Gransnet forums

Chat

So. . . . .would you be brave enough to end it all? And if so, how?

(108 Posts)
Newquay Thu 13-Jul-17 19:44:11

Had a lovely chatty lunch today with some girl (!) friends. Discussed everything. . . As you do. . . . And somehow got on to what we would do if we got something awful and had had enough. I said I would be saddened, but wouldn't hesitate, to get on a plane to Switzerland although I resent not being able to "do the deed" here.
One (lovely) friend said she has monks hood growing her garden and understands it's all very poisonous so she would whizz the whole lot up in her liquidiser-with some sugar-and Bob's your uncle!
I didn't know about that plant in any event.

durhamjen Mon 17-Jul-17 08:48:23

Esspee, even in the case of dementia you can have it written into your advance directive that you do not want to be kept alive in that situation.
Unfortunately my mother in law did not, even though she knew her son had. She never thought it would happen to her.

Eglantine19 Mon 17-Jul-17 10:09:01

My mother had a massive brain tumour which had eaten through her skull and pressed on the pain centres of her brain. All her body was a mass of pain which could not be relieved because no drug could counteract the effect of the tumour. She begged me to "help her go" and I had to say that I couldn't because I had young children at the time and would be imprisoned.
Would I do that for someone I loved now that I don't have other responsibilities. I hope I would. How much better if it could be done in legally.
I can't believe that those opposed to legal suicide have ever had to witness anything like that. How cruel to make someone continue in agony when death the only outcome anyway.

downsized Mon 17-Jul-17 11:32:04

I wouldn't have the guts to do it. There have been times in the past when depression made me feel life had no point but I never had the courage to end it all. Glad I didn't now. I realise it is different if one is terminally ill, but I still couldn't do it.

Eglantine19 Mon 17-Jul-17 11:46:49

Perhaps if you were in constant, screaming agony you might feel differently downsized? If you knew you were going to die in two or three days anyway and that every minute of those days would be unrelenting pain?

Newquay Mon 17-Jul-17 22:37:49

Interestingly there's a poor chap in the news today going to Court to be able to decide when he wants "out". Decision delayed til Ocotber for goodness sake!
I hope I would have the courage to end my suffering and, therefore, the suffering it would cause my dear family too. But it would have to be definite so I wouldn't end up in a worse state so I'm not sure what to do.
As OP have said a trip to the vets would be in order to stop an animals suffering but not us!

Anya Tue 18-Jul-17 09:06:46

Nobody is going to force (or cajole) anyone into 'ending it all' but what the Dignity campaign is all about is choice

vampirequeen Tue 18-Jul-17 09:17:00

It seems sad that in this case the man knows how he is going to die and how horrible it is going to be. Rather than being allowed to choose the time and place he's going to be forced to suffer for days in a semi-comatose state. We have no qualms about putting an animal out of it's misery but we insist that our own kind suffer when they make it clear that they don't want to.

I don't think assisted suicide should be simple but if two doctors agree that the person involved is able to make that choice and it's not due to mental health issues why can't it go to court and be judged on it's individual merits.

Would I like to suffer and eventually suffocate leaving my family with their final images of me in the throes of painful suffocation fighting for every breath and suffering greatly or would I like them to remember be as relaxed and ready?