

janeainsworth Fri 17-Mar-17 07:58:39

grin

Christinefrance Fri 17-Mar-17 08:14:05

That is funny Hopehope, think he needs a bit more training. Shame about the cake though. smile

DanniRae Fri 17-Mar-17 08:30:25

I think I would have almost cried at the loss of that cake and probably gone to the cake section and bought another one - or something else (low calorie??) like a fresh cream slice or a doughnut............Oh dear I am off to Sainsburys today - I know where I will be lingering.........!! grin

Kateykrunch Fri 17-Mar-17 09:26:05

We (Daughter and I) called for something in a small corner shop and noticed they had jars of rainbow crystals (sherbert type stuff). Ooo, we must have some of that, so shop man, took jar down off shelf, unscrewed lid, got bag, couldn't open it, licked his fingers to open bag and blew into it to make space for crystals. AND...he was most put out when we said...err...don't bother!

Penstemmon Fri 17-Mar-17 09:31:21

I am such a dirty gertie! I would not have batted an eyelid re the crystals incident!

trisher Fri 17-Mar-17 09:43:55

Aw he was probably a weekend lad doing his best to seem professional by offering you another bag! grin He must have missed the hygiene training.

MiniMouse Fri 17-Mar-17 10:30:40

Oh, bless him! I bet his DM would have killed him if she'd known!! 'That's not how I brought you up!' grin

Greyduster Fri 17-Mar-17 12:43:58

Last year, DH bought a pack of scones from our local Morrisons. When he brought them home I noticed that, inside the unopened cellophane packaging, a fly was quite active. He immediately took them back to the store, and stood in the queue at customer services with the unopened scones clutched in his hot little mit, the fly still crawling about. Just as he got to the counter, someone passing through the queue with a large shopping bag shoved DH in the back and the forward jolt caused him to put his thumb through the packaging. The fly flew out, and that was that. He did complain anyway and they gave him back his money, but with the evidence off on the wing, I think they just thought he was a looney and felt sorry for him! We inspect their baked goods very carefully now!

Willow500 Fri 17-Mar-17 12:53:17

LOL Greyduster that is so funny as is the Angel cake incident grin

rosesarered Fri 17-Mar-17 13:48:43

Greyduster I imagined that scene as one from One Foot In The Grave....just the sort of thing to happen to poor old VM. Ditto the post from Hopehope grin

GillT57 Fri 17-Mar-17 14:33:39

My brother was in a cafe some years ago and bought crackers and cheese, ( the little sellophane blocks). After wrestling to open the cheese for about 10 minutes and being unsuccessful he took it to a member of staff and said 'I can't open this cheese' assuming that they would get him another one and open it with a sharp knife, he stood there astounded as the helpful assistant put it to her mouth and opened it with her teeth! She couldn't understand why he did't want it.....grin

Hopehope Fri 17-Mar-17 15:35:40

Really funny Greyduster. I also thought of Victor Meldrew

GillT57 grin

Mapleleaf Fri 17-Mar-17 16:01:02

That was really funny, greyduster. I can imagine your DH face as he tried to explain grin

GrannyMosh Sat 18-Mar-17 10:01:42

Reminds me of a trip to Morrisons a few years ago. The (not-so-young) lady who was serving me with some sausages carefully put on the plastic glove kept for such tasks, then proceeded to pick up the sausages with the OTHER hand! Looked at me like I was speaking Martian when I explained why I was almost crying with laughter. I had a quiet word at the customer service desk on my way out and suggested she might benefit from retraining.

amber22 Sat 18-Mar-17 10:12:15

what about cashiers who lick their fingers when picking up/opening plastic bags? Not so common now they don't give free bags, but usually they look really puzzled when I ask them not to. Surely that's part of the hygiene training?

pollyperkins Sat 18-Mar-17 11:08:59

If this is what they do when the customer is watching, one wonders what goes on behind the scenes?!!

rosesarered Sat 18-Mar-17 11:48:31

Don't even think about it Polly !

Charleygirl Sat 18-Mar-17 11:56:51

Why so many cafes and restaurants get low "scores on the doors" because we do not see what is going on in the kitchen.

Legs55 Sat 18-Mar-17 12:08:32

Having worked in catering not much I haven't seen, as my DM always says "what the eye don't see the heart don't grieve" but in front of the Customer....no, no, no. Cream cake incident made my day & fly in the box of scones grin

Yorkshiregel Sat 18-Mar-17 13:26:20

With my OH it is people handing you a cup of tea or something with their fingers all around the top of the glass/cup. He hates it.

Feel sorry for the lad, but he should have offered you another cake not another bag.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 18-Mar-17 13:30:31

Not food related, but my late FIL used to lick the tip of his pencil when he did the crossword puzzle. It made me cringe. I can feel my teeth curling up with the memory!

allatsea Sat 18-Mar-17 14:43:01

For me its the takeaway cups in coffee chains, where the lid that you drink from is picked up and pushed firmly into place with the palm of the hand, by the assistant Barista

sarahellenwhitney Sat 18-Mar-17 14:49:38

Not in the same category but sure many others watching a news programme concerning food manufacturers may have had the same thoughts that I did.
A production line showing sausages being wrapped where the workers had the appropriate clothing but never wore masks over mouth and nose.?
My first thought was what if a 'sudden' cough or sneeze occurred ?.Covered hands go over mouth /nose then carry on packing sausages?
Am to fussy?hmm