Gransnet forums

Chat

What other forums or sites/blogs do you use?

(44 Posts)
Oriel Fri 25-Aug-17 19:56:17

I often take a look at 'That's Not my Age' which is 'the grown up guide to great style' according to the writer Alyson Walsh.

What sites do you find informative and interesting?

Greyduster Fri 25-Aug-17 20:18:00

I'm afraid the only other site I look at is the Fly
Fishing Forum. Brilliant advice, banter, humour and - very occasionally - verbal fisticuffs (yes even the guys get feisty with each other sometimes! Being the lady that I am, I do not join in!). Great fun!

Oriel Fri 25-Aug-17 21:48:25

That's interesting! I enjoy fly fishing... are you a fly fisher too?

Witzend Mon 28-Aug-17 08:18:38

Housepricecrash - been a visitor for many years out of concern over crazy prices, at least around here.
The Alzheimer's Society Talking Point forum. Don't have dementia to deal with any more, thank goodness, but still visit in case I can be of any help to those who are new to it.
The ABRSM Music forum
Oh, and Mumsnet...
Quite enough!

BlueBelle Mon 28-Aug-17 08:32:57

FB, where I run two groups and belong to a Postbox collection group .....a local site (I won't give its name small town giveaway) I used to be on Streetlife till it changed to Neighbour (Whatever) and changed its privacy settings and everyone left. I tried Kahuti but there was no one in my area talking so that was pointless. I belong to a worldwide postcard forum called Postcrossing

Imperfect27 Mon 28-Aug-17 08:43:38

I like IMDb for film reviews. Not always entirely helpful, but find reviews of most things there.

Anniebach Mon 28-Aug-17 08:47:12

No other, only here. Quite some time ago when aol were in business there were great discussion groups , these ended and we started a private group which ran for years, I miss it.

tanith Mon 28-Aug-17 08:57:34

Arthritis uk
Several FB groups including a family only group
Money saving expert
Proboards a group of my age ladies that I've been part of for over 15 years we know each other's families very well but have never met.
Local council forum
Zoopla

Riverwalk Mon 28-Aug-17 09:06:51

Talking of Streetlife - has anyone found a suitable alternative?

It was such a useful site for finding local information and goods.

MissAdventure Mon 28-Aug-17 09:11:16

I used to belong to streetlife. It really was a useful and friendly site.
Again, once it changed, I left.

Franbern Mon 28-Aug-17 09:29:31

Used to really like streetlife. No idea why it suddenly changed to 'next door' and that is nowhere near as good. However, still stay with it as it is useful to find local workmen, etc.

BlueBelle Mon 28-Aug-17 09:33:33

No Riverwalk I haven't found an alternative although I tried Kahuti that someone on here recommended but in my area even the largest city 30 odd miles away no one was posting at all it may be good in some areas but it didn't get going in mine I occasionally have a look but nothing has changed
I liked streetlife although I left for a while after a man sent me a private message asking me out for a coffee I politely, very politely declined and he got very annoyed and started posting quite nasty replies to everything I said, then another couple of older men joined him and I felt very bullied so left for about a year I rejoined under another name and continued enjoying it until it changed hands

lemongrove Mon 28-Aug-17 09:47:59

Mumsnet sometimes, although the entitled whinging is a bore.Senior Forums, which is mainly an American site but can be interesting with many more topics than here.A couple of book forums.

Charleygirl Mon 28-Aug-17 09:48:42

I am a member of Nextdoor but it is not as good as Streetlife, I only stay because I get the odd tradesman's name or more likely I contribute.

Riverwalk Mon 28-Aug-17 10:26:26

Bluebelle I've just re-visited Kahuti to see if the numbers/activity had improved - even within two miles of my busy part of London there is very little going on. The site is discrete and not easy to navigate.

I'm not looking for a chat forum just want Streetlife back!

GrandmaMoira Mon 28-Aug-17 11:20:47

I'm on several groups in FB and use it a lot. Otherwise it's just occasional visits to other sites such as patient.info, money saving expert. I tried Streetlife, Meetup and a couple of others but never got into them.

Cosafina Mon 28-Aug-17 11:21:34

I miss Streeetlife and wish it would come back! I never signed up to its replacement because I don't like the American take on privacy laws (and I'm sick of Americans taking over our good British stuff and ruining it - like Cadbury's for example).
I joined mystreetlink.com but it's not the same, although they are trying to improve it.
As for the original question: here and FB grin

Lupatria Mon 28-Aug-17 11:21:35

i love wikipedia. it an answer 99.9% of any questions i have about anything.
i'm also on facebook where i'm in several groups.
i have other favourites - asda, tesco, sainsburys where i do my grocery shopping, m&s, amazon, my bank, bbc news and i use many others too when i need to including gransnet.
i've also got several browser games on the go during the day.
being virtually housebound at the moment i find my computers useful to keep me in touch with the world.

TriciaF Mon 28-Aug-17 11:23:42

I belong to a few forums for British people living in France. They're all becoming more quiet.
Also to Rootschat, not for family info (a cousin does that) but for an interesting thread on the history of my hometown.
And WW2 Talk - posting less now.
I think the mass media forums such as Facebook are taking over.
I like Gransnet best - always busy and such a variety of experience and opinions.
I look in at Mumsnet too, but find the crowds of contributers confusing.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 28-Aug-17 11:31:32

I use wikipedia for information, mumsnet to hear opinions and pinterest for craft ideas. I don't tend to look at blogs.
I must admit I like playing patience or solitaire as it's called on my computer - not a website as such but I usually play a few games most days.

Juney64 Mon 28-Aug-17 11:42:12

Quora.com.
It's a Q&A site which covers every subject under the sun.
It's very well moderated and has a BNBR (be nice, be respectful) policy.
Very interesting site.

keffie Mon 28-Aug-17 11:45:08

Facebook and belong to a few groups specific to our life etc. Do have other social media accounts however don't use them a great deal.

Football forum and notable for my club for my sins which is Aston Villa. Member or Vital football and a Vital Villa.

That's about it social media wise. Obviously use it for the usual stuff for shopping, banking, news outlets, email etc and finding out what I need to know.

I do subscribe to a few blogs. The main one I use is fashion & style police. Stella is right across the board with her blogs which are interesting and informative, covering other stuff as well as fashion & style. She posts a minimum of 4-5 times a week so she keeps the momentum going and puts alot of care and thought into her work

Rosieroe Mon 28-Aug-17 13:51:50

Moneysavingexpert.com is chock-full of good advice. Facebook.

Evenstar Mon 28-Aug-17 15:21:00

FB mainly but I love Ebay.
Occasionally Netmums and I like The Dibb which is a Disney based site. Lovely crowd on there.

inishowen Mon 28-Aug-17 15:35:16

I look at Knitting Paradise every day. It's worldwide and full of interesting topics. The best bit is you get a reply if you make a comment. I wish gransnet would think of doing this. Most forums do.