Gransnet forums

Chat

Hull City of Culture 2017

(95 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 17-Jul-17 08:02:38

If you haven't been yet or even thought about it might I suggest that you visit Hull this year. I've always been proud of my city but the changes and events this year have been amazing. The city has so much to offer. Why not pop over for the day or even two or three days? There is so much to see and do.

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 20:50:18

Perhaps, Jalima, you ought to read the thread again.
It's not long.
I didn't say anything about gillybob's family until she had been sarcastic to me.

I said there were hotels in Hull in rsponse to both hildajennyj and gillybob.
They both said they had only been there for a day, in fact in hilda's case overnight to catch the ferry. I then continued talking about Hull.

It was gillybob who brought up her family.

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 20:56:02

Great Exhibiton of the North next year in Gateshead/Newcastle.
I presume those who don't think much of the idea of City of Culture are not going to think much of that either.

wot Tue 18-Jul-17 21:07:11

Do you know when that's on jen, please?

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 21:28:04

June to September next year, wot.

getnorth2018.com/our-story/

wot Tue 18-Jul-17 21:30:23

Thanks! I might try and make the long journey.

wot Tue 18-Jul-17 21:45:53

Yay! I'm gonna go!!

gillybob Tue 18-Jul-17 22:22:29

You may not be not crude dj . You are just sarcastic and a bit of know it all .

And it WAS absolutely YOU who made the sarcastic remark about my family. And how I "supposedly valued their education".

^Great Exhibiton of the North next year in Gateshead/Newcastle.
I presume those who don't think much of the idea of City of Culture are not going to think much of that either^

No you're not sarcastic at all are you ? grin

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 22:30:40

That was supposed to be sarcastic, gillybob.
My first comment wasn't.
Why does talking about the City I was born in make me a know it all?

Some of us have had pleasant memories brought back to us about where we were born and lived, and perhaps want to live in the future.
Nothing know it all about that.

gillybob Tue 18-Jul-17 22:57:53

I am not just talking about this thread dj as you probably well know. But I have no desire to rake up old stuff.

You can't even resist another little dig at the end of your last post can you?

"Some of us have had pleasant memories.... "

I really can't be bothered. Have more pressing things on my mind. Goodnight.

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 23:13:37

Sorry, but how is that a dig? You are getting ridiculous now.

That's what the thread is about, Hull, city of culture.
You're quite welcome to clear off and leave us to our reminiscences about Hull and the Humber Bridge, Land of Green Ginger, even the new Minster, which I didn't know we had.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 23:14:49

I said there were hotels in Hull in rsponse to both hildajennyj and gillybob
Be careful where you choose to stay, folks, the food at the one we stayed at was just abysmal. I have never had such dreadful food in any establishment.

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 23:22:15

Where was that, Jalima?
My son worked in one years ago that wasn't so good, but it's no longer a hotel.
Not that I need one because I have family there still.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 23:24:28

Perhaps I shouldn't name it but it was right next to the station. Faded grandeur would best describe it - but it had just been taken over by another chain. Staff were lovely though.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 23:24:56

There was a statue of Philip Larkin just outside!

durhamjen Tue 18-Jul-17 23:37:39

Yes, I know the one you mean.

I used to go round the park and stand outside Philip Larkin's flat to see if I could see him. Not on my own, I hasten to add.
Our teacher knew him.

vampirequeen Tue 18-Jul-17 23:55:37

I would think twice about that hotel. It was left to become very run down by the big company that owned it. There are lots of others though that are very good. The new Premier Inn near The Deep seems very nice and there are a couple of nice hotels in Hessle which is just before you arrive in Hull. There is another Premier Inn called Home Farm. It has a Brewer's Fayre attached. I've eaten there a few times. It's standard pub grub but nice. The other hotel I've eaten at is The Village. I was at a conference and to our joy lunch was laid on in the restaurant lol.

TriciaF Wed 19-Jul-17 09:00:51

Î think Hull has had a poor image in the past, and that's all most people know about it. The death of the fishing industry had a lot to do with it, resulting in poverty for many people.
But while I was there the council etc did a lot to lift Hull's image. Other positives - the land is very fertile and there's a thriving market garden industry.
And we followed the Rugby - 2 competing RL teams. Then the modernising of the Marina area - our last house was there, before we moved.
So it's an attractive city.

trisher Wed 19-Jul-17 10:04:54

Don't know when you stayed there Jalima but I used it when I was there with my mum for a funeral. Brilliant if you have mobility problems. Access to train station, taxis and town. And another great thing about Hull the entire city centre is now wheelchair friendly and totally adapted for those using mobility aids. You can hire mobility scooters at the station and all the kerbs have dropped areas for crossings. It was easier to push mum round than anywhere we have been.
Oh and Queen Vic stayed at that hotel when she was in Hull.
We only had breakfast there, being in Hull we went to Carvers for Fish and chips where my mum proceeded to give an account of their family tree!

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Jul-17 10:07:23

The hotel would have been fine - very clean if a bit shabby and our room was OK but it was just that the food was dire and the drinks very expensive! It was handy for the city centre though.
However, I don't hold out much hope for improvement now it has been taken over.

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Jul-17 10:09:22

It was a couple of months ago trisher.
We wished we had gone for fish and chips!
Breakfast was OK though.

trisher Wed 19-Jul-17 10:15:52

Oh you must have fish and chips in Hull! Carvers is a family business now on 4th or 5th generation (mum would know). They used to have a market stall as well. On a Saturday you went round the market and then bought bag of chips at Carvers.

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Jul-17 10:18:23

Well, we are going to have to go back!!

Such a long way though.

Nandalot Wed 19-Jul-17 10:43:07

Thank you so much for starting this thread, VQ. We went to Hull at the beginning of May to see Al Stewart at City Hall. Great concert but we were a bit disappointed with the surroundings, lots of closed up shops and unfinished projects, like a big concert venue and the mini amphitheatre and even some street decking not finished. We felt if it had been in the south the money would have been found to finish these in time for the start of the year of culture. The window of weeping poppies was very effective.
However, thanks to your suggestions, we are definitely going back with the DGCs this summer hols. to see some of the sights you mentioned. Really looking forward to it,

vampirequeen Wed 19-Jul-17 13:08:24

The works are all finished now and the city centre looks amazing. They had to do an awful lot of work in a relatively short period of time and unfortunately didn't finish on time but it's been worth the upheaval.

The Weeping Poppies was amazing as is the Sea of Hull.

This website might be helpful www.hull2017.co.uk/whatson/

oldgoat Thu 27-Jul-17 22:51:56

We are off to Hull tomorrow with the GCs. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions vampirequeen . OH used to live in Hull when he was a lad. Doesn't think he'll recognise the place now. Do they still sell meat pie in a bowl, covered with mushy peas ?