Gransnet forums

Chat

Changing Fuel Suppliers

(11 Posts)
Hopehope Sat 20-May-17 00:47:25

Apologies if I have missed a thread about this already. We have been with British Gas for years for Gas and Electricity. It has always been fine. It is time now to renew the contract again, but this time they don't seem to have anything very tempting to offer.

I did bit of a search, and OVO seem to be the best I can see ( For us), not only the price, but things like a UK call centre, and they have been voted best provider for the past few years.

Does anyone here have experience of them? Also if any of you have changed providers was it hassle free?

Thank You smile

Cunco Sat 20-May-17 07:52:57

I have no knowledge of OVO but, as a dual fuel customer, I did switch from British Gas to Scottish Power some years ago. The switch happened without hassle and we saved a lot of money. Scottish Power were not the cheapest but, at the time, they had a good customer rating. I have had no major problems with my new provider.

I keep my meter readings up-to-date and keep an eye on my credit balance to make sure the company's computer is not building the credit balance too high. I can adjust it on-line if it does. I have taken fixed price contracts which have served me well but, if I want to, I think I can switch out without penalty.

whitewave Sat 20-May-17 08:05:46

I switch my suppliers roughly once a year.

N-Power was my last supplier - fixed price dual. Last month I was advised that my monthly direct debit was going up to 140pm from 90!!!!

Now with Green Network at £63pm.

Go to compare or one of those sites, I also look at Which as well you can pay £1 for information, then switch. It is dead easy. The most you have to do is read the meters.

I switch all my various suppliers as and when necessary - this year I have switched roadside rescue and saved a huge amount. Do the same for everything.

The only thing I haven't really tackled is the tv, wifi, and phone supplier. With a sports package and all above I pay £106 approx pm. I think this is too much, so really ought to get my finger out.

Cunco Sat 20-May-17 08:38:55

Whitewave: I have found Sky and Virgin open to striking a bargain for 'loyal' customers but no luck with BT.

jillyco Sat 20-May-17 08:43:58

I was with Ovo for a while and was happy with their service. I only switched away from them because I found a cheaper deal elsewhere when my fix ended. I would certainly use them again. Switching is easy - Martin Lewis at Money Saving Expert has useful information: www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

Anya Sat 20-May-17 08:47:38

But beware! Only try to strike a deal if you are at the end of your contact.

I rang Virgin last week to try to bring costs down but my contact still has 5 months to run. I managed to get a slightly better price (nothing to get excited about) but was just about to agree to it when I was informed that this meant my contract would be renewed for another 18 months if I took this up.

Duh!

No way, as the best time to get a new deal is as a new customer or when your current contract is about to expire so you might leave.

jusnoneed Sat 20-May-17 10:26:24

I switched ours last week to Sainsburys. Gas and electric £66 a month fixed for a year. Also get a £100 Sainsburys voucher.

Hopehope Sat 20-May-17 13:24:35

Thanks everyone for the information. I had just changed to OVO saving £132 a yr when I saw jus no need post. I am now with Sainsbury too saving £172 a yr including the gift card. As I shop in Sainsbury all the time that is as good as money in my pocket. Then had to cancel OVO but they were very pleasant about it. Sainsbury are partners with British Gas so hopefully changeover should be smooth. Thanks again to you all for the input smile flowers

jusnoneed Sat 20-May-17 14:58:54

I was happy to switch to them as I knew someone else who had, she never had any problems. Hope ours goes the same!
I had confirmation email but they say it'll take a couple of weeks, not heard any more yet.

Hopehope Sat 20-May-17 15:18:19

Jus no need. He told me it would take a few weeks. They will ring for a meter reading a few days before. Fingers crossed for us both. We can compare notes. Any messing from them they will have the wrath of Grans neters united grin

jusnoneed Sat 20-May-17 20:43:24

lol, they wouldn't want that!
I did my switch online so never spoke to anyone.