Gransnet forums

Chat

Does my bum look big in this

(37 Posts)
Tippy22 Fri 11-Aug-17 10:13:51

Before we went out to dinner last night I tried on a new sparkly cardigan and asked my husband what he thought. He said it looked very nice. So duly got changed into the rest of my outfit, nice pair of evening trousers. When i said to my husbsnd I'm ready he turned to me and said I preferred the other trousers you were wearing - they had been my jogging bottoms!

sluttygran Thu 17-Aug-17 13:56:09

I've heard them called 'fabrications', 'incidentals' and 'pokey head bits' - that was DGD's description.
I really dislike fascinators, probably because I look like a circus pony in them!

f77ms Mon 14-Aug-17 14:59:06

dihut Did you take the dead pidgeon off? I absolutely hate them too , every wedding I go to all the women wear them , they look so silly . My Mum who got her words mixed up called them ` fornicators` !

Margs Mon 14-Aug-17 14:54:46

NEVER, EVER ask a man's opinion of your outfit/appearance - after all, they're (well, most of 'em) quite content to wear the same suit day in/day out and year in/year out.

Until it's falls to bits - and then they get a new one and the same thing happens all over again......

And any man who wears those dreadful, baggy Cargo Shorts in the summer probably can't even spell the word "fashion" never mind have a clue what it is.

W11girl Sun 13-Aug-17 16:01:03

Whenever I ask my husband if "I look alright in this" and he says yes, I immediately change into another outfit, as he has no taste whatsover! It has become a running joke with us!

Antonia Sun 13-Aug-17 14:56:36

When I was shopping for trousers for myself DH tried his best to be helpful. "How about these?" he asked, "it says extra large." That was not the kind of helpful assistance I was looking for.

Peaseblossom Sun 13-Aug-17 12:51:11

Annifrance the cot must have been a bit hard, not to mention draughty! grin

annifrance Sat 12-Aug-17 23:41:12

I recently asked DD f the cot I was wearing was OK at my age. Borderline, she said!

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Aug-17 20:55:18

I do see men shopping for clothes with their partners and am always astonished that they take an interest! picking things out of racks confused - send him to the coffee shop!!

1974cookie Sat 12-Aug-17 20:48:41

I learned a long time ago not to ask my Partner for his opinion. If he had his way ie: I would be wearing clothes like his mother used to wear.
A few years ago I had my long hair chopped off and completely restyled by my wonderful and trusted hairdresser who I gave free rein to. She then dyed it in shades of dark blond, something that I would never, ever have dared to try.
The result was amazing. My family and my friends, loved it and it really did take a few years off me. It boosted my confidence enormously, but my Partner hated it, and still does. He does like to have a dig at it now and again.
Suffice to say.
I take absolutely no notice of his opinion, and gently remind him at least I HAVE hair.
Bless him.?

Granny43 Sat 12-Aug-17 17:03:48

My DH picks things out of the racks in shops, if he likes them, and says "that's nice, it'll suit you" - my usual reply is "I don't want to walk about dressed like Margaret Thatcher!" Hence I take no notice of his sartorial advice!

MargaretX Sat 12-Aug-17 16:05:15

My DH is at the stage when he says 'you'll be sending it back anyway! Now I don't ask him and keep sending things back.
The sizing is impossible now.

dihut Sat 12-Aug-17 15:40:55

I tried on my outfit for an upcoming wedding and my DH said I looked "fine" apart from the dead pigeon on my head!! (That would be my fascinator)

NonnaW Sat 12-Aug-17 15:37:38

My DH will tell me if he's not keen on something, and is very good at picking out clothes for me when shopping.

CardiffJaguar Sat 12-Aug-17 13:55:37

When asked I try to be helpful but 50% of the time I am not, unintentionally. However I have had some success in picking out items that my wife then bought. It is much better to take items home so that they can be paired with suitable other garments.

But I cannot manage to get producers' sizing on a scale where every size 16 is a 16. Complaints get me nowhere. the result is a lot of wasted time returning items that do not fit my wife.

Coolgran65 Sat 12-Aug-17 13:47:36

My DH rarely comments - and if he does.... 'fine' means you're on a winner !!

Giving him a choice of this one or that one, he is happy to say which he prefers as long as I don't then quiz him on what it is he doesn't like about the 'other one'.

My usual mode of operation is to try something on, present myself, and say.... is this a keeper or does it go back? He will give me an honest answer - as long as I don't quiz him on why grin

DameJudyClench Sat 12-Aug-17 13:41:52

I don't have a partner to ask about my clothes, but during one shopping trip, my teenage daughter picked out an outfit for me. It consisted of a barely-there strappy top that was 2 sizes too small and a spangly belt mini skirt. She was extremely miffed when I refused to try them on grin

sluttygran Sat 12-Aug-17 13:28:05

That's a good one musicelf!
My gentleman friend said we were going out to lunch, so I put on my usual casual outfit, only to find that the surprise lunch was at Claridges!
They're not stuffy about what you wear, but I wished that 'himself' had hinted that I might like to look a bit dressier!
I suppose men don't care about clothes - clean and tidy-ish is about the limit of their judgement!

Musicelf Sat 12-Aug-17 10:32:15

All these remind me of the story about the woman who greeted her home-coming husband with the words: "Well, what do you think?"

The husband looked at her, and tried frantically to guess what was new. "New hairdo?"

"No."

"New dress?"

"No."

He guessed at various things which were all wrong, and then gave up.

His wife said: "I'm wearing a gas mask."

AlexG Sat 12-Aug-17 10:25:30

If ever I asked my mother's opinion on anything I was wearing, I knew it was not acceptable if the answer was 'Unusual dear'!

radicalnan Sat 12-Aug-17 10:00:15

My bum looks big in everything so I have no need to ask. I have always had the refined dress sense of a bag lady, if it is clean and fits, I count my blessings and wear it.

Smithy Sat 12-Aug-17 09:24:40

A friend of a friend tried 2 different shoes on to see which looked best with an outfit, came out with the odd shoes on and asked hubby what he thought. ''Those shoes are fine'' he said.

damewithaname Sat 12-Aug-17 09:06:24

I won't ever ask my Husband what he thinks of my outfit. If I look in the mirror and I am not satisfied with it or I feel great in it, then the decision is made whether to wear it or not.

Unless u were standing naked in front of your significant other, he wouldn't really pay attention.

Daisydoo2 Sat 12-Aug-17 08:49:59

Years ago I asked my husband what he thought of my outfit.... whilst looking in the mirror at himself he said lovely dear.... I now ask my daughter.

Hilltopgran Sat 12-Aug-17 01:33:43

I am the same, no comment from OH means its ok, he soon comments if he does not like something.
Slightly off track, but your heading reminded me that many of my friends would ask the same question, especially when we were younger and clothes shopping. These days certain papers seem to be full of pictures of womens rears which are big in proportion to the rest of their body, yet at the same time other young somen aspire to be size 0.
I wish the women had the confidence to aim for a healtly and happy body whatever their shape.

JaneD3 Fri 11-Aug-17 23:46:51

My lovelyDH is always kind when I ask but of course that's no help! I want an honest opinion smile