Gransnet forums

Chat

'Red Nose' or slightly 'Red Face' Day?

(37 Posts)
Rosina Mon 27-Mar-17 11:03:09

Having sat through a few items on the Red Nose Day event on TV, I did find some of the content tasteless. I do wonder if I am prudish and stuck with a 1950's attitude but as this is supposed to be family entertainment, why was Susannah Reid asked a lot of grubby questions about bed sheets, threatened with a plastic penis, and sitting on a sofa with a pair of what appeared to be revoltingly soiled jeans. The 'Love Actually' sequel was well done but Russell Brand, and his greasy sidekick Jonathan Ross, seemed to be going for the 'behind the bike sheds at school' humour in their usual self indulgent manner. I am turning into Mary Whitehouse or did anyone else feel the same way?

PamelaJ1 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:11:27

I think he did Ana, not so altruistic!
We tried Red Nose Day briefly twice.
Very briefly! I remember An interview with Frank Skinner when he said he was going to keep the use of swearing to an absolute minimum to make his act funnier. I think the red nose lot are just not very good at funny, just rude.
We don't donate either , we donate to charities of our choice.

Jalima Mon 27-Mar-17 18:49:40

Well, I didn't watch it and I meant to give the DGC some money to take into school but forgot blush
However - school now expects encourages them to go in on Comic Relief Day dressed up and to help raise money, which, of course, they love doing and it does give them an understanding that not every child is as fortunate as they are.

hildajenniJ Mon 27-Mar-17 21:02:12

I turned it off when I realised that Jonathan Ross was presenting. I can't stand and him, and Russell Brand gets right up my nose! It gets worse every year. I think I'm pretty broad minded, but I though the Comic Relief programme was a load of rubbish.

rosesarered Mon 27-Mar-17 21:08:28

I never watch it ( never have) but it seems that this year was a particular nadir for the Red Nose Evening, according to just about everyone.
DGC do fund raising at school which they enjoy, and bought DGC some Red Nose Products from Sainsburys which they liked, particularly the round drinking cup.
Some of the celebs hqave always been full of their own importance, but having Rossy and Brand on made it almost sure it would be lousy.

Elrel Tue 28-Mar-17 01:05:35

I thought it was awful. The genuine dignity and courage of the people being helped, in Africa and here, contrasted with the shallow vulgarity of the unfunny comedians. Ed Sheeran appeared to be a decent caring person.

sunseeker Tue 28-Mar-17 10:27:02

I understand Ed Sheeran has used his own money to house some abused boys he met rather than the money raised by the programme.

GillT57 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:16:22

I find these type of programmes patronising and self indulgent. Also, can't stand seeing the general public baying and hooting at the so called entertainment. That sneering attitude of mine applies to many programmes such as X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Red Nose Day, Children in Need etc etc. I donate to charities, and do appreciate that some people need to be bullied into encourage to donate, but I hate mass, yobbish ( the style of show, not the public), people standing in the street getting excited about a sleb type entertainment. And as for Mrs Brown, pitiful, unfunny crap tosh. Tell me I am not alone

Luckygirl Tue 28-Mar-17 17:57:59

The genuine dignity and courage of the people being helped, in Africa and here, contrasted with the shallow vulgarity of the unfunny comedians. Exactly Elrel

Willow500 Wed 29-Mar-17 12:47:33

Pleased I didn't watch it - I've only seen it once and that was enough. Piers Morgan obviously thought the same about the item with Susannah Reed as he mentioned it on GMB on Monday saying he thought it was just awful - she had no idea what was going to happen it seems. I don't like any of these comic money raising events and also prefer to give to charities in other ways.

Treebee Wed 29-Mar-17 19:22:08

I'm relieved to read these comments. I usually watch and enjoy Comic Relief. This year I found it puerile and amateurish. They still raised a lot of money which is good as long as it's spent efficiently and goes to the right place.
I prefer to use World Vision or other longstanding charities.

Millymoo Wed 29-Mar-17 19:35:15

I tuned in by accident saw Lenny Henry shouting telling people to be quiet (think it was a Graham Norton bit) I thought it was very aggressive, made me squirm, so I turned it off.