Gransnet forums

Chat

Concern for my neighbour...do people not stop and think!

(34 Posts)
Solitaire Sun 21-May-17 11:15:10

I'm really concerned that someone posted tbis on our local social network this morning.
'An elderly resident in H**** Avenue is moving and needs someone to remove 3 beds and a three pce suite to tip or whoever may want them. If she phones Council they insist they are put outside but she is elderly and on her own. Can anyone help her - if so please call her on 252 **.'
I've deleted the name and number from this post but she gave full details.
It concerns an elderly lady in the next street to mine and there is a SOLD sign at her gate which makes her even more identifiable.
I've replied to the OP ( not the Old Person smile) raising my concerns but the damage is already done. I hope the old lady knows about this .

Solitaire Sun 21-May-17 11:15:57

I'm really concerned that someone posted tbis on our local social network this morning.
'An elderly resident in H**** Avenue is moving and needs someone to remove 3 beds and a three pce suite to tip or whoever may want them. If she phones Council they insist they are put outside but she is elderly and on her own. Can anyone help her - if so please call her on 252 **.'
I've deleted the name and number from this post but she gave full details.
It concerns an elderly lady in the next street to mine and there is a SOLD sign at her gate which makes her even more identifiable.
I've replied to the OP ( not the Old Person smile) raising my concerns but the damage is already done. I hope the old lady knows about this .

Solitaire Sun 21-May-17 11:16:46

Sorry it posted twice!!

Ana Sun 21-May-17 11:20:20

I don't really see what the problem is - it sounds as though the person who posted the message was trying to be helpful. I'm sure the old lady does know about it.

Hope she gets someone to help her.

MiniMouse Sun 21-May-17 11:33:45

Giving the full address and making the comment that the lady is elderly and on her own would worry me, too!

glammanana Sun 21-May-17 11:33:57

I can see the person posting was trying to help but can also see the fact that there are many unscrupulous people out there who could take advantage of her being on her own and elderly possibly help themselves to other items or monies.I don't think you should ever post tel numbers or address on forums for open viewing.

Luckygirl Sun 21-May-17 11:59:45

Might have been netter just to post the stuff on freecycle.

Ana Sun 21-May-17 12:06:08

Yes, I can see now that there could be a problem. I just hops she has someone she can call upon to be with her when someone comes to collect stuff.

Deedaa Sun 21-May-17 21:46:14

Would have been better if the person who posted the request had given their own phone number and vetted any callers

silverlining48 Mon 22-May-17 09:33:58

Or helped the lady themselves or found / asked around if someone else could help.
Older people are generally trusting and therefore vulnerable to abuse.

nellgwin Mon 22-May-17 10:11:26

I'm sure that if the poster had phoned​ several charity shops they would take the items free of charge.
And yes it was very unwise to give out details of this ladies address and phone number.
As you seem to know who this lady is why don't you go round and offer to contact one of the charity shops for her and maybe offer any other help you can give her or why not call and take a we ? round and hopefully you can then pop in every day just to reassure her and yourself that she is ok and coping with the move.
You never know you might make a future friend ?

nellgwin Mon 22-May-17 10:13:43

Oops I posted a smiling face not a growl ? I'm

Coco51 Mon 22-May-17 10:57:18

Perhaps you could pop around and ask her if she is aware of the ad.

ninathenana Mon 22-May-17 12:19:36

Maybe Solitaire isn't capable of popping round, we don't know her circumstances.

It was daft to put details on FB. Why did the poster not ask volunteers to inbox him/her.

Legs55 Mon 22-May-17 12:45:34

Ninathenana I totally agree with you,most Councils have a contact number for a re-cycling service or Charity shops. But if you must post on FB only give rough area & ask people to PM you if interested

Alidoll Mon 22-May-17 13:19:55

Most charity shops will only take the items if they have the fire / flame proof tag still attached these days (I know having phoned several when we were getting rid of an old sofa a few years back). No tag, not wanted unfortunately

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 22-May-17 13:22:35

Yes, it is a bit concerning. One of my older friends said that she would never post her name and number (much less address) in that sort of way as there are so many bad types out there who would take advantage.
She is elderly and I assume on her own which in itself spells out vulnerable - surely there are better and safer ways of going about this?

Madgran77 Mon 22-May-17 18:02:10

I agree it does make her vulnerable even though the OP was being helpful!

NfkDumpling Mon 22-May-17 18:07:26

I wonder exactly how old the old lady is. If I were living alone and moving there's a good chance a helpful younger neighbour may post the same about me!

NfkDumpling Mon 22-May-17 18:08:40

And I would be very annoyed!

Diddy1 Mon 22-May-17 18:18:43

Too much information given, makes the lady vulnerable, lets hope some nice honest people help her out.

trisher Mon 22-May-17 18:21:56

Perhaps the 'elderly lady' gave permission or even asked the person to post her details. Maybe she is physically unable to deal with moving the items but confident in her own ability to sort out and deal with anyone who might try to scam her and just hopes that someone will make use of the things she no longer needs. Just because you are old and not physically strong it doesn't mean you have completely lost your marbles and need to be treated like a child.

Aslemma Tue 23-May-17 01:16:03

I agree with Trisher. I too am elderly and would certainly not be up to moving furniture, but have still got all my marbles.

BlueBelle Tue 23-May-17 05:50:49

Immaterial of whether the old lady gave permission ( she wouldn't know the workings of FB or she'd have done it herself) anyone with half a brain knows you don't put personal details out to public..... you inbox ( private message) you have done the only thing left.... to ask them to take it down although you could contact the page/group admin to delete it but as you say damage is already done and all you can do is keep your fingers crossed and keep an eye on the old lady

BlueBelle Tue 23-May-17 05:54:17

Trisher and Aslemma ....you HAVE completely lost your marbles if you knowingly advertise your address to the public plus the information that you are elderly and not very physically strong