Gransnet forums

Chat

Duct tape and WD 40 important part of your survival kit.

(58 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sat 15-Jul-17 13:52:00

Who would have thought it??
Not me!
2 strong tree branches and duct tape
voila you have a stretcher!
To remove snow/ ice from your windscreen just squirt with WD40

My new found wasting time hobby
Pinterest blush

Oriel Sat 15-Jul-17 14:53:25

Apparently you can use WD40 on your trees to prevent beavers chewing them!!!

........So useful grin

www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/06/28/40-weird-wonderful-uses-wd-40

SueDonim Sat 15-Jul-17 15:05:56

grin

My mantra is 'There are only two things you need in life; WD40 to make things go and Duct Tape to make them stop.'

Cherrytree59 Sat 15-Jul-17 16:05:56

Oreil Have yet to spy a beaver in my garden.
But might give the tree trunks a spray,
you never know it might stop the cats. climbing up after the birds
Think cartoon cat sliding down tree with puzzled look on its little face smile

SueDomingrin
When you look at it that way
I might be in need a Survival Kit

Cherrytree59 Sat 15-Jul-17 16:13:58

Just read the lifehacker link
It will make your spade dig faster!
How will I keep up?shock

Jalima1108 Sat 15-Jul-17 16:20:45

you can use duct tape on verrucas apparently - it makes them disappear!

I don't know if you have to spray with WD40 first
(don't try this at home)

vampirequeen Sat 15-Jul-17 18:01:11

Duct tape is all well and good but I've discovered and fell in love with Gorilla tape.

Deedaa Sat 15-Jul-17 21:06:20

Surely everyone has WD40 and Gaffer Tape? Although if you live in the country the other essential is Baler Twine (otherwise known as Cornish Glue) With these three items you can fix anything!

SueDonim Sat 15-Jul-17 21:28:14

I bought my farmer son-in-law a book of 100 Things To Do with Baler Twine. He was very happy with it!

Chewbacca Sat 15-Jul-17 21:51:02

WD40 is fantastic for cleaning stainless steel, uPVC, and glass. Duct tape? Not found a use for that yet but may do next week when GC come to stay.

phoenix Sat 15-Jul-17 22:54:49

I love the smell of WD 40 blush!

phoenix Sat 15-Jul-17 22:59:56

Just to add, came back from a short trip to the local shop with DS1, to find DIL severely admonishing DGS for strapping his little sister (DGD) to the banisters with duct tape confusedgrin

Chewbacca Sat 15-Jul-17 23:07:40

That might be my use for it next week phoenix !

phoenix Sat 15-Jul-17 23:26:33

grin

Nelliemoser Sun 16-Jul-17 00:18:25

A part of my now very old vax carpet shampoo machine had broken. There are no spares available now. (its over 30yrs old).
The broken part is the the handle mechanism that pumps the water down and it no longer clips onto the hose.
One strip of gaffer tape around the handle and hose every time you need to use it and "Bobs your uncle" as my dad would have said.
No woman should be without a small set of allen keys, a multi ended spanner and a good quality screw driver.
My first car was a real banger and after I watched an AA man cleaning out the carburetta when the rust blocked it I could temporarily fix it with that.

ninathenana Sun 16-Jul-17 06:58:01

I can vouch for using WD40 on stainless steel Chewbacca it's what H wink always uses on the splashback behind the cooker.

J52 Sun 16-Jul-17 07:06:31

In the past I owned Citroen 2CVs, I NEVER ventured out without a can of WD40. It was essential kit, particularly after heavy rain when the cars would judder to a halt. A quick spray with WD40 and I was off again.

It's also great at cleaning up the wood burning stove. I have also heard that sprayed around planters, it stops snails climbing into them.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 16-Jul-17 09:55:41

Isn't WD40 flammable? For that reason I wouldn't use it on a woodburner, nor the splash back behind the cooker. Nor would I want that "garage" smell in the kitchen. Other than that I love it for all sorts of other jobs.

Rosina Sun 16-Jul-17 10:05:33

We have a black cast iron Victorian fireplace which I used to polish with 'Zebo' (sp?) After advice from the installer when he called to service the gas fire, I now use WD40 which makes it look fantastic. I let it dry thoroughly before using the fire, and this method is a lot less messy! A friend uses it to make her worktops shine. Just to be boring - it's called WD40 because the 'WD' stands for water displacement and 40 because it was the 40th attempt to get it right... but I expect you all knew that.

AliBeeee Sun 16-Jul-17 10:12:08

While on holiday in the Bahamas in April my OH went for a haircut at the local barbers. After asking for his usual (number 0, head shave) he was a bit surprised to see the barber spray the blade razor with WD40 before shaving his head. Gave him the closest shave ever seen.

Gagagran Sun 16-Jul-17 10:13:55

WD40 is excellent on my new granite hearth too - as advised by the fitter.

Like that interesting fact about the name of it Rosina. I shall keep that in mu memory bank!

ggmarion Sun 16-Jul-17 10:15:17

I always though WD meant War Department! blush I use it on my slate splash backs and they come up a treat.

inishowen Sun 16-Jul-17 11:24:13

I bought a vintage wicker basket last week. Some of it was coming apart. I mended it with duct tape. You'd hardly notice the repair as it's all the same colour.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 16-Jul-17 11:28:02

I have a can of WD40 in my bathroom for the plug in the sink. It is a pop-up one and the stupid thing keeps getting stuck so I can't empty the sink. I have to squirt the rubber seal every few days to stop it sticking. Annoying!

Llamedos13 Sun 16-Jul-17 13:33:39

Just wondering if any of you have tried using this wonder spray on stainless steel on the fridge and stove to keep it shiny and fingerprint free.I have tried everything under the sun on my appliances but they never look as gleaming as I wish them to.