Gransnet forums

Chat

what makes u feel virtuous?

(82 Posts)
Morgana Fri 28-Jul-17 10:36:45

Feeling very virtuous after clearing out the junk cupboard yesterday! It's still got plenty of junk in it; but we've taken 3 bags to charity shop and have two to go into recycling. Taken me ages to get round to doing it!

Imperfect27 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:13:52

Finally giving 'stuff' away to charity shops - after years - yes, YEARS - of meaning to.

Helping generally.

Leaving the last biscuit for DH (never mind how many I have eaten! grin).

merlotgran Fri 28-Jul-17 22:21:45

DH has just polished off a plate of toast and marmite.

I said, 'No thank you, dear' as I held out my glass for a top up grin

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:33:03

Not having a glass of wine in the evening.

Saying 'no' to a bowl of trifle with marscapone custard would be worthy of a medal!

Imperfect27 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:38:24

Cleaning .... bl***y cleaning .... grin

kooklafan Sat 29-Jul-17 09:27:42

When I do a huge cleaning job I just feel exhausted but in a satisfied way, I wouldn't exactly call it virtuous but perhaps we see the definition differently? To me, feeling virtuous is knowing the kind of person that I am, the fact that I try to show respect and consideration to others and I do have high morals and principles.

Teddy123 Sat 29-Jul-17 09:40:32

Using the power washer!!

grandMattie Sat 29-Jul-17 09:51:16

Doing the cleaning - now I have a cleaner, I feel even more virtuous as the house is sparkling! grin

Kim19 Sat 29-Jul-17 09:57:19

I don't know if virtuous is the right word but I get a huge burst of the feel good factor if I simply achieve that item which I planned to do - be it big or small - at the first intent. Procrastination and deviation seem to come into play big time and I reciprocate with Maggiemaybe's second posting to the letter. Maybe the reason is that the 'task' is something that I should do rather than want to and an automatic resistance builds in? Who knows? Sometimes the task takes so little time in the end that I am aghast at myself. Hey-ho........

annifrance Sat 29-Jul-17 10:03:17

I felt very virtuous, smug and superior when I recently sorted 10 years worth of filing and chucked out 4 large bin liners of stuff. Everything was then neatly filed in the appropriate place. Unfortunately another pile is slowly growing, but I'm determined not to revert to the cardboard box method. OH still hasn't finished his.

Yes, Christine France, no skips here! OH has just cleared the barn, so a trailer load to the dechetterie. We do still get the weekly recycling collection and a monthly big/white goods collection but OH was took embarrassed to put it all out!

The gardens await without.

Diggingdoris Sat 29-Jul-17 10:17:41

I feel virtuous as last night while my DH was out I tidied his wardrobes and drawers. He had no organisation in them, but now all short sleeved together, jumpers folded neatly etc. AND would you believe 66 pairs of socks and another 25 pairs still in their packets! I only ever see the same few pairs come through the wash.
ps no I'm not married to a centipede, just a hoarder!

Flowerofthewest Sat 29-Jul-17 10:19:28

Saving a hedgehog who had fallen into a 2ft hole

Diddy1 Sat 29-Jul-17 11:08:15

I feel virtuous after doing the ironing today, after washing yesterday, had it not rained I wouldnt have attempted it.

maryhoffman37 Sat 29-Jul-17 11:08:18

Filing!

JaneD3 Sat 29-Jul-17 11:16:31

It must be a Leicester thing Kittylester! We have just cleared our garage - 3 trips to the tip, 2 trolleys to the charity shop and 5 different Freecycle gifts. We can see the floor now!

JackyB Sat 29-Jul-17 11:30:22

Just finishing ANYTHING!

Will the ironing basket ever be empty?

JanaNana Sat 29-Jul-17 11:40:35

Cleaning the oven....after bracing my self to do it.

Jane43 Sat 29-Jul-17 13:31:37

Another vote here for cleaning the oven!

GrannyJan9 Sat 29-Jul-17 13:44:14

How Very brave Grannysue - I wouldn't dare do OH shed/garage without him.

But I am prevaricating re sorting clothes.. all wardrobes are full plus new stuff unworn.... but as often as I try - most go back in, once I've tried them on again...Grrrr!

I will feel VERY virtuous once they are done

HootyMcOwlface Sat 29-Jul-17 13:57:00

My vote for the winner goes to flowerofthewest Poor hedgy. X

rosesarered Sat 29-Jul-17 14:00:14

Well done Flower?Saving a hedgehog ranks high with me.smile

rosesarered Sat 29-Jul-17 14:01:31

....and the silver medal goes to AlieOxon for only eating two chocolate digestives.?

Diggingdoris Sat 29-Jul-17 14:01:50

GrannyJan I've started to use my Mums policy of 1 in 1 out. If she bought something new to wear, something had to go to charity. I'm a terrible hoarder and have things in my wardrobe that are 20 years old, but recently, because of running out of space after a spending spree, I've started to be ruthless, to the benefit of the Hospice shop.

Magicmaggie Sat 29-Jul-17 14:27:13

I can't resist passing by my favourite charity shop " just for a browse or blouse".
I always find something, buy it, wear it until I, and others get sick of seeing it, only to return it washed and ironed back to the charity shop to recycle it again?

AlieOxon Sat 29-Jul-17 16:05:38

(Thanks roses!)

Sheilasue Sat 29-Jul-17 16:15:17

Had a clear out yesterday, very satisfying.