Gransnet forums

Chat

Argy-Bargy Cafe - enter at your peril ?

(1000 Posts)
Anya Fri 16-Jun-17 16:54:29

I'd never dare enter some of the safe havens on GN ??

But does anyone remember Pete's Cafe (?? or something like that??) where those of a more robust nature met to exchange witticisms and the like?

There's no tea and cakes, but a good selection of alcohol ?? and pork scratchings etc.. Dress code is flexible, but no twin sets and pearls (or anything else that can be clutched to bosoms). Cross dressers etc. welcome (providing they stick to the no twin-set rule even if no bosons to clutch to)

I'll try to drop in tonight to see if there are any customers.

All suggestions as to Cafe Rules are welcome. I'd start by suggesting no talk about cats or knitting ?

HildaW Fri 16-Jun-17 16:56:24

What if its the cats who are doing the knitting?

rosesarered Fri 16-Jun-17 16:59:27

It was Pete's Bar btw and a nice place it was too! grin
I used to pop in for a gin and tonic now and then.Boheminan revived the Bar after Pete and we had a lot of fun.
I don't think it was robust though Anya the chatter was friendly as far as I remember.
So, if you are behind the bar, I will have a nice glass of house red.??

Ana Fri 16-Jun-17 17:02:34

And before that it was Lil's Bar! That was great fun...sigh...(wonder if Ella, as she was then, remembers...?)

Anya Fri 16-Jun-17 17:05:27

Just off out Roses but there's a selection of drinks behind the bar. Help yourself and serve anyone else who turns up.

merlotgran Fri 16-Jun-17 17:06:17

Now THIS is more like it. grin wine

Anya Fri 16-Jun-17 17:07:12

Hilda is forthwith barred as she's broken both rules in one post shock ....unless she mans (womans?) the bar as a penance.

Anya Fri 16-Jun-17 17:07:39

Carry on without me ....I'll be back

Chewbacca Fri 16-Jun-17 17:08:12

Do they serve cocktails in here, do you know?

rosesarered Fri 16-Jun-17 17:13:43

Well Chewy I can certainly have a go at making one for you..... Sex On The Beach is a popular one, shake, shake shake...pour, glug.?

rosesarered Fri 16-Jun-17 17:14:27

I would avoid the open dish of peanuts on the bar though!

Chewbacca Fri 16-Jun-17 17:16:29

Cosmopolitan please roses smile

HildaW Fri 16-Jun-17 17:17:45

Anya, I doubt I'd make a good barperson.....I get flustered easily ......could cope with 'red' or 'white' just about!

Jane10 Fri 16-Jun-17 17:26:53

What an excellent idea. Any suggestions as to who should be co opted as bouncer?

Rigby46 Fri 16-Jun-17 17:33:39

It rather sounds as though it will be a bit of rough so no need for a bouncer - except of course to bounce out people who clutch pearls and are easily shocked. A darts board? ( with a picture of 'politician of the day' on it) If you are welcoming cross dressers, are the loos gender neutral?

Riverwalk Fri 16-Jun-17 17:40:00

Er, this is a cafe so alcohol not compulsory.

That said, mine's a large G&T with a few olives (low-carb choices).

Addition to the rules .. no cakes.

Jane10 Fri 16-Jun-17 17:49:51

Definitely think a bouncer/security guard will be required to break up the arguments that seem to flare up on all sorts of threads on GN. Virtual knocking of heads together required at times.
Maybe only camomile tea should be available? It's for the best.

merlotgran Fri 16-Jun-17 17:53:05

Chamomile what?????

I've put a few sprigs of rosemary behind the bar for those of a herbal persuasion. It's the IN THING for gin o'clock.

Plays havoc with my hayfever though.

Riverwalk Fri 16-Jun-17 17:54:51

Camomile tea? Not bloody likely! I think you've missed the point Jane.

As the OP says, this the Argy Bargy Caff - not for the feint of heart.

trisher Fri 16-Jun-17 18:01:14

Oh what a great idea. I was thinking I needed something. I don't want to descend into old age and chat about how cute my cat is and what colour curtains I should buy. I want to rage about things that matter. "Rage rage against the dying of the light"
Oh and never mind the bar-person, open a bottle of something decent and I'll take it from there.

Rigby46 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:01:46

Jane I think you are missing the point - it's the Argy Bargy cafe - if anyone gets thrown out I think it will be for NOT arguing and being shocked at said arguing.

Jane10 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:01:53

I'm just worrying about everyone's blood pressure. Maybe I should be matron? Or just hold people's coats while they get stuck in to good going fights?

Katek Fri 16-Jun-17 18:04:49

Ds worked as a bouncer (sorry....door steward) when he was at uni. Will I see if he's available?

petra Fri 16-Jun-17 18:05:50

Try a cardamom pod in your Gin, devine smile

Rigby46 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:06:37

A typical post could be

Quick Anya a pint of the house red, I can't bear the peace and quiet breaking out all over GN. There are threads where NOONE is arguing - even and you won't believe this, there is an outbreak of praising the Queen. Always the same group of posters, I don't know what's got into them, they clearly really enjoy being nice to people and agreeing with each other . Another pint while I square up for battle

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion