Gransnet forums

Chat

Argy-Bargy Cafe - enter at your peril ?

(1001 Posts)
Anya Fri 16-Jun-17 16:54:29

I'd never dare enter some of the safe havens on GN ??

But does anyone remember Pete's Cafe (?? or something like that??) where those of a more robust nature met to exchange witticisms and the like?

There's no tea and cakes, but a good selection of alcohol ?? and pork scratchings etc.. Dress code is flexible, but no twin sets and pearls (or anything else that can be clutched to bosoms). Cross dressers etc. welcome (providing they stick to the no twin-set rule even if no bosons to clutch to)

I'll try to drop in tonight to see if there are any customers.

All suggestions as to Cafe Rules are welcome. I'd start by suggesting no talk about cats or knitting ?

Rigby46 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:07:42

Our bp's fine - we've all been on that thread already thank you

Katek Fri 16-Jun-17 18:08:09

Ds worked as a bouncer (sorry, door steward) while he was at uni. He had a licence and one of those curly ear pieces.....will I see if he's available?

boheminan Fri 16-Jun-17 18:11:29

GERRA OUTTA MY PUB - YER ALL BARRED!

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:12:25

Wine please and quick with it barperson.

No scratchings thanks, I'm on a diet, need to save all my calories for wine

DH is good at breaking up fights although he is getting on a bit now and hasn't had much practice lately.
In fact, he is more likely to get into a verbal fisticuffs with me these days.

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:13:20

Do they serve cocktails in here, do you know?
ooh er, posh!!

trisher Fri 16-Jun-17 18:14:28

He'd better buy some shin guards and stock up on ibuprofen Katek. GNs can be difficult customers and might give his legs a good kicking.

merlotgran Fri 16-Jun-17 18:15:01

I like the idea of a politician dart board and can we have a fruit machine like the one on HIGNIFY?

Three Theresas in a row will lead to a rousing chorus of, 'Why was she born so beautiful, why was she born at all? She's no bloody use to anyone, She's no bloody use at all!'

Chewbacca Fri 16-Jun-17 18:15:12

Will there be a snug room for domino's, table top skittles, card games and cribbage? That could lead to a few fisticuffs.

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:15:48

Stand clear everyone - I have a dart in my hand, it could go anywhere shock

Ana Fri 16-Jun-17 18:16:21

Better not have a dart board...(well, we could have a dart board, but no darts)

Rigby46 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:16:46

merlot that is so so naughty and spot on for the caff

Ana Fri 16-Jun-17 18:17:11

This is the trouble, people bring their own! hmm

Rigby46 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:18:15

Might be safer for 'some' people if there are only rubber headed darts. < menacing glower>

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:22:10

Sorry, sorry, sorry, don't know whose cat that was sneaking in but the dart just missed it - put it through the cat flap please.

Jane10 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:23:13

Would that be for the rubber headed people?

Rigby46 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:24:59

No rubber headed people here

trisher Fri 16-Jun-17 18:29:51

Ooh dead cat-that's one hundred and eighty!

boheminan Fri 16-Jun-17 18:49:27

Oi - you lot, I aint invisible you know...I can still see me feet under me belly. Darts aint allowed

gillybob Fri 16-Jun-17 19:01:04

I'm here Rigby if you're looking for someone to do battle with like. wink Although I'm not in much of a fighting mood today. I will draw the line at praising the queen mind you.

Did anyone hear the grand ole duke of York on the radio today . Seems he's an expert on everything European and the grass might be greener on the other side of the brexit field . hmm

Actually only popped my head round the door cos I saw the skull . Just counting the seconds down to 7 o'clock and that much needed glass of plonk ( pre 7 o'clock alcohol means I will be asleep at 9 ) .

gillybob Fri 16-Jun-17 19:04:04

Never mind the door steward do we have an official barsteward?

gillybob Fri 16-Jun-17 19:07:25

Well that's the first glass down...

Could just eat something nice . Do you serve food here?

annsixty Fri 16-Jun-17 19:17:18

Only meat pies and mushy peas Gilly Pete's bar was very much a Northern institution. Pete, sadly missed,came from Chorlton cum Hardy.
If you have moved to the posh south what are we northeners supposed to do with our whippets while we imbibe?

Lona Fri 16-Jun-17 19:24:03

Ah yes Ana, of course I remember Lil's bar, we were all drunk and it was very smutty!!! And I don't just mean with innuendo, do you remember that filthy old pair of knickers rag that she used as a bar towel?

phoenix Fri 16-Jun-17 19:27:33

Oh how I remember Lil's Bar, and then Pete's. I was very sorry to hear that he had died, he was a valued member of GN, and quite young, comparatively speaking.

annsixty Fri 16-Jun-17 19:28:30

I think someone on here posted this recently.
A woman walked into a bar.
What would you like asked the barman.
A double entendre please.
So he gave her one.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion