Gransnet forums

Chat

So do your children "interrogate your finances"?

(97 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Apr-17 16:47:26

www.theguardian.com/money/2017/apr/02/the-lost-generation-credit-crunch-thirtysomething-brokebroke

I have just finished reading the above article, which appeared in Sunday's Observer.

I have every sympathy with young people who despite their best efforts can't get on the housing ladder, can't find secure jobs, can't see themselves ever having a decent pension - and yes, I believe there are lots of them, though I prefer to blame government policies rather than a previous generation. I have no sympathy whatever with the author of this piece, Andrew Hankinson, who seems to think he has been dealt a very rough hand despite spending his life so far doing exactly what he wanted (writing one book, a bit of lowly paid work for magazines, studying for a Masters, then a PhD) despite not being able to help his wife support him and his family without tapping up his mother for their house deposit, to clear off his credit card bills, "to see him through a tricky period of PhD applications". As he moans on, bewailing his lot in life, we get this:

This isn’t going to be a praise piece is it?” asks my mum. No Mum, it’s more of an audit. After she gives me the £2,000 I feel guilty, but less so when I interrogate her finances. It turns out she has thousands of pounds of savings (including redundancy money from being laid off by Northern Rock); she works part-time at a Marks & Spencer; she gets a state pension (she’s 66 years old); she gets a final salary pension; she gets a winter fuel payment (£200); and she gets a free bus pass, which she doesn’t use as she’s got a BMW.

Well, how jolly dare she? 66 years old, she has savings, a pension, and her house is paid off - how can this have happened? Might it possibly, Andrew, have something to do with the fact that she has worked for it (and is still doing so?). Perhaps she too might have enjoyed the luxury of spending years doing exactly what she wanted, instead of going into what was possibly a very boring career in a bank, but I doubt her parents would have subbed her to do so then smiled indulgently as she "interrogated their finances".

Then we have a lot of old tut about us old folk being responsible for Brexit (no mention of those who voted to remain, or the young folk who apparently would all have voted to do so, but just somehow couldn't find the polling station), and this:

Funnily enough, I didn’t mention that to my mum when I asked her for the £2,000. Not just because it would have queered my pitch, but also because I think threatening pensioners won’t work. Nice son you've got there, Mrs. H.

I've put this in chat, not politics, because I don't want to start another thread about intergenerational unfairness, blaming one generation or another. I just wondered what others thought of this particular journalist. For what it's worth, I think this article has done a disservice to young people who are genuinely struggling, and is a very poor representation of the difficulties they face.

Ana Tue 04-Apr-17 16:51:11

So now he's 39 and still moaning...I'd be ashamed to be his mother.

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Apr-17 16:58:38

Speechless Maggiemaybe

Well, nearly.
I would have booted him up the backside told him to go away and earn his own money years ago.

NanaandGrampy Tue 04-Apr-17 17:02:04

Just glad he's not mine !! Id have told him to grow up long ago.... :-)

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Apr-17 17:09:00

I'm glad I'm not alone! Comments have been disabled on the article and most of them removed - I do wish I'd seen them!

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:10:23

Surely it must be tongue in cheek, surely no-one could lack that much self-awareness of what a self-indulgent prat he makes himself sound?

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Apr-17 17:13:51

You'd think, wouldn't you, Jalima? There's an economist mentioned in the article several times, Danny Blanchflower, who's quoted as saying With the Brexit vote, the old declared war on the young, and the young should respond by giving them the middle finger.

For the sake of my blood pressure, I'm not even going to google him! grin

Luckygirl Tue 04-Apr-17 17:15:35

It is pitiful really and makes me proud of my family. That poor woman must be so embarrassed by him. How dare he put all that in a national newspaper!

We did not ask that house prices should favour us (at eye-watering mortgage rates!); or that the government of the time provided proper student grants; or that some of us have been lucky enough to skim under the wire and get our state pension at 60 etc. - so the concept of blame is not appropriate. It was simply how life was.

My DC have never asked about our finances and I have never asked about theirs, although I can take an educated guess. We have helped them along the way, sharing the two small legacies we had from our parents for which they were very grateful.

One DC does know a bit about our savings as they bought our home from us so that we could move to a bungalow. They did not ask what our finances were, but I told them when they expressed concern that we might be selling to them at too low a price. And they also said that they would "see us right" if we found ourselves in any difficulty.

So, after reading this ghastly man's whinge, I feel very proud of them all - they stand on their own two feet and ask for nothing. They are grateful when we have been able to help (either with money or child care - which saves them money); but in no way feel entitled. I think they are a great bunch!

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:17:40

Oh yes, have heard of him, I think he was mentioned in a thread once.
The real Danny Blanchflower was a footballer and a most respected sportsman and journalist.
This bod appears to have pinched his name because he is not really a Danny, I think he's a David.
Trading on someone else's fame.

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Apr-17 17:18:57

That's just how I feel about my lot, Luckygirl, and just how our family works too. I suspect most people would be embarrassed to be related to Andrew. smile

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:20:01

Each generation lives their lives according to the hand they are dealt and resentment is non-productive.

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:20:32

I would leave my money to the dog's home if he belonged to me.

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Apr-17 17:20:51

Ah yes, that's where I knew the name from! No doubt DH will have mentioned it at some stage (in one ear and out the other grin).

Katek Tue 04-Apr-17 17:26:19

They wouldn't dare! (Half) Joking apart I don't think it would ever cross their minds

Penstemmon Tue 04-Apr-17 17:35:00

Oh dear! Whilst I would step in and offer help if I thought DDs needed financial help that I could support they do not come asking! Both, through hard work and sensible choices, do have homes that they are buying, occasional holidays and run a car. We did give our DD1 a contribution to the deposit on their first flat..that was because we thought they were not getting married so in leiu of contributing to wedding costs! 10 yeas later they did get married..but paid for most of it themselves! Neither have high powered jobs.

Fitzy54 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:52:23

An intelligent man who thinks the world owes him a living. He could get a well paid job albeit dull, and he would be fine. But instead he wants to write and thinks some old people should give him half their pension because they might have voted Brexit!

Faye Tue 04-Apr-17 18:05:50

Hopefully after reading what he thinks, his mother doesn't give him anymore money. hmm

GillT57 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:48:13

I agree that we do not need yet another discussion of interest rates/student grants etc., and think that the young man in question is very unfair in his sweeping statements about Brexit and the older generation, most inaccurate too if GN is anything to go by. I think the main issue in this article ( read it Sunday evening too) is that he somehow thought it a good idea to work part time and study for a PhD without any apparent forethought about how he was going to support his family. Whether he expected his Mother to help out ( as he did) or the state to help out through working tax credits/housing benefit etc while he pursued his studies, it shows a lack of responsibility and maturity.

willsmadnan Tue 04-Apr-17 18:53:41

Well, that's him out of the will then!

Peep Tue 04-Apr-17 19:01:10

Well he got the brexit bit wrong.....mother (83) voted remain. Daughter (34) voted leave. The rest is just the same old thing blame the older generation for life not being perfect. I notice he doesn't mention those of us that no longer get a pension at 60 and have lost out on thousands of pounds.

Ilovecheese Tue 04-Apr-17 19:17:30

Yup, Jalima1108* and willsmadnan exactly what I thought when I read his piece. That poor woman, i hope none of her friends know that he is her son she must be mortified.

notanan Tue 04-Apr-17 19:44:59

I think the main issue in this article ( read it Sunday evening too) is that he somehow thought it a good idea to work part time and study for a PhD without any apparent forethought about how he was going to support his family

I don't condone anything else he's said but do know that academic funding has had cut after cut recently and know several people who could support their families going into it who then had the financial rug pulled from under them.

Academic studentships and contracts are not what they used to be and they're getting worse every year. It's becoming impossible to plan long term for one now, and also friends have had their studentships regularly paid months late.

If people knew how bad it was, nobody would do it.

Deedaa Tue 04-Apr-17 20:29:07

I could hazard a reasonable guess as to how much money our children have, and we have helped them out from time to time. They know how much our house is worth but I think they probably underestimate our savings (and I intend to keep it like that grin )

grannypiper Wed 05-Apr-17 08:42:14

Mine wouldn't dare question my finances .When we die there will be a small amount in the bank for our 2 grandchildren and as the house will be split 6 ways they wont be rolling in it.It's not my job to leave them anything.

gillybob Wed 05-Apr-17 09:31:59

What a luxury it must be to work part time go to college or uni doing something you love and being given various handouts to keep you going.

Someone needs a kick into the real world. Which incidentally (for most) is not massive savings pots, valuable houses, part time jobs and final salary pensions.