Gransnet forums

Chat

GNHQ please make it clear that these forums are public!

(417 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 16:25:44

I am forever warning people that these forums are public and a thread may end up on Facebook.

I really think that GNHQ should put a note on the Forum home page to that effect in big, bold, text - red, underlined, anything to draw attention to that fact. Put it in the welcome email too. Especially as some posters are not only new to GN, but new to forums.

I can't bear to think that an already stressful situation is made worse for someone because their posts are used as a "trailer" on the Facebook page.

(Writing this because I noticed that someone has been caught out by this, how upsetting).

whitewave Tue 15-Aug-17 16:32:26

I think it is so easy to forget this. I suspect that GNHQ do not necessarily have our interests primarily in mind so I suspect it it something we should remind ourselves frequently.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Aug-17 16:34:51

Yes I just read that thread Grannyknot and have to admit I didn't realise the posts on here went onto FB and I m not new or unused to forums
I knew there was a gransnet of fb but had never bothered looking and wrongly presumed it had entirely separate posts
I think this is completely wrong people should be asked if they mind or not I certainly will think twice before I ask for any help in the future as I don't want my problems aired on FB I could do that myself if I wanted to

annsixty Tue 15-Aug-17 16:36:49

I am now worrying it is me as my thread was on the newsletter today !!!

M0nica Tue 15-Aug-17 16:40:54

I quite often slightly change things I write if I think it could cause problems if anyone was able to identify who I was writing about.

It is not difficult to change the trivia or background details to a personal story to keep it anonymous without changing the essential story you wish to tell.

Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 16:44:16

True monica If you are aware that the forums are Facebook fodder ...

ann60 it wasn't you.

annsixty Tue 15-Aug-17 16:45:43

Thank you.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Aug-17 16:47:46

Hang on.. I dont know anything about Facebook. You mean that threads here are put onto Facebook?!

devongirl Tue 15-Aug-17 16:56:57

News to me too!

Riverwalk Tue 15-Aug-17 17:06:57

Grannynot I understand your concern.

I think the vast majority of posters understand this is a public site and that anyone in the world can view it, but I expect that many assume there would be a limited audience for a bunch of grans in the UK so feel free to post about personal matters.

Posting on Facebook is a different matter just as say, appearing on the front page of the Daily Mail.

Some scenarios could be quite identifiable, if out there in the main media, particularly where members regularly post updates and even photos of their grandchildren.

For the life of me I can never understand why members give so much information about very personal matters on a regular basis.

whitewave Tue 15-Aug-17 17:08:08

Who is it? As it is in the public forum it wouldn't hurt. To let the person concerned know!!!

Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 17:13:26

whitewave they know (it was a new poster), it was seen by the family member the person asked advice about, and the thread has been withdrawn.

I used to be a forum moderator on a work related forum, and we had great big warnings in bold text on every page related to the forums that read something like: "These forums are public!!" "Don't write anything on here that you wouldn't say to your Manager!" (and so on).

Ana Tue 15-Aug-17 17:14:19

I think they already know, whitewave.

whitewave Tue 15-Aug-17 17:16:15

Yes I have said stuff that after I think was something at second thoughts I wouldn't have done, but sometimes make the mistake and chat as if I'm in the sitting room with a friend.

MamaCaz Tue 15-Aug-17 17:20:08

As I am on Facebook, I am well aware of the Gransnet threads being shown on there, but I am not sure if it is my imagination or not, but the number seems to have increased significantly recently. Gransnet now far outnumbers anyone else in my Facebook notifications!

HildaW Tue 15-Aug-17 17:23:06

Yes, an answer I gave on a thread .....luckily a banal thread about a tv programme....ended up in an article in The Times once.....nearly fell of my chair when I saw it. So yes, be careful what you say.....Big Brother IS watching.

Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 17:34:14

Given that these forums are presented as being somewhere where people can find friendship and confidential support, help and advice for personal problems, it seems counter-productive to then put people in a situation where their outpourings are made even more public.

Even "Agony Aunts" will leave chunks out of letters that are published.

GN should review their policy.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Aug-17 17:35:22

I know the forums are public, but I dont understand how threads appear on Facebook. Are they replicated there by gransnet?

whitewave Tue 15-Aug-17 17:39:40

So do people post stuff in response to the stuff?

Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 17:41:49

Dunno. I just saw the post from the poster who said her thread had ended up on "Fussbook".

Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 17:42:44

... on the Gransnet Facebook page.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Aug-17 17:42:48

Well, I shall certainly be keeping a bit more quiet here then. I deliberately choose not to use Facebook, and really dont appreciate threads being put there.

whitewave Tue 15-Aug-17 17:45:48

Shame really, as folk find consolation from their posts it seems to me and to realise at they are being spread about willy nilly can be disconcerting I think.

I suppose that we must understand
Post on GN post to the world and his wife.

ninathenana Tue 15-Aug-17 17:51:44

Yes, they are. It happened to me a few months ago with a thread I started, fortunately it was pretty innocuous. I was aware of this, as has been said, although it's a public forum having it on FB is different

maryeliza54 Tue 15-Aug-17 17:52:43

Apparently lots of Mumsnet threads end up in the Daily Mail and one was discussed on Loose Women this morning - it was one about a poster being disappointed with her £1700 engagement ring