Gransnet forums

Chat

GNHQ please make it clear that these forums are public!

(418 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 16:25:44

I am forever warning people that these forums are public and a thread may end up on Facebook.

I really think that GNHQ should put a note on the Forum home page to that effect in big, bold, text - red, underlined, anything to draw attention to that fact. Put it in the welcome email too. Especially as some posters are not only new to GN, but new to forums.

I can't bear to think that an already stressful situation is made worse for someone because their posts are used as a "trailer" on the Facebook page.

(Writing this because I noticed that someone has been caught out by this, how upsetting).

MissAdventure Tue 15-Aug-17 18:31:55

I think it may be for me. I feel I can't talk about my daughter, my late mum, or ex fiance without giving away more info than I would want to pass on to Facebook.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Aug-17 18:36:48

It kind of makes a mockery of people posting threads, and being encouraged by our responses to give more info so we can give advice or help..

maryeliza54 Tue 15-Aug-17 18:39:12

I won't give any personal info - I wouldn't even post on that thread about where we all live - why does it matter where we live? OK I'll admit to the UK grin

Jane10 Tue 15-Aug-17 18:40:32

You hoo GNHQ! What do you have to say?

MissAdventure Tue 15-Aug-17 18:41:34

I can't see the point of a site where nobody can write what they want. Who wants their relationship problems, or issues with children turned into Facebook fodder?

maryeliza54 Tue 15-Aug-17 18:46:45

Someone, was it Monica, says you could change a few details. But leaving our details like ages, relationship etc, details of illness, could help. You don't have to say how old your daughter is or how old or how many children she has for example.

bikergran Tue 15-Aug-17 18:50:42

if you google and type in "Gransnet bikergran" (your nickname)for example it will come up with your post...!! hmm I was aware of that some time ago. So if your family/friends know your nickname they just have to google..

MissAdventure Tue 15-Aug-17 18:52:18

I'm pretty quiet about my private life anyway, but I simply dont want ANY of my business put on Facebook. That's the crux of the matter.
Plus, there are lots here who keep tabs of everything someone says - imagine if you've forgotten what details you've changed? It all seems pointless, because everyone is using poetic licence, so I answer someone having problems with their 'daughter' when its actually their granddaughter, and I can't respond properly in case I give anything away.

bikergran Tue 15-Aug-17 18:53:13

Its a great shame really as GN has helped such a lot of people...(me for one) but I suppose anything that goes on line these days is no longer private and is shared amongst 1,000s.

maryeliza54 Tue 15-Aug-17 18:55:08

So it's important to keep your username very private. Can we change usernames if someone had found out what our name was?

annsixty Tue 15-Aug-17 18:56:26

I will be very upset if this really does herald the end of GN as I have enjoyed my time here ,well mostly, my recent upset was not pleasant .
I get companionship, help and good advice.
I am not happy to feel things are not in my control.
I will see how things go and how GNHQ respond.

maryeliza54 Tue 15-Aug-17 18:58:26

I suppose GN use FB and Twitter for publicity - they must want the membership to grow as that will relate to advertising rates - like a newspapers circulation

MamaCaz Tue 15-Aug-17 19:06:30

It opens up the possibilities for the new GN tagline, doesn't it?
The older generation - still out there, whether we realize it or not!

Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 19:08:25

maryeliza54 ... I would hazard a guess that those are your first names and you are 63 years old ...

I really think that HQ should provide info and guidelines for members as to how to keep info as confidential as possible.

I don't have a problem in principle with GN using the threads elsewhere, my issue is that people should be forewarned. It's the right thing to do.

Crafting Tue 15-Aug-17 19:13:02

I don't have a Facebook account. I Ike to keep myself private. Do you mean that things I post on GN can appear on Facebook even though I don't have a Facebook account? That's horrendous. GNHQ answers please.

maryeliza54 Tue 15-Aug-17 19:13:23

Granny - you would be very wrong. I'm also a man grin. I actually put together two names I found in a book I happened to be reading and then the number of the house that I used to catch a bus outside of when I was very young but I always remembered because of something I won't say

maryeliza54 Tue 15-Aug-17 19:13:58

crafting yes

Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 19:15:58

maryeliza54 grin

Riverwalk Tue 15-Aug-17 19:17:41

annsixty I don't think this heralds the end of GN - not many people will leave when they realise/are reminded that their posts are there for the world to see.

It's up to members to be discreet when they post about their lives, and that of their unsuspecting families. Posting for support during difficult times is understandable but there is no need to go into identifiable detail.

So many people have this irresistible urge to broadcast every detail of their daily life. I just don't understand why.

Anniebach Tue 15-Aug-17 19:33:01

Suppose some people are so use to being honest and open , secrets are alien to them

Luckygirl Tue 15-Aug-17 19:36:34

Just looked at FB Gransnet page - the crass stereotyped photos that accompany the text are appalling - I used to be a picture editor and would not have let such rubbish slip through.

whitewave Tue 15-Aug-17 19:41:43

Yes I did think the photos odd.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Aug-17 19:45:32

New Format: "what have you done today?" - "why? Who wants to know?"
"Where are we all?" - "nowhere you'd know!"

whitewave Tue 15-Aug-17 19:49:49

grin

jacksmum Tue 15-Aug-17 20:06:11

OMG i didnt know posts on here are shown in other places .
time for me to leave as thats not what i thought i was signing up to
such a shame as i like the site ,