Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do you come to Gransnet?

(566 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Jul-17 15:52:30

Aside from the virtual cake obviously... grin

It would be really helpful for us to know what you like about Gransnet, and what draws you to the site? Is it the general chatter and social aspect, the advice, the competitions, the word games, the articles, the webchats. If you were to pick your top three (or if you can't think of three then just one will do!) reasons for logging on, or what keeps you coming back, what would they be?

tanith Thu 20-Jul-17 16:04:13

General chatter
Information I glean from reading others posts
Competitions that I sometimes enter.

Riverwalk Thu 20-Jul-17 16:06:52

I have little or no interest in the competitions, games, articles, webchats, and cake, so I suppose it must be the general Forums. smile

kittylester Thu 20-Jul-17 16:07:23

What Tanith said.

I have lots of people that I think of as friends on here and I like to hear their news.

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 16:10:27

Certainly not the virtual cake...hmm

Yes, as others have said, the chat, the humour and the occasional meeting of a soulmate - even the arguments sometimes!

kittylester Thu 20-Jul-17 16:12:13

Actually it's the virtual wine grin

gillybob Thu 20-Jul-17 16:17:52

I come to Gransnet for the company as I spend most of my days alone, the general chit chat, a good giggle and the invaluable advice on offer.

I mean, where else could you go for good, genuine advice and opinions from so many different people from so many different walks of life?

Oh and I like books too.

rosesarered Thu 20-Jul-17 16:18:56

General Chatter ( the friend of Major Mistake)?
Humour, games, and information ( the household and medical ones in particular.)

Hipsy Thu 20-Jul-17 16:20:49

Comradeship,advice/information and lively debates grin

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Jul-17 16:31:21

I really wonder these days, as some of the remarks by posters these days leave me feeling quite sick.

Perhaps the guidelines have changed since I joined or perhaps posters have become very wily about carefully wording posts so that they do not actually break the rules but can still call other posters unacceptable names or telling them to get off threads.

That being said - there are some normal, kind and entertaining posters on here with often very sound advice. The kind of people whom you may meet in RL.

Gagagran Thu 20-Jul-17 16:31:43

Even though it's "virtual" friendship - we do feel to be friends with a lot of GNs - I agree kitty.

I don't follow the games and keep off any contentious posts but love the kitchen and Good Morning ones especially. There is always informed advice from wise posters available, which is most helpful and I love the books!

Alima Thu 20-Jul-17 16:45:37

For the companionship, sometimes for advice. Often just to see what people think. The trouble is with virtual friends they can get you worried too when they suddenly stop posting. Are they Ok or just fed up with GN? Anyone know if PRINTMISS is ok, not heard from her for ages. Also miss people when they get banned. Can JBF come back now if she wants, been gone almost a year. As Jalima said, lately some posters get away with really spiteful nasty comments and get to stay on the forum. Does seem like double standards sometimes.

Anniebach Thu 20-Jul-17 17:05:31

Companionship, advice, to learn, but not here as much as I would like now for the same reasons given by Jalima.

Greenfinch Thu 20-Jul-17 17:07:07

I love to read the opinions and about the activities of those who post.I value the advice and the recipes and I enjoy the meet ups and belonging to the book club with the opportunity of receiving a free book.

wot Thu 20-Jul-17 17:10:19

What hipsy said.

Lona Thu 20-Jul-17 17:10:57

General chatter, information, especially medical, and advice about anything and everything.
I don't post much as I don't want to get jumped on.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Jul-17 17:11:00

Sorry to have a rant Lara
smile

and not sure why JBF got banned either - for reacting when she was taunted into losing her rag?

TriciaF Thu 20-Jul-17 17:11:22

For me, definitely the companionship.
I still have a husband, TG, but we live in a fairly isolated place and I often feel lonely. But try to keep busy otherwise.
I love the wide variety of personalities, backgrounds and opinions on here.

durhamjen Thu 20-Jul-17 17:11:49

To discuss politics with like-minded people.

Norah Thu 20-Jul-17 17:12:48

Information and Opinions.

Teetime Thu 20-Jul-17 17:20:19

I'm not on as much as used to as I got very fed up with all the politics threads and the disagreements. I like the general chat and fun, not the games. I like to be supportive of anyone in difficulty and if I can help someone looking for a solution to a problem I enjoy that. As for what it gives me - not sure really.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Jul-17 17:23:00

To discuss politics with like-minded people.

That says it all, really

grin

Rigby46 Thu 20-Jul-17 17:30:26

Oh leave it off Jalima you just can't resist it can you

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Jul-17 17:32:26

Yes

Tizliz Thu 20-Jul-17 17:38:06

General chat and opinions - though I rarely post on the politics subjects as I don't like too much controversy. Like competitions and wine