Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do I never learn?

(86 Posts)
kittylester Tue 08-Aug-17 11:45:13

Again, at the weekend, I succumbed (succame?) to the lure of ready prepared food and, as usual, we were disappointed and, actually, it hardly saved any time and, certainly, no money. These are not ready meals so still need the 'sides' doing.

This time it was ready prepared pork ribs in a marinade/sauce which were nice enough but not special enough to make it worthwhile. I do it on the basis that it will be easy (and a break for me) but I'm beginning to think that getting a takeaway curry delivered will be easier and not something I could do with ease, or want to do, on a Saturday night especially with Strictly on the horizon.

And, because DH was with me, we have 2 more ready prepared 'things' sitting in the freezer looking at me accusingly!!

Teddy123 Fri 11-Aug-17 14:04:10

Lasagne! Went over to my see my lovely 'best friend' yesterday. Her darling daughter had made us an enormous lasagne from scratch. It was superb.

I'm no cook & have tried all the ready made varieties. Nothing compares to home made so will continue with bomb site kitchen and fuss and bother and always make my own.

kittylester Fri 11-Aug-17 14:06:29

I always make my own lasagne!

Tizliz Fri 11-Aug-17 14:42:53

We had lasagne for dinner last night (home made) and again for lunch today - always make too much.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Aug-17 15:32:00

blush
ooh, am I alone (I don't eat it now anyway)
Unless I make a GF version.

kittylester Fri 11-Aug-17 17:08:07

That's why I make it myself Jalima.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Aug-17 23:31:07

I haven't had lasagne for months, probably over a year, but I quite fancy making one tomorrow.

Probably the packet of gf lasagne has gone out of date by now (never opened).

Welshwife Sat 12-Aug-17 08:14:16

I always make my own lasagne - normally I try and make the bolognaise sauce the day before and leave it to marinate overnight. This then gives time to clear the bomb site kitchen before just making the cheese sauce the following day and layering up. I use two types of meat in the sauce - beef and pork - and some small bacon lardons - here called allumettes. I use a strong cheese for the sauce - here they are the stringy type but in UK I use strong cheddar.
When making curry I do that the day before too as it tastes better after resting.

Welshwife Sat 12-Aug-17 08:19:09

I have done things like rumfopf jars and agree the fruit is wonderful on ice cream about Christmas time and the liqueur is nice but we drink so little of anything except wine. This week I wanted to give a French friend a bottle of sloe gin - had a jar of last year's still waiting to be bottled - but when I did it the colour and flavour was nothing against the one I discovered I had in the cupboard which is about 4-5 years old.- that one really took your breath away so I gave him the old one as I know he will love it.

kittylester Sat 12-Aug-17 08:26:40

Don't think the pasta will have gone off Jalima. The problem i find with all gf pasta is that it doesn't freeze well.

Sainsbury's 4 cheese sauce is brilliant to buy when it's on offer and freeze. I can get all the components for a lasagne out in the morning and assemble in the evening. I add mustard, nutmeg and black pepper to the cheese sauce.

I use the cheese sauce for cauliflower cheese too.

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Aug-17 10:27:48

Sainsbury is a long way away unfortunately.

I think the best way to make lasagne (sez she who hasn't made it for ages) is to use home frozen batch cooked bolognaise sauce with ready made cheese sauce and no-need-to pre-cook lasagne sheets - must look out for that
cheese sauce if/when we get to Sainsbury's.

Otherwise the kitchen can look like a demolition site.