Gransnet forums

Chat

Elasticated trousers - any recommendations?

(28 Posts)
holdthetonic Fri 17-Mar-17 21:47:44

It seems the time has come to invest in some trousers with an elasticated waist band.....confused

When I sit down in my jeans they're just too tight around my middle but they fit perfectly well everywhere else. (A bigger size would be too baggy). i'm size 10/12.

Can anyone recommend some stylish / comfy trousers. I suffer from IBS (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) and sometime my tummy sometimes swells up a bit so I'm looking for comfort..

Luckygirl Fri 17-Mar-17 21:50:55

Cotton Traders elasticated waist jeans - very nice.

I also sometimes wear maternity jeans - very comfy.

I am not overweight, but have got to the point where I value comfort! - and I have never liked anything tight round my waist.

aggie Fri 17-Mar-17 21:56:26

I am another fan of Cotton traders , their jeans are quite dressy and the material has a bit of "give" in it , very forgiving

hildajenniJ Fri 17-Mar-17 22:52:46

I love my jeggings. I wear them with tunic tops or dresses. They are very comfortable. My DH tried to get me to buy a pair for months before I took the plunge.

mumofmadboys Sat 18-Mar-17 06:47:23

I have black jeggings from M and S with elasticated waist. Very comfy and good fit.

Nana3 Sat 18-Mar-17 07:39:50

I have a few pairs of thicker, winter leggings from next, a black and white pair from Redken at Debenhams and some from M&S. I think M&S are your best bet. You will need some longer tops too. Our local Dobbies do Cotton Traders.

holdthetonic Sat 18-Mar-17 08:13:34

Thank you - it seems jeggings are the way to go.! Will also check out Cotton traders.
A friend has some lovely tie -waisted loose trousers from Whistles but sadly they don't make them any longer.

Christinefrance Sat 18-Mar-17 08:24:00

Lands End do some too, be careful though their sizing is generous. I have had problems recently with Cotton Traders my online security prevents me using their checkout. They suggest reducing my security when I visit their site but I'm not happy with that solution.

rosesarered Sat 18-Mar-17 08:32:08

holdthetonic I don't usually buy any elsticated waist items, but saw a good quality pair of jeans ( cheap!) at Debenhams so bought them.They come in black, white and pale grey.I think they are about £20. A nice weight, not thin, with a bit of stretch in them and narrow-ish legs.The elastic bit is nice too,a wide mini-cummerbund type which fits very snugly with no 'digging in'.Go into Debs and have a look at them.smile

grannypiper Sat 18-Mar-17 08:36:39

I have 2 pairs of M&S elasticated trousers that i used for work i bought the black pair 15 years ago when i worked in pre school, i have spent hours on my new on scratchy carpet tiles, they have been covered in gloop,paint, wee and goodness knows what else. I wore them every day and washed them twice a week and they still look new and the knee's haven't gone white. So i am more than happy to recommend them

Bbnan Sat 18-Mar-17 08:47:32

Try Robbel trousers.....casual to well cut and all pull on.....also Joseph Ribkofff for good wear......m and s fit my waist but too baggy on hips and legs

Niobe Sat 18-Mar-17 09:45:26

Holdthetonic, My friend had this problem and she found that if she bought men's trousers they fit perfectly as the waist/hip ratio was better for her body shape. Worth trying.

Charleygirl Sat 18-Mar-17 10:01:06

grannypiper I agree. M&S trousers used to be of good quality, ie like the pair that you bought 15 years ago. Today's quality is very different ill fitting and very thin using poor quality material.

goldengirl Sat 18-Mar-17 11:48:21

Lands End make comfortable trousers and I see Adini and Kettlewell do too which I might try. I like my Cotton Trader elasticated waist jeans and I wear tunics so the waist - and my bum - are well covered

grannypiper Sat 18-Mar-17 17:20:38

Bbnan i have yet to find a pair of trousers that are too baggy on the hips grin

grannypiper Sat 18-Mar-17 17:22:55

charleygirl i am sure you are right. I bought a new pair a few weeks ago and they just dont feel the same.

Azie09 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:15:05

Damart do quite nicely styled, reasonably priced elasticated trousers. Buy online through the website www.damart.co.uk I think. I bought some in the sale and they were very good quality.

Bbnan Sat 18-Mar-17 23:38:35

M an s sizing seems to have changed over the years and I seem to have an abundance of material at my hips and the top of my legs...waist is fine....I wear a 16 and they look daft...robbel trousers fit waist bum and a slimming effect on hips and thighs...fit is perfect for me

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 18-Mar-17 23:45:27

Jeggings or some tummy specific exercises? Plank positions, not sit ups.

BlueBelle Sun 19-Mar-17 06:18:00

Jeggins are great as they are totally fashionable

suzied Sun 19-Mar-17 06:28:00

Uniqglo do great leggings that look like trousers for £19.( used to be £15 but prices are creeping up)

suzied Sun 19-Mar-17 06:29:44

www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/women/bottoms/leggings-trousers

Badenkate Sun 19-Mar-17 08:19:56

Getting a decent length is my problem. Most seem to do a maximum inside length of 31" and I need 33".

goldengirl Sun 19-Mar-17 11:23:48

I have a similar problem Badenkate. 29" suits me best. Cotton Traders do this length but sometimes I want something a bit smarter.

Elrel Sun 19-Mar-17 12:29:58

I haven't forgiven M&S for lengthening their Short trousers about ten years ago. I used to be confident they'd be right for me until the morning a new, untried, pair weren't.
Charleygirl- yes some of the fabrics they use now are just nasty. Several in fact. However I do love the jeggings I found in the sale. Unusually I got an unsolicited compliment from oldest DGS on looking trendy, he would also tell me, and his DM, if we looked awful! Perhaps I should bribe him to come shopping! All three brothers love being bought nice shirts and he asked for brogues for his 18th!