Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling upset with my DD

(72 Posts)
MadGrandma Sun 20-Aug-17 12:18:49

Bear with me while I give you the background. Last November my DH was taken into hospital - he'd collapsed in the bathroom and was unable to get back up, even with my help. We discovered after 4 weeks in hospital that he had bowel cancer and spent the next 8 weeks in a hospital bed. He had issues with swallowing (still does) and finally came home in February. Since then DD has visited us once with her husband and our GD. And we have gone to their home once (a 60 mile journey which DH didn't feel up to doing until recently). We have been told his cancer is cleared (for which we are extremely grateful) but still suffers from the inability to swallow about every 6 weeks, which means he has to go into hospital and have a dilatation to open up his esophagus again. Irritating that it can't be solved, but we put up with it.
Anyway this coming week is our GD's birthday. Because we bought her a Kindle Fire, we took it over so that they could set it up early as a kid's tablet (she will be 7). SIL works in computers and we thought that he would be the best person to organise it. We took it early just in case that DH was feeling unwell and wouldn't be able to visit for her birthday. We are hoping to go over for her actual birthday and give it to her, even giving DD the wrapping paper! Imagine how horrified I was when DD told me that they had actually given it to her early because the old one she was using had broken! Now SIL has said that he doesn't agree with "gift giving with conditions attached"?? The only condition was that they sorted it out and wrapped it for us to give to GD on her birthday?
Am I being unreasonable to think that this is unfair? I know my DH will be really upset about this, and I haven't told him yet. What would other Gransnetters say if it was them in this situation? I'm almost at a point of feigning illness because I don't want the row that will ensue between DH and DD!

MissAdventure Sun 20-Aug-17 12:46:45

Oh it does seem a shame, but I think things are very different nowadays regarding presents, and suchlike. It used to be soo exciting leading up to a birthday, when I was a child. It seems to be 'easy come, easy go' these days, with regard to new things.

Stansgran Sun 20-Aug-17 12:51:15

Make light of it if you can and call it a non birthday birthday present.

LadyGracie Sun 20-Aug-17 13:11:36

I think it's a shame and a bit thoughtless too. I agree with MissAdventure it did used to be so exciting having a birthday, children have and many expect so much these days, the anticipation of the event is gone.

Olene Sun 20-Aug-17 13:25:03

First world problems........
Cannot believe the amount of petty posts on GN today.
MadGrandma - You're thinking of feigning illness???? Seriously? It's your family. In the scale of things it doesn't matter a jot.
............And people wonder how estrangement starts and swear they did nothing wrong....

NanaandGrampy Sun 20-Aug-17 13:30:44

Wow Olene that's harsh !

It may not matter to you but it obviously matters to MadGrandma . It might be 'petty' to you but as it didn't happen to you it's easy to say that .

I think it's just one of those things Mad , it's done . Feigning illness will just mean you missseeing your GD on her birthday . Take a small token gift and tell her as she had her kindle early this is just an ' on the day gift' .

Norah Sun 20-Aug-17 13:31:46

You gave the FIRST Birthday gift, well done!

Say nothing, there is nothing to say. In the Birthday card write how happy you are to have replaced her fire when it was broken with her first gift for this Birthday!

MissAdventure Sun 20-Aug-17 13:46:17

I would let it go over my head. You bought your grandchild what she wanted, and you have enough on your plates to concentrate your energies on: namely yourselves. flowers

cornergran Sun 20-Aug-17 14:19:08

Agree with other posters, just let it go. I understand, think I would also have been surprised and probably initially upset but please don't let it spoil your granddaughters birthday or your enjoyment of being with her. I think writing a little explanation in the card will make sure you are recognised as the giver and if you want to why not take a little additional gift with you for 'the day', something inexpensive that will make her laugh maybe. I can understand your concern about telling your husband, his health is not good and you anticipate he wont understand. All you can do is explaint it was needed as her other had broken and let him get over his reaction before the day. If necessary just remind him it isn't your granddaughters fault and it just isn't worth falling out with the family because of it. Yes, times have changed, sometimes we need to run to keep up. Hope you have a lovely time on the birthday.

BlueBelle Sun 20-Aug-17 14:30:11

I agree with other posters It's naughty when things like this are done but not worth getting into a row about
I too think they should have made her wait a week or two weeks whatever the time difference was and given it to her on her birthday but as you had to put it in their hands and out of your own control there's not much you can do
I d make sure I wrap everything and give it on the day for the next time and let the Dad sort it out after she's opened it It's one of those many things that seem like a good idea at the time
Have a good time at her birthday it's not her fault

mumofmadboys Sun 20-Aug-17 16:02:11

Olene-your post really isn't helpful to anyone!
Agree with others. Let it go and enjoy your GD's birthday.

devongirl Sun 20-Aug-17 16:06:06

I agree with most people on here - let it go, life's too short. I don't have a problem with the gift being given early (spaces them out a bit) but I do think DD should have run it past you first.

Madgran77 Sun 20-Aug-17 18:32:07

It was thoughtless but probably not deliberate , just practical. Follow Norahs good advice re a note in the card; ask her to show you/DH how she is using the Kindle and enjoy the chat etc. In the great scheme of things its not really worth an argument is it ? Hopefully your DH can see that too ....more important things in life! I am so glad that he is recovering.

grannylyn65 Sun 20-Aug-17 18:56:41

Disagree you're right

MadGrandma Sun 20-Aug-17 19:18:02

So the consensus is to let it go. I'd agree with you and if it was just me, I would. But DH is the sort of person who will jump first and ask questions later! He once fell out with his sister over their mother's funeral and we haven't spoken to her since! (And that must have been over 20 years ago now!) I will just have to tell him before we go, and hope it doesn't spoil his day too much. GD knows we bought it for her (according to DD). Maybe we will get a thank you card before we visit which would help to explain it to him!
Maybe I'm just being too emotional over this - I still have nights when I cry myself to sleep over DH's hospitalisation.

MissAdventure Sun 20-Aug-17 19:22:49

I can understand how youre feeling. It would be a lot easier if your loved ones would just all do what's expected so as not to 'rock the boat' . Its horribly stressful to be walking on eggshells when none of it is your doing.

Tegan2 Sun 20-Aug-17 19:43:41

A couple of years ago I gave my grandson some money to spend at Harry Potter World instead of giving him an Easter Egg. A while later he said 'granny, you didn't give me an Easter Egg', but remembered what had happened when I explained it to him. So I realised that, if you don't actually hand a child a present, they don't realise who it's from, even if they've been told. It isn't that I want gratitude from the child for giving the present, just that I hate the thought of them thinking that I hadn't bothered to get them one. I agree that it's a case of putting this behind you and saying nothing, but do understand why you're upset; I would be, too.

Jalima1108 Sun 20-Aug-17 20:03:13

Perhaps you could buy a tiny present to open on the day but make sure that she knows that the Kindle Fire is from you - write something in her card as someone suggested.

It is very generous of you! In fact, we have got DGD a token this year, she's not much older but has very decided views on what she likes and dislikes! and a small gift to open as a surprise.

M0nica Sun 20-Aug-17 20:18:11

Olene, why are people who live in the 'first world' not allowed to have problems?

Can you put your hand on your heart and say that you never ever get upset or distressed about anything because you are so glad you live in the first world? I doubt I would believe you if you did.

A grandparent being upset when a treat for a grandchild goes wrong is not particular to the 'first world' (whatever that may be), it happens and has happened in every culture, worldwide since time began. The nature this problem presents will vary from culture to culture and the financial, social and other circumstances of the families involved. But the problem is the same and the sadness is the same whether you live in the first, second, third, fourth or twenty sixth world.

Jomarie Sun 20-Aug-17 21:24:26

Hear Hear Monica !!

maryeliza54 Sun 20-Aug-17 22:31:20

You've had a hard 9 months and were trying to do your best for your dgd's birthday. Your (not so) dd behaved extremely badly - it wouldn't have hurt dgc to wait for the new tablet ( quite the reverse in fact). I understand that you want to avoid it escalating so can you have a word with dd before the birthday and explain why dh is so upset and what might help make it better ( the letter or a phone call from dgd). And what on earth is your SIL on about about? 'Gift giving with conditions attached?'. It was a birthday present confused. If I were you I'd be hopping mad - just not acceptable behaviour and I hope DD is clear on this point

Anya Mon 21-Aug-17 07:03:36

Does the Kindle Fire have a cover? If not then buy a nice one for her and take that on the day. You can gently remind her the KF was from you and the cover will protect it against being dropped etc.

I can tell your feeling fragile because of your DH's illness and regular hospitalisation. Why don't you tell your DH how you feel and ask him not to add to your stress by making an issue if this. What's done is done.

Anya Mon 21-Aug-17 07:04:28

You're feeling ....

NfkDumpling Mon 21-Aug-17 07:16:36

I would feel a little hurt that they hadn't asked first if DGD could have her present early.

Perhaps if you fibbed a bit tell your husband that GD's old pad had broken so you'd agreed she could have her present early. I know it means taking the flack yourself but it would then blow over before you get to see her. Her parents had probably been under quite a bit of pressure about the broken pad and given in for peace and quiet!

A cover for it as a present to open on the day sounds like a good idea too.

Norah Mon 21-Aug-17 07:58:31

A cover would be a brilliant gift, on the 'day'.