Gransnet forums

Chat

Hull City of Culture 2017

(95 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 17-Jul-17 08:02:38

If you haven't been yet or even thought about it might I suggest that you visit Hull this year. I've always been proud of my city but the changes and events this year have been amazing. The city has so much to offer. Why not pop over for the day or even two or three days? There is so much to see and do.

durhamjen Mon 17-Jul-17 23:02:04

How sad, gillybob, that you can only mock somewhere like Hull.
If you read the rest of the thread you will see that there is a lot more to Hull than the Deep. It's a very interesting city for kids, with lots of free museums to look round.

I've been there and back in a day, too, even going to the Deep to meet up with friends.
Do you never drive for a couple of hours or so, to meet up with friends, or to go and see somewhere you really want to go?
I've been to the Yorkshire Museum for a day, to Lincoln for a day, to Berwick for a day. My son has even been to Edinburgh, run a marathon and driven back.

gillybob Mon 17-Jul-17 23:12:14

When have I mocked Hull dj ? Really? That is just plain ridiculous. I said we took the children there as they wanted to visit The Deep . That's it. We didn't want to do art galleries or anything else. I had no desire (or money) to stay overnight or for a week or whatever.

Good for your son.

durhamjen Mon 17-Jul-17 23:24:52

Perhaps you ought to take the children there again, to see more than the Deep, to see some of the excellent museums and the art gallery. After all, you are very concerned about their education, aren't you?

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Jul-17 23:34:47

I must have missed The Deep hmm

Oh! An aquarium - I think DH and I decided a couple of years ago that we were 'all aquariumed out'
But if we were ever there with the DGC we could pay a visit to it.

Nelliemoser Mon 17-Jul-17 23:47:38

My daughter has taken her two to the "The Deep" the Hull aquarium and they love it.

durhamjen Mon 17-Jul-17 23:49:10

Yes, it's a bit special for an aquarium, Nellie.
Even the building is impressive.

grannyqueenie Tue 18-Jul-17 01:32:03

My daughter's partner comes from Hull and took part in the Blue Painting, Jen, she said it was great fun and her photos of the day were amazing and well, very blue! They lived in Hull for a few years and another daughter went to uni there too so we visited the city regularly in those days. I must admit it was a bit of a trek from London. Sadly it's not a place you pass on the way to anywhere else so we haven't been there for some 18 years or so, but seeing some of the posts tempts me to visit again and now we live in Yorkshire it wouldn't be difficult at all.

gillybob Tue 18-Jul-17 07:28:51

dJ if that was your attempt of sarcasm you can shove it where the sun don't shine . Plain nasty .

My DGC enjoy more varied experiences than most children would do they just don't go to Hull for them okay and yes I do value their education!

Pathetic .

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 08:54:16

Not sarcasm at all; just plugging Hull's excellent museums.
As I presume you will do if Sunderland becomes City of Culture next time.

No need to be so rude.

Is the Hasholme boat still there, the oldest log boat in the country, I believe. Does anyone know?

mcem Tue 18-Jul-17 09:06:09

Hull is just a bit too far away for a short visit but it's good to see such enthusiasm - good ambassadors for the city.
I want you to know that I'm saying this through gritted teeth because Dundee made it to the final 4 but Hull won the accolade!!

vampirequeen Tue 18-Jul-17 09:22:07

The Hasholme boat is on display in the Hull and East Riding Museum. It's amazing to see how people were building huge boats for trade 3000 years ago.

gillybob Tue 18-Jul-17 09:26:49

After all , you are very concerned about their education aren't you?

Not sarcastic ? Really ? Whatever you say dj.

trisher Tue 18-Jul-17 09:53:52

Oh you've reminded me of so many thing from my childhood! The model Wilberforce in the museum used to scare me to death (I was an imaginative child). I was told so many stories about King Billy -most of which weren't true-including how when the clock strikes 13 he gets off his horse and goes to the pub for a drink (Figured that out eventually). There also was the slope next to the pier where horses were taken down -known locally as the 'oss wosh! I need to go back and not for a funeral.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 09:55:52

I don't think that was a very kind thing to say djen, especially to gillybob who only wants the best for her DGC, as we all do.
Don't you home-educate your DGS yourself?

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 09:57:33

The model Wilberforce in the museum used to scare me to death (I was an imaginative child).
they now have a virtual reality film enacted by a drama student at the museum.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 09:59:32

The Humber Bridge has just been granted Grade One Listing.

We could have gone the other way round but decided to go over it both ways.

vampirequeen Tue 18-Jul-17 13:13:07

I used to be scared of the Wilberforce model too. I don't like what they've done to parts of Wilberforce house recently. Some of it is still very good but others are too much reading and not enough to look at. They've got rid of the mock up slave hold and the selling block with the voice of the auctioneer selling people which I thought were very effective.

I forgot to mention when selling days out in the city that Queens Gardens in the city centre (near the Dock Museum) is a lovely place to have a picnic lunch. If you have fish and chips don't forget to ask for a patty. They're a mashed potato and herbs mixture fried in batter. I've never found them anywhere else but in this are.

TriciaF Tue 18-Jul-17 14:37:42

We lived in Hessle, near the Humber Bridge, and our children often went down there to play. And to Little Switzerland, trying to get going on a home-made raft on the lake there.
One of them fell in once, swallowed a lot of water and was rather poorly for a day or two hmm
I wonder if Little Swiss is still there?

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 16:50:28

Jalima, I don't think it was very kind of gillybob to say she is not sure about this whole city of culture thing.

If she had looked at more than The Deep and gone to some free museums, she would have found that Hull has lots of culture - which is, after all, what this thread is about.

Elrel Tue 18-Jul-17 17:24:27

The posts which are about places in Hull are very interesting and makes me think I'd enjoy some time there. I seem to have heard of, but not read, a book called 'Land of Green Ginger', the intriguing phrase stuck in my memory.

gillybob Tue 18-Jul-17 17:29:08

I Stand by what I said dj " I am not sure about this whole city of culture thing" this bears no reference to Hull, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sunderland or anywhere at all (I think the clue was in the word WHOLE.

I could name plenty cities, all equally rich in culture. None more deserving than the rest .

I would never question your concern about your grandchildren's education. and I also stand by my comment that you meant it in a nasty sarcastic way.

vampirequeen Tue 18-Jul-17 19:21:57

If you visit the Land of Green Ginger see if you can spot the smallest window.

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 19:39:22

I could tell you what you could do with your comment, gillybob, but I am never as crude as that.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 20:16:49

djen I think that saying something about a city or about the concept of City of Culture is quite different to making remarks about someone's family.
Even if it is your city and you love it.

wot Tue 18-Jul-17 20:39:46

I love Hull and wanted to live there. Might still do it I sell my Norfolk place!