Gransnet forums

Chat

Next Winter holiday

(9 Posts)
Marthajolly1 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:42:06

DP wants to take a four week (or maybe 6 wk) holiday over christmas and new year. Somewhere warm and not too expensive. Any suggestions please as I'm not very well travelled. Self catering would be favoured. We like cities for history and architecture but also like coastal for walking.

MawBroon Tue 25-Apr-17 19:59:54

4-6 week holiday? Somewhere warm?
envyenvyenvy smile

Kateykrunch Tue 25-Apr-17 20:02:43

Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, Canary Island. Fabulous long costal walks from village to village, walk around airport and watch the planes at close quarters. Explore Arreciffe, the Capital, catch the ferry over to Fuerterventura and explore there. Catch the local buses in every direction and explore the other coastal resorts. We did November last year for the whole month and stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment with lounge, diner, kitchen, bathroom and terrace. The weather was lovely.

Cherrytree59 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:11:32

Agree with. Katiekrunch
The Canaries
My aunt spends January in Tenerife

petra Tue 25-Apr-17 20:18:05

Marthajolly1
You might want to give some thought to going away for 4/6 weeks if you are not seasoned travellers, it's a long time if your not used to it. I know, we did it for 7 years.
How far are you prepared to go? You say you are not seasoned travellers, does that mean you haven't been outside Europe. My ex husband, and some friends still go to Egypt in the winter but purely for their diving certificates. The temperature there is sublime in the winter, but it's not good on walks and you would have to go to tourist places for history and that's not safe now.

grannypiper Wed 26-Apr-17 08:21:19

Malta or Cyprus would be my choice.

Kateykrunch Wed 26-Apr-17 09:04:29

Just a thought....check your house insurance, there may be a clause (there is in ours) that the property must not be left unoccupied for more than 31 days.

morethan2 Wed 26-Apr-17 09:13:22

Thanks for that information Kateykrunch

TerriBull Wed 26-Apr-17 09:30:18

I've been to Gran Canaria in December very warm late '70s. It's a four hour flight, not too far, falls short of a long haul. We didn't do self catering but I imagine there's plenty of choice for that option.