Gransnet forums

Chat

Isn't human nature strange?

(44 Posts)
Kupari45 Fri 16-Jun-17 12:44:48

Its two and a half weeks since I had a hip replacement. I'm doing my exercises and going for a slow walk round the small village where I live on two sticks, according to the physio I saw yesterday I am doing just fine.
However whenever I am stopped by any one who knows me- I get chapter and verse about people they know who have been so much quicker in their recovery than me. So there is me slowly walking putting my all in a walk out and finding as the days go bye I am getting right hacked off with pessimistic attitude of those who know me. Why do people do this? Got me thinking did any of you Grans who had hip ops come across this attitude ' or is it just we have some right miseries in the village I live in. What sort of reaction did you get when out with your new walking sticks? I could do with a laugh!!

annodomini Fri 16-Jun-17 12:51:21

Ignore them, Kupari45. Only two weeks from surgery, I can't imagine how any one would be doing better than you are and if your physio says you are doing well, then that's who you should believe. I'm sure that after two weeks I was doing pretty much what you are and after almost twelve years I am still mobile!

sunseeker Fri 16-Jun-17 12:51:35

I find most people either want to tell you how a similar operation on someone they know went horribly wrong or alternatively how quickly someone made a recovery. Everyone recovers at a different rate - well done for doing as well as you have. I have been fortunate enough not to need a hip replacement, although my brother has - as I recall his recovery time was average! grin

Charleygirl Fri 16-Jun-17 12:55:52

From a professional point of view I think that your recovery is excellent. You are doing what you want at your pace- I do not understand people. I agree, listen to what your physio says but in my opinion you are doing an excellent job.

Anniebach Fri 16-Jun-17 12:59:30

My advice is listen to your physio and sod those who are negative . You are you, unique , so recover in your time No one else's , good luck X

Alima Fri 16-Jun-17 13:10:06

DH had his hip done on May 23rd and it sounds as if he is at the same stage as you. He bimbles round to the local shops no bother though if we walk somewhere together I get a bit antsy as he is a bit slow! He went for his two week check last Thursday and came back with just one walking stick. Maybe they are short of sticks? No one has given him chapter and verse about how much quicker they recovered, maybe all the doom mangers are living in your village! Good luck with your continued recovery, we think the whole thing is totally amazing.

tanith Fri 16-Jun-17 13:18:02

Everyone has their own pace for recovery as long as you are comfortable and physio is happy then ignore the naysayers and miseries. I'm 2 mths from hip replacement and still have some difficulties and pain but im getting there. Carry on with your walking and nod, smile and ignore ?

grannylyn65 Fri 16-Jun-17 13:26:15

you're doing fine !
f* em
?

Nannarose Fri 16-Jun-17 13:37:48

Am both a nurse and a survivor of both joint & gynae surgery. People who rush their recovery often do more harm than good in the long run.
Useful analogy is those women who rush back to work / regimes / being marvellous just after having a baby. A few just work like that - good for them - others will find they pay somewhere along the line.

I'd also say that any surgery 'takes it out of you' and that can manifest by being a little bit down, and possibly more vulnerable to such comments.

Keep doing what feels right to you, check that seems about right to your physio, and grin inanely at everyone who tells you unhelpful things!
Hope your recovery continues well.

Lillie Fri 16-Jun-17 14:34:25

Human nature is very strange indeed, Kupari45. I agree with the above post that things all level out in the end, so take no notice. I know nothing about joint replacement, but can equate your sentiments to being told by mothers that their child is an A grade pupil at six and is way ahead of his peers! Tell me again what he is doing at 26 and I might be more impressed. grin

dbDB77 Fri 16-Jun-17 15:47:47

Remember Stanley Holloway singing the old music hall song "My Word you do Look Queer"? Sums up human nature in this context. Well here it is:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G7Y786wqtk
Enjoy & best wishes for a speedy recovery - at your own speed!
My word you do look well grin

Jane10 Fri 16-Jun-17 15:53:59

After my knee replacement I met so many people who knew someone who was back dancing or similar in days! angry. It was so annoying and frustrating.
Nil illigitemum though. If the worst comes to the the worst just shake your stick at them!

hulahoop Fri 16-Jun-17 15:58:19

Everyone is unique there is no set time to recover you sound to be doing well ignore them?

grannyqueenie Fri 16-Jun-17 19:18:48

Sounds to me like you're doing really well. People will always tell you you're not as far on as they were or not doing as well as so and so did. I kept being told about people driving after a fortnight!
The important thing is to keep moving as you are and doing little bit more every day. Hip surgery is considered run of the mill these days but it's worth remembering that it's not "routine" for the person who has been yanked, pulled and lets face it butchered, albeit in a good cause! The surgeon described it to me as "routine but by no means insignificant surgery".

FarNorth Fri 16-Jun-17 19:27:39

Very entertaining song dbDB77
grin

silverlining48 Sat 17-Jun-17 09:13:19

It sounds like you are doing very well to me, so just keep on doing it. Good luck.

JudyT Sat 17-Jun-17 09:45:37

How about making yourself a badge with message on it eg 'cheery comments only please' or 'l'm doing brilliantly'.x

grandMattie Sat 17-Jun-17 09:49:55

No idea how long a hip takes, but at our age surgery takes the stuffing out of you.
I had a should operation some years back, and i was a waste of space for a fortnight recovering from the "light sedation"!; then it took me at least 6 months to get back movement and satisfaction painlessness.
You go girl, it is your body, it does what it wants at the pace it wants. S.d everyone else's stories.
All the best. [hugs]

Maggieanne Sat 17-Jun-17 09:50:13

Oh my goodness db, as soon as I read this post I thought of that song! Great minds, eh. It's so true though, a lot of miserable beggars out there. Kupari, ignore them.

grandMattie Sat 17-Jun-17 09:50:21

shoulder - not "should"...

carpedeum Sat 17-Jun-17 10:10:14

You're doing fine. I had my hip operation five weeks ago, down to one stick, but walking slowly is so boring. If anyone else tells me to do the exercises I might whack them with my stick. So far, I'm delighted and feeling better daily. Thrilled the pain is so much better.

Mauriherb Sat 17-Jun-17 10:11:46

This reminds me of a recent thread about "toppers" ie people who always have to go one better (or worse) . ! You're doing fine , try to ignore them . I hope you are soon feeling the benefits of the operation.

Kim19 Sat 17-Jun-17 10:19:40

Kupari45, Sounds to me as though you are doing pretty darn well. Congratulations. Comparisons are odious and it certainly seems as though your attitude and fortitude are serving you greatly. Try to ignore the negative people. Difficult in a small village I imagine but.....hey......so far so good and.....aren't you doing well. Bravo and good luck. I've only ever seen good results with these surgeries and hope it turns out to be the same for you.

FarNorth Sat 17-Jun-17 10:28:51

Tell them your physio said that people who rush things are storing up trouble for themselves later.
smile

Kupari45 Sat 17-Jun-17 11:16:43

Thank you so much for your messages of encouragement. Yesterday I felt a bit down (not like me ). Then O.H. came back from village shop to tell me that one of our neighbours had remarked on how shaky I looked on my pins. Just what you need!
Feeling more positive this morning. A friend is taking me to the garden centre for tea and cake this afternoon so I'm looking forward to seeing her.
Makeup on this morning.!!