Gransnet forums

Chat

What tops to wear with skirts

(50 Posts)
Glenfinnan Wed 16-Aug-17 18:55:28

Hello stylish GNetters need to get your fashion advice please! I know on the site we are advised to tuck in tops but for me as a size 22 it's not an option! I bought some loose tops but they look wrong! How can I pull together tops and skirts so I don't look ancient! Or should I just chuck out all skirts!!

devongirl Thu 17-Aug-17 11:38:36

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but I notice that Gok Wan is a big fan of wide belts with blouses worn over skirts...

Emptynester Thu 17-Aug-17 11:50:39

Eglantine is totally correct it's an easy rule to follow and makes sense, in fact the same applies to wearing trousers as well. Loose over skinniest and fitted over loose, never fitted over skinnier unless you are 16, or have that body!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 17-Aug-17 13:04:26

Could tops which match the skirts colour-wise be helpful? All one colour can be flattering if you're not as slim as you'd like to be - I think it helps me.

123kitty Thu 17-Aug-17 13:46:46

You just need to get the (length) proportions right. Don't cut your look up, top:skirt at 50:50. Look online or in magazines for examples that look good to you. Good luck.

gran5up Thu 17-Aug-17 14:02:44

Kittylester, that's so funny!

I prefer trousers, more comfy, more modest and however short you are, they will look good if you avoid crop trousers or wide-legged ones I think.
The optimum length for a top for you can be found by standing up with your arms at your sides, hands flexed out at the wrists, where the wrists are is the best length of top.
Please don't try to cover a big bottom with a, "waterfall cardigan", they drape snugly over the bum(p)
Isn't it great to be a Senior Discovering Style? Fun!

starbox Thu 17-Aug-17 16:35:45

Hi! Check out the Gudrun Sjogren website - don't need to buy anything, it's just really inspirational how they put layers together.

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Aug-17 17:12:04

My arms are long relation to the rest of me so all my tops must be too short!

rosesarered Thu 17-Aug-17 23:21:37

grin

rosesarered Thu 17-Aug-17 23:21:53

?

rosesarered Thu 17-Aug-17 23:23:57

I haven't tucked in a top since I was a size 10 ( so long ago....lost in the mist of time.)
Rarely wear skirts for this same reason, what to wear on top?
So wear dresses mainly when it's very hot, or trousers ( most of the time.)

kittylester Fri 18-Aug-17 06:53:48

Er, what's a size 10?

Alima Fri 18-Aug-17 07:54:39

Possibly shoe size Kitty, we may have moved on to feet.

Getting back to tops, even though Glenfinnan is asking stylish grans and I could never be accused of that, may I add that bubble hem tops are good with trousers so may work well with shirts too. You know the ones I mean, have elastic in the hem and great at disguising waists and muffin tops. Sadly I think they are going out of fashion again as they are getting harder to find. Will have to buy elastic and make my own.

Glenfinnan Fri 18-Aug-17 08:34:20

Thank you all..some great ideas here! Will look at the various websites/celebrities too as suggested for ideas!

shysal Fri 18-Aug-17 09:15:30

Don't possess a skirt and don't intend to ever again! I haven't worn one since the day I left work.

goldengirl Fri 18-Aug-17 14:35:02

I looked like a badly wrapped parcel if I wear some skirts and tops and much prefer a dress or trousers with a tunic. If I do wear a skirt I like the waist to be loose so I can tuck a longer t shirt in and just pull a bit over the waist band. I do wear long skirts from time to time but again do the waist/t shirt thing or ensure I wear a shorter length top that just covers the waist band

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Aug-17 20:30:11

a badly wrapped parcel
Brilliant! that probably describes me exactly grin

Bring back corsets?

lemongrove Fri 18-Aug-17 22:29:07

I do have a special skirt that's really good when going out for a meal, as you expand, so does the waist of the skirt, bizarre really as it's not elasticated , I call it my magic skirt.?

Coolgran65 Fri 18-Aug-17 23:50:32

Oh dear, I wear my tops at least 4" longer than my wrists, unless I'm wearing a jacket or open shirt.

Greengage Sat 19-Aug-17 20:09:41

I wear skirts and tops all the time. Patterned skirts with plain tops and plain skirts with patterned tops. If I wear a blouse, I normally wear it jacket style with a light top underneath. Sometimes I wear a top and skirt of the same colour with a contrasting blouse or cardigan over the top. Tops always outside to cover a multitude of sins! Tops normally reasonably long or I look like two squares! Am short, have been very overweight but pleased to say weight much better now! I am not fashion conscious, but go for a fairly classic look that works for me. Everyone needs to wear what works for them.

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 20:17:56

If I wore tops 4" longer than my wrists they would reach my knees (at least).

I think I must have more gorilla DNA than most people.

And - I don't really care any more as long as I am clean, smell nice and don't look too enormous.

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 20:19:09

ps I was wearing a nice linen shirt over a white M&S vest-style t-shirt until Jeremy Corbyn arrived on the scene and spoilt that look.

Rosiebee Tue 22-Aug-17 12:23:11

Since retiring 7 years ago, I tend to only wear a skirt very infrequently and then only in Winter when I can wear them with long boots. I am not tall or slim and skirts just make me look squat now, especially as I can no longer wear heels. As a teacher, I was always in skirts and heels. Longish tunic type tops with crops in the summer and jeans in the winter with linen trousers for nights out plus fun / smart loose fitting jackets and lots of scarves to cover all multitude of sins. Where I used to tap-tap down corridors, now I tend to flow. smile

goldengirl Tue 22-Aug-17 16:28:47

I like the idea of 'flowing' Rosiebee Rather ethereal

grannysue05 Tue 22-Aug-17 16:35:43

Love the idea of 'flowing' Rosiebee . I tend to jack-knife. Well, my shoulders kind of lurch and my hips follow later.
If you understand what I mean.