Gransnet forums

Chat

Finding the beat SIM, provider, for a PAYG mobile phone

(16 Posts)
overthehill Fri 28-Apr-17 14:34:05

We have a landlines with BT so DH and I both have £5 per month SIMs
We never go over the allowances of 200 mins talk time, unlimited texts 500mb of data. Switch the mobile data only when necessary as we have WiFi at home and lots of places like costs witherspoon it's free.

Parklife1 Fri 28-Apr-17 11:21:44

8p a minute seems a lot to me, but then I'm not savvy either. I have a contract with data I never use, so I will ditch it when I can and get Giffgaff.

Auntieflo Thu 27-Apr-17 09:34:44

I would just like to thank all who kindly responded to my question. I am with Tesco, and had lost all my credit, twice. Some of you will know that I am not at all tech savvy, so when it happened once, I thought I had left my phone on, and it just 'dribbled' away! After the second top up, and I know it wasn't a lot, £10.00, disappeared as well, I got cross and thought I would change provider. Paid a visit to Carphone Warehouse, where Tracy said that something called Roaming was switched on. What is that? Anyway she swithched me off. Also I didn't know about unlocking, I do now, although, I still haven't managed to do it. Several on line chats with far away folk, then I paid a visit to the mobile phone shop in a big Tesco store. Ayrton was extremely helpful, and tried to do the unlocking for me. The code provided wasn't doing it's stuff. I was left with the message that the ethereal someone, would get back to me after checking with Nokia. Did he? did he heck. So this morning I had another on line chat. I have discovered that my calls are charged at 8p per minute??? That doesn't seem too bad, so I am still with Tesco network, at the moment. If I have any more problems, you may hear about them.?

gretel Thu 20-Apr-17 17:17:09

three mobile have a payg tariff which is 3p per minute calls, 2p per text and 1p for 1mb of data.

silverlining48 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:06:31

Payg iphone!! Oops.

silverlining48 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:06:10

I have a payg ipad, am soth o2 and pay 5 p a minute for calls and the same for texts. Only use for emergencies but learning to use it for messages etc.

ninathenana Wed 19-Apr-17 17:09:26

H is total technophobe he dosen't even know how to text. He has Vodaphone PAYG he puts £20 on every three months or so.
I have EE contract and when we are away in UK he can often get reception when I can't.

grannylyn65 Wed 19-Apr-17 13:34:40

but son swears y giff gaff

grannylyn65 Wed 19-Apr-17 13:34:12

NonnaW Wed 19-Apr-17 12:59:31

DS swears by GiffGaff.

Willow500 Wed 19-Apr-17 12:56:30

Mine's Virgin mobile - don't use the phone for calls much but use Whats App and texts as well as the net. It started off at £5 a month but I increased it to £10 for the data aspect.

bartonlady Tue 18-Apr-17 22:56:16

BT have some good affordable deals. Sim only too.

aggie Tue 18-Apr-17 22:04:56

Carphone Warehouse sorted me , if you have free calls and so many texts you don't need to use them , but a text , even to yourself keeps your phone alive

Norah Tue 18-Apr-17 21:57:26

I use Vodafone.

Nannarose Tue 18-Apr-17 21:01:18

I use Phone Co-op

Auntieflo Tue 18-Apr-17 19:50:20

Hi everyone, I have finally managed to get the unlocking code for my phone. I was locked into Tesco, but I want to find the best way to get the cheapest PAYG deal. Years ago, I had a Virgin account, paid say £10.00 and that would last me for ages. I don't do texts, and just want it as an emergency back up really. With Tesco, what I hadn't realised was that something hadn't been turned off, and it drained my account in next to no time. Also I was told that if I didn't use my phone once a month, I would lose my number!!!. A young girl in Carphone Warehouse was really helpful and turned it off for me, but to get a new SIM, I first had to unlock the phone. This was a long story in itself, but I now have the code, hurray.
So, what I am asking is, has anyone any hints or tips for me as to how to get a PAYG the cheapest way.? IYSWIM . Thanks.