Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a sign?

(40 Posts)
sunseeker Mon 22-May-17 16:04:18

The area where I live is split around 60/40 between Lib Dems and Conservative. There is one house which has put up a Labour poster. The Lib Dem and Conservative posters have survived the heavy rain from last week but the Labour poster has collapsed grin

Anniebach Mon 22-May-17 16:15:38

Naughty, naughty, naughty ?

Jalima1108 Mon 22-May-17 16:25:31

is it an omen?

House built on sand?
Three Little Pigs fairytale?

sunseeker Mon 22-May-17 16:44:38

Just making an observation Anniebach grin

yggdrasil Mon 22-May-17 17:26:30

No, this is a sign

Lazigirl Mon 22-May-17 17:32:14

grin

rosesarered Mon 22-May-17 17:45:46

That's just a vulgar sign ygg not a portent!

rosesarered Mon 22-May-17 17:47:51

I haven't seen any signs up at all.There must be a few somewhere.A Lib Dem bit of bumf was pushed furtively through my letter box last night though.

Anniebach Mon 22-May-17 18:05:54

No way a sign, just a sad attempt at a joke

Jalima1108 Mon 22-May-17 20:28:37

Only had a leaflet from the Greens so far

Greyduster Mon 22-May-17 20:56:55

We had a leaflet. I accidentally wiped my feet on it ?! Not telling you which one.

Anniebach Mon 22-May-17 21:04:12

I have received one from Plaid Cymru, Tories, Libs and Welsh labour

paddyann Mon 22-May-17 23:37:17

I write return to sender and post them all back to the tories and Labour parties,if they will keep putting unwanted mail through my door they can pay the extra post cost to get it back.If we all did it it would use up their budget,lol.The "scottish" conservatives or scottish branch office has virtually no real information on it anyway ,just 4 pages about how they wont let/dont want/the public dont want a second independence referendum .Of no interest to me whatsoever.

ninathenana Mon 22-May-17 23:59:43

Our local Tory was complaining on FB that his posters had been defaced with obscenities.

Hopehope Tue 23-May-17 00:01:30

ninathenana, perhaps he ought to ask why grin

harrigran Tue 23-May-17 09:31:57

Someone rang from the Labour party last night, DH took the call and they asked for me but he told them I didn't want to talk to them. Cheek, since when did he speak for me ?

nightowl Tue 23-May-17 10:09:23

People with strong views are giving up their time to push these leaflets through doors. It's not exactly a new campaigning tactic is it so I'm not sure why it would make anyone annoyed confused

I had a conservative leaflet through my door yesterday. It said 'Theresa May is the only person who can deliver for (name of constituency)'. This I did find strange, as I wasn't aware she was standing for election here. As an apparent afterthought there was a photo of the Tory candidate holding Theresa's hand shock and looking suitably honoured. I just found it quite amusing, if not a bit desperate.

Anya Tue 23-May-17 10:31:35

As nightowl said, people are giving up their free time to deliver these leaflets.

OK, many of mine get binned PDQ but I do note which parties make the effort to leaflet.

Penstemmon Tue 23-May-17 11:08:28

No leaflets through my door..it is a bit tricky to find..but they will come. I leaflet for a political party. I also have a poster up but on my back fence facing all the London commuters on the station platform! Not been defaced, dissolved or crumpled!

CleopatraSoup Wed 24-May-17 09:54:58

ygg that made me titter.

radicalnan Wed 24-May-17 10:09:29

I had a leaflet for Dominos pizza, and have left it in the hall because I know the kids will vote for it at some point.......

Even the Greens put useless crap through the letter box they really ought to know better, I hate waste, I won't even have the parish magazine here now I can see it online.

There is ample on TV, radio and onliine to bore us all to death with lies before the election and the thrill of seeing all the lies failing to deliver afterwards. Money to burn as ususal at the root of the problem.

Caro1954 Wed 24-May-17 10:25:46

We've had Labour and Conservative. Angus Robertson (SNP) dropped onto the mat the other day so I tore him up and put him in the recycling. Wish I'd thought of sending him back to HQ Paddyann!! grin

quizqueen Wed 24-May-17 10:32:59

As someone who has spent hours over the years trudging round my constituency hand delivering leaflets (which have been paid for with my party's very little resources)to try and inform potential voters, the least people can do is glance at them and then put them in the recycling bin if they have no interest in trying to shape the future of their country by being informed of policies both national and local.

Every Political Party is also entitled to a post office delivered Election Address. The postage is paid for by your taxes although the printing of the leaflet is Party funded.

Maybe if more people showed an interest in politics they might get the political parties and country they desire.

Marty Wed 24-May-17 12:12:33

Well said quizqueen.

Lilyflower Wed 24-May-17 12:19:12

It is quite amazing the amount of virtue signalling Labour and LibDem supporters find it essential to live in nice, law abiding, well ordered Conservative Boroughs. I know of three ultra left families who moved house from Labour areas to very Conservative Boroughs (huge majorities) to take advantage of the schools and the general superiority of the quality of life. Once there, they all set about vociferously campaigning for Labour and complaining about the fact that their neighbours were (rinse my mouth out) Tories.

To paraphrase, theirs were the only red posters in the village.