Gransnet forums

Chat

Who peels mushrooms?

(74 Posts)
grannysue05 Mon 24-Jul-17 12:13:57

Just finished preparing sausage casserole for grandchildren's tea tonight.
I wiped the mushrooms, sliced them and added them to the dish.
But I have a friend who PEELS them before she uses them. Says they are dirty otherwise.
What does everyone do?

henetha Tue 25-Jul-17 10:52:42

I am guilty of peeling mushrooms! Don't know why,- just always have. But I will try your various wiping methods from now on.

GoldenAge Tue 25-Jul-17 11:00:57

I peel for one simple reason - you never know the quality of the soil - if it's full of chemicals then the skins are contaminated.

annifrance Tue 25-Jul-17 11:05:02

I love mushrooms and eat kilos of them. I NEVER wash them and only peel them if they have got a bit
slimy.
If anyone suggests doing something unnecessary I say I am too busy stuffing mushrooms. Actually like Jalima I love stuffed mushrooms.

JackyB Tue 25-Jul-17 11:32:47

I have always peeled mushrooms. All the while I'm doing it, I'm telling myself it's a waste of time, but if there's a bit of loose peel, off I go again. I don't like to wash them because I think it makes them taste watery.

They are so easy and very satisfying to peel.

On a cookery programme I once saw they said that you should wash them in a bowl, swirling them round a bit with a couple of handfuls of flour. The flour takes up the dirt and leaves them clean. I tried it a couple of times but I don't think it really worked.

Funnygran Tue 25-Jul-17 11:33:31

My mother used to peel them but like others I merely wipe them if there's a lot of fibre on them. Always use the stalks too. I had some last week that weren't going to be used so made mushroom soup which was delicious. And talking about 'life's too short'.....I never de-seed tomatoes when the recipe says to do so as I reckon you lose too much of the flesh in the process.

JanaNana Tue 25-Jul-17 11:38:05

Both...just wipe the small ones ...peel the large flat field mushrooms.

Cosafina Tue 25-Jul-17 12:34:09

I wash, never peel

Lupatria Tue 25-Jul-17 12:49:25

i peel the big, flat mushrooms but not the little ones. although i do discard the stalks - don't know why but i've always done it.
however i do buy frozen sliced mushrooms which are very good for stews even if my grandaughters fish the bits out!

Juggernaut Tue 25-Jul-17 16:10:35

It's something of a miracle if mushrooms get back to this house from the farm shop!
I buy at least twice as many as I'm going to need, because that allows me the freedom to eat as many as I like straight from the bag!
I've never washed or peeled a mushroom and am not about to start now.
The amount of cow muck I have ingested over the years must be huge, as I only ever give them a quick blow, and wipe off any huge lumps of 'growing medium' before wolfing them down!
I just love mushrooms, all sizes, all varieties, raw, chopped, sliced, fried, any which way!
Why should you always take a mushroom to a party? He's a real 'fungi'!

JanT8 Tue 25-Jul-17 16:34:46

I wonder why you often see 'must wash before use' on many packs of mushrooms?

And yes rosesarered, I agree it's very satisfying peeling the larger ones!

devongirl Tue 25-Jul-17 16:39:54

Jan78 you see that on lots of veg packets - IMO it's just covering their backs in case anyone gets taken ill!

I'm sure I read/saw somewhere that you're not supposed to wash mushrooms, instead wipe them with a clean damp cloth/paper towel?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Jul-17 16:49:49

Never wash - they absorb the water and it ruins them. Always peel - unless the skin doesn't come away easily in which case I wipe grin

Love a mushroom

Mapleleaf Tue 25-Jul-17 17:47:43

I don't peel mushrooms. Just a quick wipe with some kitchen towel. I read somewhere that washing them turns them slimy, but not sure if that's the case as I never have washed them.

kittylester Tue 25-Jul-17 17:59:02

Button mushrooms can't absorb much water with a quick swill in a colander under a running tap.

I only use big flat ones [are they called beefsteak?], buttons or dried!

grannysue05 Tue 25-Jul-17 18:06:36

Thanks for all your views.
I never imagined that there was so much to the humble mushroom.
Obviously we are all fans. Must hunt out more recipes and follow some of your great ideas.

pollyperkins Tue 25-Jul-17 21:31:27

I dont find wiping them satisfactory - (still looks dirty) - I wash button mushrooms and peel if they are getting a bit old/slimy. It doesn't take much longer. I dont think it affects the flavour at all.

Menopaws Wed 26-Jul-17 08:00:43

Right let's try carrots...see how many responses we get!!

Maranta Wed 26-Jul-17 08:46:53

No, I never peel carrots. According to James Wong (ethnobotanist) the polyphenols in carrots are concentrated in their skin and it is sacrilege to peel them.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:26:59

I automatically washed the mushrooms last night - under a running tap and very quickly then sliced them and they went into a stirfry. They were fine, not soggy at all.

Yes, I peel carrots unless they are the new ones in which case I scrub them with my Enjo cloth. ( Brushes can also be used)

paulinecnd Wed 26-Jul-17 15:40:42

I had a job picking mushrooms. They were grown in chicken manure. I always peel them and chop off the end of the stalk

M0nica Wed 26-Jul-17 16:48:38

I do not peel any veg if I can scrub them clean enough. Peeling is very much not the default option. Mind you I do grow most of my own root veg, although not mushrooms, which I think makes a difference because you know how they have been grown and what may or may not be on the skins.

TwiceAsNice Wed 26-Jul-17 17:09:22

Have always peeled them. Daughter doesn't and thinks I'm crazy! I do it quite a lot because I love them

Jennylynn Wed 26-Jul-17 20:17:41

I used to buy mushroom compost from the mushroom farm. The mushrooms were grown inside in large containers where no foreign bodies could get at them. I have never peeled or washed mushrooms. Once you start washing or peeling, they lose their flavour and go mushy.