Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do you come to Gransnet?

(567 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Jul-17 15:52:30

Aside from the virtual cake obviously... grin

It would be really helpful for us to know what you like about Gransnet, and what draws you to the site? Is it the general chatter and social aspect, the advice, the competitions, the word games, the articles, the webchats. If you were to pick your top three (or if you can't think of three then just one will do!) reasons for logging on, or what keeps you coming back, what would they be?

gillybob Thu 20-Jul-17 17:39:24

Can I change my original response to;

I have no bloomin' idea why I come, must be a glutton for punishment.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Jul-17 17:40:17

grin

kittylester Thu 20-Jul-17 17:57:25

It's for the fun and frolics gilly. grin

grannysue05 Thu 20-Jul-17 17:58:08

It's fun.
There is comradeship ....Oh, I hope I don't sound Russian!
It is stimulating (well ...most days anyway).
I love it.

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 18:05:10

Ha, ha durhamjen - that might be the reason you think you come on here but you can't resist the odd mention of your past life, can you? grin

gillybob Thu 20-Jul-17 18:10:30

Oh indeed it is kitty sometimes I laugh so much I could cry. [grun]

gillybob Thu 20-Jul-17 18:11:11

Can't even grin properly anymore . What is the world coming to eh?

seacliff Thu 20-Jul-17 18:13:40

It is not for competitions, web chat, word games and articles.
I like the general chat, not politics. I like the chance to meet in real life with a lovely group of people. I think this idea should be expanded on gransnet, as so many admit to loneliness. I like being able to ask for advice from a wide cross section of people on all sorts of "problems", it really helps when you find others are going through a similar thing. Also sometimes for opinions on products. If I can't sleep at night, there is usually something of interest. And selfish as it may seem, when I read what some poor people are going through, It makes me count my blessings.

M0nica Thu 20-Jul-17 18:16:26

I only access the Forums, nothing else. I enjoy the wide diversity of people I meet on here and the experiences they have and the wide variety of topics that are discussed. I have made one good friend who lives locally, who I would not otherwise have met.

I used to really enjoy the political debates, but these have now become the preserve of a small coterie of people nearly all in complete agreement with each other on everything and saying the same things again and again and again, and uninterested in discussing in any rational way any views not in accord with theirs. I now avoid political threads because they are now so very boring.

Oh, and of course Gransnet is the perfect procrastinator when I want to avoid doing other things.

durhamjen Thu 20-Jul-17 18:19:07

Ana, what did that jibe mean?

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 18:20:02

What 'jibe'?

Rigby46 Thu 20-Jul-17 18:20:10

And you Ana you can't resist it either.dj has recently shared some very heart rending details of her past life with us on GN - I expect that was what you were referring to?

Primrose65 Thu 20-Jul-17 18:23:11

I'm new to Gransnet Lara. I came here out of curiosity really.

I think there's good practical advice - plenty of opportunities to learn something new and the anonymity of an online persona can help you ask questions you'd be reticent to ask in real life. It's also great when you can help another person out!

The different threads do seem to have quite disparate cultures, so that's been a baptism of fire.

I'd agree there is comradeship and the sense of a virtual community too.

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 18:23:45

Eh? Of course not - what an unpleasant mind you have, Rigby.

Rigby46 Thu 20-Jul-17 18:26:36

It's odd isn't it that the two most unpleasant posts on this thread are aimed at the same person - some might even call it bullying.

Rigby46 Thu 20-Jul-17 18:28:55

No ana YOU mentioned sharing her past life - if you know what I'm referring to, you shouldn't have said that should you? In fact why did you have to say it in the first place? What did it contribute to the thread? Just another go at dj

rascal Thu 20-Jul-17 18:30:32

I like the humour I often have a good laugh. The advice from people of a similar age group as myself. I don't feel so alone when I settle down to read what's been going on in Gransnet. smile flowers

Charleygirl Thu 20-Jul-17 18:32:13

At times I find it informative. The general chat and I am amazed at how kind many people are.

I also enjoy the monthly meetups with 3 other GNs and we having been doing this for over 3 years now.

I also communicate very regularly with two others via email and that allows each to get problems off our chests without family or anybody else knowing.

The general comradeship as others have mentioned but I do not like the bickering especially on political forums. Many times I feel I need to wear my tin hat more often.

Eloethan Thu 20-Jul-17 18:33:14

I like the News and Politics threads, discussing books, TV and cinema, and sometimes there are some good laughs, cartoons, etc.

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 18:42:02

OK Rigby - past life as in former home towns, vegetarian B&Bs, broken writs, home schooling - none of these were posted on the political sites.

I'm sure you'll find some objection, but I'm past caring...

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 18:42:45

broken wrists...sigh...

gillybob Thu 20-Jul-17 18:46:57

Why not join the club of past carers Ana ?

I am the secretary and membership.

NanKate Thu 20-Jul-17 18:48:50

To read about other Gransnetters' lives which compare or are different from mine.

To get advice on makeup

To be recommended to new authors

To find out opinions on TV and films to see if they are worth watching.

I have tried to 'mostly' avoid political threads where some Gransnetters are quite nasty to each other.

I have also learned to avoid saying the following words which often cause a hooha grin. Daily Mail and grammar schools.

To get advice on medical matters.

To join in a few virtual parties. I thoroughly enjoyed organising the GN Olympics. Some of the comments were hilarious.

I'm sure there are other reasons but it is someone else's turn now.

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 18:49:31

Yes, don't mind if I do gillybob - thanks!

durhamjen Thu 20-Jul-17 18:50:56

But, Ana, that wasn't the question.
What draws me to Gransnet is to discuss politics with like-minded people.
Just because I post other things doesn't mean that that is what draws me to Gransnet.