Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm driving myself mad with my pedantry!

(65 Posts)
nanasam Thu 22-Jun-17 11:14:28

I'm a Virgo. Enough said. I know where to find things and have to have things in their right place. When DH puts utensils in the wrong place I ask 'where would you go to find it in the first place? So, why don't you put it back there?'.
However, i'm driving myself mad with - pegs. My peg bag was always fine when I had plain wooden pegs but I've now got some pink and blue plastic ones and I can't stand to see them mixed up on my washing. If I pull out a blue peg I have to go searching for another to match. Can't stand to see mismatched pegs. I've even gone as far as using blue ones for DH's underwear and pink for mine! Help!!! has anyone got any suggestions? I know I'm being ridiculous!

valeriej43 Thu 22-Jun-17 11:22:57

I had to laugh at this with the pegs, i do exactly the same thing, not with anything else,just the pegs,
I have to have the same coloured pegs on each item of washing

Ana Thu 22-Jun-17 11:36:01

I don't think that's technically pedantry, more like OCD!

Luckygirl Thu 22-Jun-17 11:38:02

Heavens above! - life is just too short for this stuff!

shysal Thu 22-Jun-17 11:42:58

I got so cross with myself that I bought 2 new packs of pegs all in the same colour to put an end to it. I couldn't quite bring myself to throw out the multi-coloured ones, but will offer them to DD.
I am also fussy about the type of peg. I have a retractable line on a reel , which has a small diameter making most pegs too loose to hold washing firmly. When I saw the packs of same-coloured favourite brand I couldn't believe my luck. Unfortunately they are yellow, but they will have to do!

nanasam Thu 22-Jun-17 12:19:20

I agree, lucky I so wish I didn't have to go through it every time I hang washing out. I should use the tumble dryer!

ninathenana Thu 22-Jun-17 13:17:46

Several people have said the same on the washing protocol thread.
Personally I never pay attention to the colour of the peg.

Shock horror, [shople I even use a coloured plastic one and a wooden one on the same item. I'm doomed !

rosesarered Thu 22-Jun-17 13:36:17

nanasam heehee! I am the same, in fact have just said that on the laundry thread, so did harrigran and others, so we are not alone.grin It is a tad OCD but who cares?

rosesarered Thu 22-Jun-17 13:38:30

nina shock that's just so wrong! I may need a lie down whilst I clutch my imaginary pearls.

NanaandGrampy Thu 22-Jun-17 13:55:11

Throw out all your pink and blue pegs and buy new ones, one colour only. ! Sorted :-)

shysal Thu 22-Jun-17 15:21:16

That is what I have done N&G. All yellow now.

hildajenniJ Thu 22-Jun-17 15:36:28

As long as they are pegged securely to the line, then I don't care what the pegs look like. I have a very assorted hotch potch of pegs, some wooden and some plastic yellow ones. There are two or three odd blue plastic ones in there too.
I understand about the utensils though. My DH does the same. I go to the drawer for the fish slice, and find it with the table cutlery in the drawer above. He knows perfectly well where it lives!

costalminder Thu 22-Jun-17 15:45:02

What is it with pegs? I do the same and it seems I am not alone. What trauma did we experience as children to cause this problem?

jollyg Thu 22-Jun-17 16:20:55

Saddo here. I used to count out the pegs as I used them.

Regarding utensils in the wrong drawer. Ive got one of them too.

'I thoughtI'd put it in the right place

The joys of other halves!

lizzypopbottle Thu 22-Jun-17 19:13:24

I've got several sets of cutlery in the drawer. They're mixed up together in the drawer but I won't have a mixed set to eat with, neither will my son. My daughter doesn't care tuppence about putting mismatched cutlery out.

berdie Thu 22-Jun-17 19:23:23

* Nanasam*, go for it girl,my wife does not understand my Virgo traits. I like everything in its place, because as you said," where did you get it from". Pedantic, no organised.wink.

hulahoop Thu 22-Jun-17 21:33:48

I am another who mixes pegs plastic wood all colours as long as they do the job but I do know a few people who have to use matching colours .?

BlueBelle Fri 23-Jun-17 06:46:57

Blimey the world is falling to pieces and some of you worry about the colour of pegs PLEEEZE
there is only one way to cure this and yes it is OCD you hang your washing out with a jumble of pegs then go and get on with life do this a few times and you will have broken the habit but you have to make your self go through the discomfort that is if you want to bother if not just enjoy your same colour pegs and give the infiltrators away you can send them to me I ll use anything that does the job

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 06:55:14

I'm bookmarking this thread so that if any of my family ever say I'm fussy I can tell them to read it.

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 07:14:54

PS I'm not using the word 'fussy' in a nasty way.

Anya Fri 23-Jun-17 07:36:50

Is this for real? confused

DanniRae Fri 23-Jun-17 08:14:39

Nope - any colour pegs suit me - but as I said on another thread, I never leave them on the line. I hang my peg bag on the line and put them in as I go along.

Grampie Fri 23-Jun-17 09:43:23

My clothes pegs are all wooden.

My socks are all the same in just three colours so I can mix them without having to sort them.

However I always pair my socks from the washing machine, pegged to the clothes line and into the airing cupboard.

Everything else is a mess.

BTW, this thread should be called:

"I'm driving myself mad with my pegantry!"

Omaoma57 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:55:48

I call this OCP cos it makes me happy to see matching pegs on my washing line and even husband does it now....also like to match the colour of the item....so sad but such fun! Hee hee

Bebe47 Fri 23-Jun-17 10:15:28

Get a life I say !! Try my way - No Pegs Required !!
My washing hardly ever reaches the washing line, never mind about pegging if out - backs of chairs on the patio if it's sunny and on the radiators inside if it's wet!! Simples!!