Gransnet forums

Chat

St George's Day

(107 Posts)
grannypiper Sun 23-Apr-17 07:36:53

I hope all of our English Grans have the bunting up and the flag of St George flying high. Have wonderful day celebrating your patron saint. Do any of you have a celebration planned ?

Greenfinch Sun 23-Apr-17 08:11:53

Oh dear!Until you mentioned it,I had not given it a thought.

Riverwalk Sun 23-Apr-17 08:20:06

Thank you grannypiper - to be honest I don't personally know anyone who gives a toss, in fact the majority of people wouldn't even know the date! It's only the likes of UKIP that go on about it.

There doesn't appear to be a GNHQ icon for today so they don't know either!

PRINTMISS Sun 23-Apr-17 08:20:48

I have a photograph of our school all outside in the playground, holding the Union Jack on St. George's Day - that was a long while ago!

kittylester Sun 23-Apr-17 08:34:05

It is a great shame that it is almost a crime to be proud to be English. Still, if labour get in, today will be a bank holiday! grin

whitewave Sun 23-Apr-17 08:36:59

Apparently Manchester is celebrating it!

kiity it isn't a crime to be proud to be English - we just don't make a fuss about these things.

Anniebach Sun 23-Apr-17 08:49:21

Have a good St.George's Day England

ninathenana Sun 23-Apr-17 09:00:43

My neighbour hoists the flag every St. Georges day. Then leaves it to rot until he replaces it the next year.
It's not up yet smile
I always think of cubs and brownies church parade when mine were small.

Greyduster Sun 23-Apr-17 09:03:28

I was quite surprised yesterday when shopping in town to find a Morris dancing festival to celebrate St George's Day. I missed the sword dancers unfortunately - used to enjoy doing that at school! At one time our council would not countenance any such event, or the Flying of flags, in case they "upset" anyone, but in recent years they have done a complete u turn I'm happy to say. All the saints days are celebrated.

NanaandGrampy Sun 23-Apr-17 09:07:27

Well we're celebrating ! Mind you we have been known to celebrate the opening of a paper bag !!

We just have a nice family lunch and spend some time together. I think more should be made of it, there's nothing wrong with being proud of who you are or where you live .

MawBroon Sun 23-Apr-17 09:09:52

Isn't this also Shakespeare's birthday with lots of lovely things going on in Stratford? Hope those who live within striking distance can enjoy.

gillybob Sun 23-Apr-17 09:10:16

I'm with Kittylester and feel that it is almost a crime to be proud to be English.

I will not be "celebrating" St George's day in any particular way, but I might do if more were made of it.

Saggi Sun 23-Apr-17 09:21:31

Too many so called 'special days' to celebrate.Enjoy every day or at least try to. Don't use a special occasion to invite family to eat with you...do it anyway... you just might get a 'yes mum'. Miracles can happen!?

radicalnan Sun 23-Apr-17 09:29:45

Shakespeare far more English than George........who needs saints when we have literature ????

IngeJones Sun 23-Apr-17 09:34:04

KittyLester, the only problem with Corbyn's idea is that we will end up with THREE more bank holidays in a season that already has several. We already have Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day holiday and Late Spring holiday. Then we would add St Patrick's day and St Davids day in March, and St Georges day in April, meaning that spring would be a virtual British shutdown. Only St Andrew's day would fall in Autumn, when everyone has been saying for years that we need a bank holiday.

kittylester Sun 23-Apr-17 09:40:43

I agree! A daft idea!

harrigran Sun 23-Apr-17 09:41:00

I am very aware of what day it is but it is a shame we do not recognise it the way St Patrick or St David's day are celebrated.

paddyann Sun 23-Apr-17 09:46:23

its not thought a crime to be English ,the problem with the St Georges flag is its been hijacked by yobs on the costas and far right organisations such as EDL and BNP .Now when other folk see it heading their way they expect trouble .Its up to the ENGLISH to reclaim it and use it for celebrations.IngeJones In Scotland the last bank holiday of the year is the end of September ,we dont have August bank holidays here so we'd be happy to add St Andrews day in November and Burns night in January .

Aepgirl Sun 23-Apr-17 09:48:00

I always have my St George's Flag out on 23rd April (no, I am not a UKIP member!), and usually get asked if I am supporting the England Football team.

If this is the best Jeremy Corbyn can offer he needs to do a lot more thinking. Bank Holidays mean very little to those who do not work, for whatever reason, and are very disruptive for small companies. The only people who really benefit are the shops.

The only extra Bank Holiday I would welcome would be Trafalgar Day on 21 October.

inishowen Sun 23-Apr-17 09:48:34

I've always wondered why the English don't celebrate. Ireland, Scotland and Wales always make their "Day" special.

Ranworth1 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:48:41

We celebrate it here in Teignmouth www.facebook.com/TeignmouthEvents/posts/457095631032393

Yorkshiregel Sun 23-Apr-17 09:49:12

Happy St George's Day! We have a dragon slaying event in town today!

Witzend Sun 23-Apr-17 09:49:50

Must say I hate the way the English flag has become something to sneer at, at least in some circles. Those same people, I bet, would never dream of sneering at any other flag - Irish or French, or whatever, or at any other nationality's patriotism - unless it was from Trumpites, I suppose....

It happens to be my little Gdd's birthday today, so I should be celebrating with her anyway, but I've got bl**dy shingles, so I'm staying at home with painkillers. ?

Theoddbird Sun 23-Apr-17 09:55:30

One of my grandchildren is two today. I am very patriotic so would never vote labour. I care too much about my country.

Happy St George's Day's everyone

Lynnieg Sun 23-Apr-17 10:00:50

I'm celebrating because it's my wedding anniversary. Pleased to share it with Shakespeare and St George smile