Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas coming!!!

(50 Posts)
Nansypansy Tue 16-May-17 09:29:21

I cannot believe it! ..... I've just had an email from The Works about new Christmas craft stuff now in!!?

rosesarered Tue 16-May-17 09:31:35

The C word! shock

annsixty Tue 16-May-17 09:42:42

You must go on the naughty step Nansy or the dark cupboard under the stairs.
We are not allowed to use that word until mid November or until kitty has had their C market whichever is first.

MawBroon Tue 16-May-17 09:45:58

That word is not allowed on GN until at least after the John Lewis decorations go up!

TerriBull Tue 16-May-17 09:54:57

For heaven's sake we've hardly got over the one just gone, we have the summer to look forward to let's focus on that, it's bad enough it all kicks off again as soon as September.

Katek Tue 16-May-17 09:55:52

Er......am I allowed to say that we're already booking people in for the village C........ fair? You have to start early to get the stalls you want!

Niobe Tue 16-May-17 10:22:25

Not thinking about it until after Halloween!

paddyann Tue 16-May-17 11:49:13

already got a fair number of presents put away and ordered a couple more last night .I always start early with around 25 to buy for it makes sense .I'm all wrapped and ready to go by November.Couldn't be annoyed with the "rush" .See I didn't mention the c word even once .

ninathenana Tue 16-May-17 12:49:39

I've had one too. Rediculous

rosesarered Tue 16-May-17 14:05:15

Put the sprouts on?

Cherrytree59 Tue 16-May-17 14:13:38

No Non Nein!!!
Its not 25th May so not even 5 months since last C*********!!!shock

Juggernaut Tue 16-May-17 14:28:24

A friend of mine (Sue, if you're reading this, yes I mean you) buys all her cards, wrapping paper and most of the 'small' presents in January!
She wraps in July, writes cards during August and puts everything in the spare bedroom, ready to go at the appropriate time!
If I bought presents in January, they'd be put away and lost forever forgotten about long before the 'event' grew neargrin

stillaliveandkicking Tue 16-May-17 23:27:49

Whats the "works"? Some people like to plan ahead, nothing wrong with that. I don't but its ok with me.

Chewbacca Tue 16-May-17 23:39:33

Dare I whisper that I buy my C***** presents immediately after the C*** that's just gone; shove them in a cupboard and leave them there until November. Also wrapping paper (but not cards because I make my own from September onwards). I loathe shopping in crowds, or being in a mither of what to get and I do love a bargain so shopping in the sales suits me fine. But I swear that I definitely don't think of C*** between January - November. Honest.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 16-May-17 23:44:04

Very wise (organised) woman there Chew.

vampirequeen Wed 17-May-17 07:14:07

It's never too early to starting planning/buying for C grin

kittylester Wed 17-May-17 07:32:05

Just no! As Ann said, not until after our Street Fair!! grin

ninathenana Wed 17-May-17 07:55:25

stillalive The Works is a High St and online shop that sells books, craft stuff and toys at great prices.

DanniRae Wed 17-May-17 07:58:54

I have enough trouble planning on what to pack for my holiday to worry about C*******!!

Marydoll Wed 17-May-17 08:32:58

Some crafters like to start making Christmas cards etc in July, as it can be time consuming, but rewarding. QVC actually have a "Christmas in July" event.
I buy a lot of my Christmas pressies, cards , wrapping paper in the January sales. It makes sense if you have to work to a tight budget and have a number of presents to buy.
I have already put away a duvet coat and boots for my daughter and I have only spent £15 so far. I look on it as a challenge to see what I can buy on my budget.

Chewbacca Wed 17-May-17 09:29:21

Woman after my own heart Marydoll! I look out for OTO offers on QVC, or the special of the day. Always have plenty of Yankee and Elemis stuff in the cupboard for birthday and C presents. The QVC C*** event is excellent for craft supplies and I've recently discovered the HOCHANDA channel too. Planning ahead for C**********!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 17-May-17 10:17:28

I'm usually fairly organised and have a few presents put away in the wardrobe by now but I haven't started this year. I hate hearing too much about it too early. It's very off-putting and makes me want to run out into the garden and screaming.

michellehargreaves Wed 17-May-17 10:20:16

I have belonged to a book club for the last 26 years. Some of us are rather more (over ) organised than others but my head went into my hands when a member brought up (in April) the date for this year's Xmas party - notice how cleverly i avoided the C word there. This message provoked a flood of comment with other members saying the dates that would suit them best - in bl%%dy April for Pete's sake!! I have nothing in my diary for December. ....Maybe I don't get out enough.

annifrance Wed 17-May-17 10:38:33

In defence of The Works and other like on line shops, I am very pleased to see their stuff early. As a crafter it gives me plenty of time to budget, collect and make all the C------y stuff. But agree don't want to think about the actual event until after my son's birthday at the end of November.

lesley4357 Wed 17-May-17 10:38:35

When I was teaching I always warned my students they weren't allowed to say the C word until December