Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you deal with compliments ?

(68 Posts)
Rigby46 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:44:33

Are you gracious, embarrassed, toss theem aside? Do you give them?

NanaandGrampy Wed 12-Apr-17 15:50:41

I do give compliments. Kind words cost nothing and can make someone's day.

I used to struggle being on the receiving end but now I just say thank you and accept gracefully . The more the merrier I say smile

Ana Wed 12-Apr-17 15:56:05

I often give them, but have sometimes been rather dismissive when on the receiving end - I do try harder now to accept gracefully but it doesn't come naturally!

Christinefrance Wed 12-Apr-17 15:59:05

I'm much the same as you Ana, do find it difficult to receive sometimes. Think its a British thing.

Grannyknot Wed 12-Apr-17 16:22:52

I give compliments, including to strangers.

When I worked in an office if someone told me I looked nice, I would always say "I know". And that would make people laugh. Because if you've taken care to look good then you usually feel good too grin

I'd also say "Thank you" of course.

rosesarered Wed 12-Apr-17 16:33:43

I give compliments all the time, and accept them gratefully graciously.grin

ninathenana Wed 12-Apr-17 16:40:31

I said to a lady of a similar age once that she had good taste as I had the same skirt she was wearing. She glared at me as if I'd majorly insulted her smile
On the rare occasion I'm complemented I just say "thank you" with a smile. I do compliment others including strangers. I hope it brightens their day in some small way.

Bellanonna Wed 12-Apr-17 17:03:11

Oh nina how strange. I always say things like that. Maybe she didn't hear you properly? I, too, compliment strangers, often the girl in checkout with unusual nail colour. Or just anyone really. It kind of just comes out!

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 17:41:16

I give them and should learn to accept them more graciously instead of pointing out my faults.
blush

kittylester Wed 12-Apr-17 18:12:40

I give lots but find it really hard to accept them apart from dh. My brother is on a mission to make me accept them grace (grate) fully. grin

KatyK Wed 12-Apr-17 18:35:58

Same here Jalima I try to give them to make others feel good. People often say to me these days 'haven't you got nice hair or nice teeth?' I am tempted to say 'my teeth and hair are false', which they are. I have to stop myself and just say 'thank you'.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 12-Apr-17 18:46:24

I try to accept them gracefully and say "thank you" with a smile on the very rare occasion that the need arises. Today I complimented a boy of about 9 on his hair, which was done in lots of colours and looked amazing, and he gave me a lovely smile and said "thank you", and his dad smiled too, so everyone was happy. smile

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 19:22:55

I say thank you. If however someone keeps on gushing I find it pretty false.

cangran Wed 12-Apr-17 20:14:47

Genuine compliments make both the giver and receiver feel good but sometimes, although I have thought how nice a friend looked, I don't think to compliment her at the time, and regret it later. I am trying to get better at receiving compliments (my natural instinct is to put myself down). My husband never compliments me and so it really does give me a lift when someone else does. Two weeks ago I got my hair cut short and when I came home my husband said I looked like a man (if I had reacted to this I know he would have said I don't have a sense of humour!). I was feeling a bit down and so it was really nice to meet a good friend the next day who immediately said how lovely my new style was and that it really suited me!

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 20:21:11

That's pretty sad cangran.
Not a nice man you married then.
We only live once and I hope you don't put up with him for the rest of it.

Christinefrance Wed 12-Apr-17 20:31:01

Saak you seem very keen on advising people to leave their partners, I've read your comments on other threads.
cangran your husband was quite insensitive, do you ever compliment him ? Sometimes we all take each other for granted. It's a good job we have friends to cheer us up, other women understand how important it is to feel good about ourselves, men not always.

Elrel Wed 12-Apr-17 20:34:14

At slimming group someone whd lost several stone said her husband hadn't commented. She went home one day with a sash, we said he'd notice that and the next week she said he still wasn't aware of her achievement. Some sad lack of communication there.

cornergran Wed 12-Apr-17 20:35:42

Men, eh, cangran? Sometimes they just get it wrong. Just believe your friend,. smile. I do give compliments and have learned to accept them with a smile, if for no other reason than it makes the person giving the compliment feel good too.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 20:36:45

Im more for not entering into the man is the king of the castle thing.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 20:38:42

Im more for thinking that we are all equal and someone constantly speaking to me in a derogatory way would make me leave them. I don't believe in putting up and shutting up.

ninathenana Wed 12-Apr-17 21:10:05

That's up to you of course saak but is it necessary to advise others to leave too.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 21:20:35

Yes men who constantly make women feel like shit do need to be divorced, left of whatever you care to call it.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Apr-17 21:25:48

Not sure I'd go on line to happily berate my husband/partner either. If you have respect from both sides you wouldn't do such a thing would you?

aggie Wed 12-Apr-17 22:00:50

Don't think I would chuck OH for not admiring my hair !!

Rigby46 Wed 12-Apr-17 22:37:21

Some comments on here really resonate with me -eg ana's. I was brought up as perhaps many of us were to shrug off a compliment and had to work really hard to learn to graciously accept them. I hope I do that well now - I try and add something to the thank you such as , if the comment was 'your new hairstyle suits you' ' thank you, I've got a lovely hairdresser' - just to make it a bit more of a response. I used to say things like eg in response to hairstyle compliment ' oh really , I think it's a bit messy'. Then I realised that dismissing a person's compliment is really saying they don't have any taste! I was discussing this with a colleague the other day and she said she'd complimented someone on a pretty necklace they were wearing and the response was ' well so it should be it was very expensive ' . We were both a bit shock .