Gransnet forums

Chat

Does my bum look big in this

(36 Posts)
Tippy22 Fri 11-Aug-17 10:13:51

Before we went out to dinner last night I tried on a new sparkly cardigan and asked my husband what he thought. He said it looked very nice. So duly got changed into the rest of my outfit, nice pair of evening trousers. When i said to my husbsnd I'm ready he turned to me and said I preferred the other trousers you were wearing - they had been my jogging bottoms!

hildajenniJ Fri 11-Aug-17 10:17:32

Men! grin

kittylester Fri 11-Aug-17 10:26:08

Bet they were comfier too!

Kim0612 Fri 11-Aug-17 11:17:28

My Husband is hopeless too if you ask his opinion, I have lost weight and tried one of my old tops on, I asked what he thought, he said it looked fine, it was too big, I looked like a darts player in it. I don't bother asking now.

rosesarered Fri 11-Aug-17 11:59:21

Best not to ask men for sartorial advice/comments, they are all equally hopeless.

goldengirl Fri 11-Aug-17 12:00:52

My DH knows that if he gives his opinion I will do the opposite - or what I think is best anyway!!!

glammanana Fri 11-Aug-17 12:04:39

I have learnt that by now if he gives no opinion I'm on a winner.

Christinefrance Fri 11-Aug-17 12:38:45

I once asked my daughter's opinion on a new outfit, she said " it's alright for you mother but I wouldn't wear it " Trust my own judgement now grin

callgirl1 Fri 11-Aug-17 17:17:12

Christine, that`s what my daughters say as well!

GrandmaMoira Fri 11-Aug-17 20:55:20

Tippy and Kim - you have made me laugh. As a widow, I get comments on my outfits from my DGDs instead.

ajanela Fri 11-Aug-17 22:02:13

My husband frequently asks me, " Is that something new." I say "No, had for x amount of years." On a recent special wedding anniversary I said, "Do you like my new top." Answer, "Yes, but I thought it was an old one."

You can't win!

JaneD3 Fri 11-Aug-17 23:46:51

My lovelyDH is always kind when I ask but of course that's no help! I want an honest opinion smile

Hilltopgran Sat 12-Aug-17 01:33:43

I am the same, no comment from OH means its ok, he soon comments if he does not like something.
Slightly off track, but your heading reminded me that many of my friends would ask the same question, especially when we were younger and clothes shopping. These days certain papers seem to be full of pictures of womens rears which are big in proportion to the rest of their body, yet at the same time other young somen aspire to be size 0.
I wish the women had the confidence to aim for a healtly and happy body whatever their shape.

Daisydoo2 Sat 12-Aug-17 08:49:59

Years ago I asked my husband what he thought of my outfit.... whilst looking in the mirror at himself he said lovely dear.... I now ask my daughter.

damewithaname Sat 12-Aug-17 09:06:24

I won't ever ask my Husband what he thinks of my outfit. If I look in the mirror and I am not satisfied with it or I feel great in it, then the decision is made whether to wear it or not.

Unless u were standing naked in front of your significant other, he wouldn't really pay attention.

Smithy Sat 12-Aug-17 09:24:40

A friend of a friend tried 2 different shoes on to see which looked best with an outfit, came out with the odd shoes on and asked hubby what he thought. ''Those shoes are fine'' he said.

radicalnan Sat 12-Aug-17 10:00:15

My bum looks big in everything so I have no need to ask. I have always had the refined dress sense of a bag lady, if it is clean and fits, I count my blessings and wear it.

AlexG Sat 12-Aug-17 10:25:30

If ever I asked my mother's opinion on anything I was wearing, I knew it was not acceptable if the answer was 'Unusual dear'!

Musicelf Sat 12-Aug-17 10:32:15

All these remind me of the story about the woman who greeted her home-coming husband with the words: "Well, what do you think?"

The husband looked at her, and tried frantically to guess what was new. "New hairdo?"

"No."

"New dress?"

"No."

He guessed at various things which were all wrong, and then gave up.

His wife said: "I'm wearing a gas mask."

sluttygran Sat 12-Aug-17 13:28:05

That's a good one musicelf!
My gentleman friend said we were going out to lunch, so I put on my usual casual outfit, only to find that the surprise lunch was at Claridges!
They're not stuffy about what you wear, but I wished that 'himself' had hinted that I might like to look a bit dressier!
I suppose men don't care about clothes - clean and tidy-ish is about the limit of their judgement!

DameJudyClench Sat 12-Aug-17 13:41:52

I don't have a partner to ask about my clothes, but during one shopping trip, my teenage daughter picked out an outfit for me. It consisted of a barely-there strappy top that was 2 sizes too small and a spangly belt mini skirt. She was extremely miffed when I refused to try them on grin

Coolgran65 Sat 12-Aug-17 13:47:36

My DH rarely comments - and if he does.... 'fine' means you're on a winner !!

Giving him a choice of this one or that one, he is happy to say which he prefers as long as I don't then quiz him on what it is he doesn't like about the 'other one'.

My usual mode of operation is to try something on, present myself, and say.... is this a keeper or does it go back? He will give me an honest answer - as long as I don't quiz him on why grin

CardiffJaguar Sat 12-Aug-17 13:55:37

When asked I try to be helpful but 50% of the time I am not, unintentionally. However I have had some success in picking out items that my wife then bought. It is much better to take items home so that they can be paired with suitable other garments.

But I cannot manage to get producers' sizing on a scale where every size 16 is a 16. Complaints get me nowhere. the result is a lot of wasted time returning items that do not fit my wife.

NonnaW Sat 12-Aug-17 15:37:38

My DH will tell me if he's not keen on something, and is very good at picking out clothes for me when shopping.

dihut Sat 12-Aug-17 15:40:55

I tried on my outfit for an upcoming wedding and my DH said I looked "fine" apart from the dead pigeon on my head!! (That would be my fascinator)