Gransnet forums

Chat

Riveting news

(56 Posts)
Teetime Mon 08-May-17 08:53:21

I just thought I would share with you that I'm giving the oven its bi-annual (or should that be twice a year) clean today- its horrendous I hate it. Why don't I do it more often then it wouldn't be so bad. Given that I am obsessive about cleaning and organising everything else what's going on here. Oh well off I go. sad

rosesarered Mon 08-May-17 13:39:10

I get the professional oven cleaners to come and do it once a year.It costs £50 and looks like a new oven afterwards.Worth every penny.
Have just spent that same amount at the dentist seeing the hygenist.

PoshGran Mon 08-May-17 13:43:59

Finger arthritis finally prompted my decision to have my 4 y o double oven cleaned a couple of weeks ago by someone found on Safe Local Trades.
After initial email there was a follow-up phone call for details & reminder he'd need "lots of hot water"; he arrived 10 mins early, covered nearby kitchen surfaces & floor, took the 2 hrs he said it would, cleaned worktop surfaces & sink thoroughly, charged the agreed, pre-stated amount (£50) & gave me a handwritten receipt & business card with the parting shot "I find that people who have had their oven professionally cleaned for the first time usually don't do it themselves again"!
He's been doing the job for 25 years shock
He'll be right in my case! grin

yogagran Mon 08-May-17 14:00:07

pensionpat I've just used the stuff you talk about. It's called Oven Mate. Very efficient & easy

yogagran Mon 08-May-17 14:05:38

I did have a professional oven cleaner in a couple of years ago but ended up having to replace the griddle plate on the hob as it was badly scratched after he'd finished. I would be very hesitant to get someone in again

Beammeupscottie Mon 08-May-17 14:16:42

You can nearly always get a Groupon voucher for an oven clean - about £35 I think. Worth the money. My Oven looked like new as they use industrial strength cleaner the the powerful hands of a workman.

Ana Mon 08-May-17 14:18:46

Oo-er, Beammeup...blush

SueDonim Mon 08-May-17 14:33:39

I have a self-cleaning oven but the shelves and door still need cleaning. I was forced into doing them last night after an incident involving stewed rhubarb. Oops! grin

Jalima1108 Mon 08-May-17 14:34:50

That sounds very enjoyable Beammeupscottie

Having a nice clean oven I mean!

callgirl1 Mon 08-May-17 16:20:42

I`m ashamed to say that I can`t remember the last time I cleaned my oven! I do have an excuse nowadays, my bad back and knees won`t let me get down and dirty to do the job. I`m having a new kitchen in a few weeks, with an oven that will be at just the right height for me to clean. I wonder how long I will keep up the habit?

Beammeupscottie Mon 08-May-17 16:22:57

I should be so bloody lucky.

cornergran Mon 08-May-17 16:48:57

Mr C cleans the oven, always has and we've been married for 48 years. Yes, I do appreciate him smile.

Sunlover Mon 08-May-17 17:17:56

Can't remember when I last cleaned the oven!! Now we are moving and planning on renting out our house I have booked an oven cleaner for Wednesday. Not sure he knows what awaits him!

jollyg Mon 08-May-17 17:22:28

Love the title!.

Second non stick liners from Lakeland.

Sadly I dont do roasts much not too keen on them but waistline watching

grannypiper Mon 08-May-17 17:47:53

Use non bio washing powder once a month and your oven will gleam

NanaMacGeek Mon 08-May-17 18:47:31

My oven asks me to clean it every 4 to 6 weeks. I take out the shelves and press a button. (Shelves are non stick as well, just need a soak and a wipe over.) Once the oven has cooled down, a quick wipe over to remove the remaining white dust is all that's needed to get the oven looking like new. I'm not smug though (not much anyway). This oven works, unlike my old one that blew all the fuses when I opened the oven door.

We used to have a butcher friend who told us that meat cooked and tasted better in an oven that had a good layer of meat fat burned on to it, so perhaps the food from my oven isn't as tasty if that makes anyone feel better about not cleaning theirs.

Swanny Mon 08-May-17 19:57:52

I have had a reticence to oven cleaning since I was first married 51 years ago. My husband was in the army and we lived in married quarters. When we 'marched out' at the end of a posting the oven and everything else had to look sparkling new, otherwise you were charged for it. It didn't engender a habit in me - as soon as he left the army I stopped being paranoid about using the oven grin

PoshGran Mon 08-May-17 20:36:44

Oh swanny - the dreaded March Outs (white gloves)!!!!!
Worst one RAF St Athan '76; we knew they were going to gut the OMQ kitchen after we left but I did the right thing & cleaned, as you should, the "free-standing" electric cooker which was still attached by the heavy duty cabling to the wall & could not be pulled out or twisted to get behind & clean. In the minutes before the actual March Out station services comes & disconnects said cooker & thus reveals hitherto unaccessible "grot" behind, & OH was told he'd have to pay for the complete clean!!! We fought & won against that piece of nonsense!

Best March Out - on leaving Stafford, again, the house was due to be completely stripped out & fittings scrapped. Needless to say, I didn't lift a finger for that one.grin

Chewbacca Mon 08-May-17 23:20:18

Be careful! My DDIL gave their oven it's annual clean this weekend, using one of the usual supermarket branded cleaning kits. Left it on for the required time; went back and cleaned it off, switched the oven on and poof! Some of the cleaning solution had got into the element and blew a fuse. Changed the fuse and tried again, this time the electrics in the kitchen blew. Changed another fuse and tried again; oven sparked and died. New oven delivered today. I'm not going to risk it, personally! grin

Hopehope Tue 09-May-17 00:37:20

I just do it like doing the dishes, we son't have a dishwasher, never have had. If I have had a roast, or something a bit spitty in the oven we just do it as an extension of dish washing. Takes maybe an extra 15 mins and doesn't seem like much of a chore then.

The job I hate most is de frosting the freezer !

Teetime Tue 09-May-17 09:19:41

Oh no the freezer next I suppose - loathe that makes my hands really sore- .one for DH I think

Faye Tue 09-May-17 19:59:44

When my Smeg oven was new about three years ago a huntsman spider wedged itself between the two glass panels of the oven door. The spider was still alive even after I used the oven a couple of times. There was no way I could or wanted to scrape him out, he eventually shrivelled up and dropped out. ?

kittylester Tue 09-May-17 20:48:31

Yuck!

Wonder if there is a company that does freezers too?

Jalima1108 Tue 09-May-17 21:00:17

Was he a very large one Faye?
Did he make one of those huge webs?

I suppose he can't have been if he had to squeeze through a gap between the two layers of glass!!

Faye Tue 09-May-17 21:11:18

He was medium size. I don't know how he survived with the heat from the oven, poor thing.

Jalima1108 Tue 09-May-17 21:15:05

Oh dear, slowly cooking.

Better than biting you - they can be very painful!