Gransnet forums

Chat

Snoring

(53 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 15-Apr-17 09:13:18

Anyone got a cure? OH says he is contemplating divorce!

Teetime Sat 15-Apr-17 09:14:20

Steam inhalation before bed to clear your passages.

NanaandGrampy Sat 15-Apr-17 09:20:48

Separate bedrooms smile , never slept better in our lives !

tinaf1 Sat 15-Apr-17 09:27:43

I'm with NanaandGrampy ??

Luckygirl Sat 15-Apr-17 10:00:19

Ah - but who has which bedroom? - one is lovely - large with far-reaching amazing views as you sit in bed with your cup of tea. The other is a small spare bedroom with nothing particularly to recommend it. Divorce looms once more!!

Greenfinch Sat 15-Apr-17 10:22:13

Lose weight but perhaps you don't need to .????

I have the same problem and I do need to lose weight.

Check out you have not got sleep apnea.

Greyduster Sat 15-Apr-17 10:26:27

DH says I snore, but i've never heard it so it can't possibly be true! ? What about those little strips you put across the bridge of your nose that are supposed to stop snoring? They are supposed to keep your nasal passages open.

KatyK Sat 15-Apr-17 10:32:07

My DH snores so loudly it's like a pneumatic drill. We've tried everything - the strips over his nose, special herb filled pillows, potions, a trip to the docs. Nothing works. He is not overweight.

Luckygirl Sat 15-Apr-17 13:11:12

I am not overweight; but the problem seems to have started when I had a cold last November and have never stopped coughing - a wheezy sort of cough. I wake up in the mornings with my throat sore and dry from coughing and snoring. Since my main life activity is singing it is becoming a true pain in the neck.

NanaandGrampy Sat 15-Apr-17 13:49:54

You of course get the magnificent bedroom (as do I ) Luckygirl , it's only right. Grampy has no interest in the size of his bedroom so it would be wasted on him.

I wonder from your symptoms if it is some sort of sinus infection causing nasal drip down your throats whilst you're sleeping? That could mean you're sleeping with your mouth open hence the sore throat?

I had something similar and had to get antibiotics in the end to clear it up .

tinaf1 Sat 15-Apr-17 15:00:46

Yes I agree you get the best room Luckygirl only fair as you are not the one complaining about said snoring ??

Christinefrance Sat 15-Apr-17 15:46:46

Yes same here N & G, strange though neither of us wanted the guest room with its en suite. I have the best room but am furthest from the bathroom, swings and roundabouts.

teifi Sat 15-Apr-17 18:38:06

Cotton reel down the back of your jimjam top to discourage you from lying on your back?

Luckygirl Sat 15-Apr-17 19:13:22

Just been out and bought some earplugs - for him!

phoenix Sat 15-Apr-17 22:21:31

The theory that you only snore if sleeping on your back is proved false by both Mr P and Digby.

Thank goodness Digby's snoring is relatively quiet.smile

stillaliveandkicking Sat 15-Apr-17 22:44:52

If its a recent thing due to a cold etc. go back to the doctors and get something to "dry" up the residue mucus. I have rhinitis which is an allergy under the same umbrella as athsma, hayfeaver etc. and swing between having a blocked or dripping nose.

People do tend to snore if on their backs due to their position in sleep, mucus cannot drain properly if on the back.

Greenfinch Sun 16-Apr-17 07:55:19

Agreed phoenix.I have been known to snore sitting completely upright.Very embarrassing when travelling on public transport. blush

floorflock Sun 16-Apr-17 08:44:29

I'm with Nanaandgrampy seperate rooms are a must. We have never been happier. It also has added benefits of no fighting over the quilt, window open/window shut, not waking each other up when one or the other gets up in the night or early morning etc..

acanthus Sun 16-Apr-17 09:01:00

Separate rooms definitely - bliss! We even have separate bathrooms.

Sufjansgranny Sun 16-Apr-17 09:02:31

My OH has a deviated septum in his left nostril. Over the past 40 (!) years he pondered having surgery but never took the plunge. Now, at 70, surgeons are not keen at all on operating. And, yes, he snores like a pneumatic drill. Separate bedrooms is indeed the only option...

Gaggi3 Sun 16-Apr-17 09:24:38

DH's snoring improved dramatically after his heart attack, nearly 8 years ago, and the insertion of a stent (in his heart not his nose). He didn't have to lose weight. Obviously I 'm not advocating this as a cure, just saying.

eGJ Sun 16-Apr-17 09:29:58

a friend was recommended oropharyngeal exercises and having done these for six weeks the snoring is no more! These are six different exercises with tongue and mouth which do take up time in the day, but give night-time benefits!

annifrance Sun 16-Apr-17 09:35:45

Just got it sorted after a tip from a friend. Run your fingers lightly over his face as of you were a spider. Works a treat for us.

meandashy Sun 16-Apr-17 09:50:28

I can sympathise about the snoring. I snore very loudly, sometimes waking myself! I can even snore whilst awake! I don't have a partner to moan about it though ?
It may be that you need to see a dr op.
I hope you resolve it soon

Luckygirl Sun 16-Apr-17 09:53:35

Well - he described it this morning as sleeping with a lion! And said I have always done it - this I do not believe! And in any event, he has strange things happen in his sleep due to his PD - he acts out his dreams and he has even tried to strangle me on one occasion!