Gransnet forums

Chat

I need a kick up the bum!

(45 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 17-Apr-17 09:12:04

My DGD left yesterday after a week's visit, hence I've done no brisk walking, usually 1-2 hours daily. I just can't summon up the energy to squeeze into my Sweaty Betty's and go out.

My usual partner in crime is away and although I often walk alone I do find it boring. The sky's a bit grey but no rain forecast so no excuse really. I might have a cup of tea and think things over!

Anyone been outside yet?

Anya Mon 17-Apr-17 09:14:52

Yes, I let the chucks out at 5.30am....then went back to bed with a cup of tea. Just thinking about walking to the shops to get something for 'pudding' tonight as we're invited out to DD's and I promised to bring dessert...or shall I drive? hmm

Anniebach Mon 17-Apr-17 09:16:19

Drive

PRINTMISS Mon 17-Apr-17 09:23:47

I have no option but to walk to the shops today, we are right out of bread and short on milk, although we have some long life. I am waiting for the enthusiasm for a walk to the shops to kick in. Think it might take a while, but we will not starve.

Elrel Mon 17-Apr-17 09:30:31

The two big efforts these days for me are getting out of bed and getting through the front door! And getting off Gransnet of course ...

Alima Mon 17-Apr-17 09:31:52

Only as far as the paper shop. Could you borrow a dog to go with you Riverwalk?

Riverwalk Mon 17-Apr-17 09:38:20

Only nearby dog is a very snuffly pug Alima who gets taken by car for her walk.

On Saturday I took DGD to Battersea Dogs & Cats Home - should have brought one home on loan for a week!

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 09:42:04

I looked out of the window and saw some gardening that should be done but thought I'd check FB and GN first hmm

Riverwalk Mon 17-Apr-17 09:46:18

I'm about to stand up ... it's a start.

Teetime Mon 17-Apr-17 09:50:44

Golf for me this afternoon - usually takes about 4 hours , 12,000 steps on average, 1000 calories- then I can eat some more chocolate and drink wine- Happy Easter Monday. smile

LadyGracie Mon 17-Apr-17 10:01:01

I wish I liked golf!

MawBroon Mon 17-Apr-17 10:15:02

On Saturday I took DGD to Battersea Dogs & Cats Home
shockshock

Have Social Services/Childline been informed?
grin

TerriBull Mon 17-Apr-17 10:20:56

My husband plays golf and he tells me constantly the benefits of the walking whilst appreciating nature etc., all sounds good, spoilt only by stopping all the time to wack a little white ball in the next hole grin

Riverwalk Mon 17-Apr-17 10:34:03

Maw grin

Although she would happily have stayed there I thought it best to bring her back with me!

Right, I'm all togged-up and raring to go.

Chewbacca Mon 17-Apr-17 10:35:41

I'm up but not dressed yet. I've had 2nd cup of coffee which gave me the energy to throw a few mealy worms to the birds and check out gransnet. Maybe 1 more coffee will give me the boost to get dressed and actually do something with the day. Buts it's been a really busy Easter weekend and I really feel like just crashing out today. hmm

Teetime Mon 17-Apr-17 11:11:13

Didn't say I liked golf - I just do it and badly. Use it or lose it.

tanith Mon 17-Apr-17 11:12:33

I was up early as I wanted to strip the bed but at the moment walking is out as I'm going for Hip surgery tomorrow!! So not much walking today just pottering around indoors, youngest granddaughter just arrived to spend time with us, requested boiled eggs for lunch smile I might join her.

Riverwalk Mon 17-Apr-17 14:10:54

I did a riverwalk for 1hr 50mins, approx 460 calories burned-off, so feeling rather smug! About to tuck into left-over lamb, and wine. smile

Anyone care to share what physical activity has been achieved today, or 'fess-up that they're still on the sofa? grin

BBbevan Mon 17-Apr-17 14:23:04

Gardening today. We have moved recently and the garden is enormous but very unkempt. So we have a skip and are sorting through loads of garden rubbish left behind. Just in to make DH a cup of tea. He will have to stop soon as he has a hospital appointment tomorrow for his arthritic knee. And we don't want it too swollen

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 14:31:44

I have done some gardening (chopping back the old dead bits on penstemons, fushias etc, which should have been done six weeks ago and also weeded. Then a big black cloud appeared so I came in and prepared lunch.
Oh! I also did some very clever things with the pc and printer as we had been having problems and, fingers crossed, have sorted it now. smile Feeling quite pleased with myself and I hope it is not pride before it all goes wrong again.

hildajenniJ Mon 17-Apr-17 14:36:50

Just for a walk around the garden, (and it's not very big). I need to go round again with a poo bag grin, and I went to get a photo of this to send to my DD.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 14:40:06

I like those rocks, now those are what I call rocks!

GracesGranMK2 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:07:56

Err ... most people use a bathroom hilda grin I have just come back from my mother's and she is was having a grumpy day for some reason - so I am indulging in wine gums (no chocolate for me so I don't feel guilty). Gardening - I bought a couple of half barrels; walking - round the supermarket next to the DIY shop with the half barrels and I am telling myself that I had such a busy week last week that I deserve a rest.

Why are there not 'people walkers'. A quick trip round picking each of say eight people on the way and you could walk people like dog walkers walk dogs. It would have to be a reasonable price for me but older people need (well I do) some one to motivate them smile

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:14:31

Isn't chocolate good for you though GGMK2? I thought it contained flavanols or something, well it's a good excuse as I ate some this morning because I was frustrated with the printer which wouldn't print.

I used to see the mums take turns to walk a crocodile of children to school, I would do the same and collect up some adults to walk but it's raining.

Are you walking with the half barrels or rolling them?

GracesGranMK2 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:28:26

It's the milk Jalima. I think there is some that is a possible but I am happier not to risk it. I think plain chocolate is particularly good for you generally so if you have only had the milk variety perhaps you should be looking out for some plain too smile

If you did a crocodile style walk I think you could be very popular (on a dry day). If you made the walk circular you could pick up and drop off very easily.

I lifted the half barrels so even more exercise! (I might have found it difficult to straighten up if I had rolled them) Not sure it was a very good lift though and I did park the car as close as I could to where they were going smile