Gransnet forums

Chat

Who's right and who's wrong?!

(105 Posts)
Fireflies Fri 18-Aug-17 12:03:36

PLease help settle this argument for me... I recently had a good friend come to stay and immediately noticed that everytime I nipped to the loo, the roll had been changed round on the hanger so that the end of it fell at the back of the roll, near the wall, instead of resting over the top (if you see what I mean). I realised it was her doing it and we had a good laugh about it - but we both insist our way is the 'right' way! What does everyone else think? Are there other things like this when you just 'know' you're right grin

Oldwoman70 Fri 18-Aug-17 12:06:45

I saw recently, on FB I think so it must be true (!), that the original patent for TP shows it hanging at the front so you are right!

norose4 Fri 18-Aug-17 12:09:12

I'm with the resting over the top , makes sense it's easier to grip , otherwise your hand can ended up fighting the wall !!

wildswan16 Fri 18-Aug-17 12:17:24

Definitely over the top - otherwise it runs away when you pull it.

Liz46 Fri 18-Aug-17 12:34:36

Over the top!

kittylester Fri 18-Aug-17 12:37:38

I agree but DHD2, who is coming to stay next week, always changes all ours!

devongirl Fri 18-Aug-17 12:44:32

I remeber reading decades ago that it was 'non-U' to have the paper falling at the back and have ever since always had the paper falling forwards, I'm with you Fireflies!

nanaK54 Fri 18-Aug-17 12:49:35

You are, of course, completely rightsmile

Kittye Fri 18-Aug-17 12:57:02

Paper hanging at front.

Greyduster Fri 18-Aug-17 12:58:44

Of all pet hates and fixations, this is my number one. I can't countenance a toilet roll with the end hanging down the back. (You could say I am anal about it! grin). I have to change it whether I am in my house or anyone else's.

grannysue05 Fri 18-Aug-17 13:02:28

You are all right of course but I have to have mine at the back (so to speak), as the forward position makes access to my seat a bit cumbersome.
Hope this makes sense.

BlueBelle Fri 18-Aug-17 13:32:29

You ve all got too much time on your hands I would never even notice which way round mine are in fact I ll have to go and have a look ....two loos, one of each way round haha ? Why on earth does it matter you ll tell me next you do little pointy bits like the hotels as long as I ve got some which way round it sits makes no difference

devongirl Fri 18-Aug-17 13:35:30

There is one advantage of having the toilet paper at the front - if it is at the back the toilet roll could hide the end smile

LadyGracie Fri 18-Aug-17 13:40:48

Over the top, I change it if I see it the other way anyway, I don't like scrabbling for the end, there's always atendency to scratch the wall!

devongirl Fri 18-Aug-17 13:46:07

.. and if I may say so, LadyGracie, in keeping with my post regarding U/non-U, in keeping with your username!

Charleygirl Fri 18-Aug-17 13:52:07

I am non U and will not be changing any time soon.

MamaCaz Fri 18-Aug-17 13:52:11

We always hang ours end out, but i really don't have strong feelings either way. OH, on the other hand, would not be able to live with it if I were to put it the other way. In fact, I am feeling a bit miffed with him today, so might go and turn it round just for fun. Very childish, but strangely satisfying too! grin

That said, it would seem very rude to turn it around in someone else's home, unless you are close enough to them to do it as a joke, and are absolutely certaint that it will be taken as such.

hildajenniJ Fri 18-Aug-17 14:00:49

Mine always hangs to the front. DGS2 changes it when he comes, he's 7, has autism and thinks that he is right! grin

Devorgilla Fri 18-Aug-17 14:15:50

Well, Hyacinth Bucket stipulates that the correct way is to the front. Anyone care to argue with her?

Fireflies Fri 18-Aug-17 14:46:51

Phew, well that's a relief!! I do hate to be wrong grin I suppose I'd better call my friend and tell her the bad news hehe!

M0nica Fri 18-Aug-17 14:54:21

I have noticed that women usually have it 'over the top' while DH, DS and other male visitors always do it the other way.

I did read somewhere that this was a common pattern.

lemongrove Fri 18-Aug-17 14:58:23

Fireflies I agree with you, over the top looks better and is easier to use.Must say I would never alter anybody else's loo rolls, what a cheek! ?

Devorgilla Fri 18-Aug-17 15:21:26

M0nica, your comment re the differences between the sexes reminded me of yet another quirk. Take a box of matches and ask men and women to strike one. Almost always women will strike it away from them and men towards them. Fascinated my school kids every time although 'elf and safety would mean you couldn't do it today without a full fire engine standing by.

Primrose65 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:28:46

There is a whole Wikipedia entry about this fascinating topic. "Even at the Amundsen–Scott Research Station at the South Pole, complaints have been raised over which way to install toilet paper." grin
It looks like someone is getting ready for a dissertation on loo roll orientation!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper_orientation

MawBroon Fri 18-Aug-17 15:46:36

Is this a wind-up?

"Which way round to hang your loo roll"???

How about the myriad real issues of life, such as round or square teabags, milk in first or second, bath or Barth, and what you call your evening meal?
Who says older people aren't up with the crucial issues of the day?

gringrin