Gransnet forums

Chat

Hang the washing out

(118 Posts)
Teetime Tue 29-Aug-17 12:15:54

Further to my 'Open those windows' thread I observe that locally I seem to be one of the few who hang washing out- has this practice fallen from favour too?

overthehill Tue 29-Aug-17 15:45:01

Funnily enough have recently got new washing line. Don't like the plastics type so went to a boat chandlers and bought it by the metre which they told us won't stretch.
I put most of my washing on an airer in the spare room and it is dry by next morning. I use the line for sheets if it is a nice day and towels. I do have a tumble drier but only use it when we get back from camping and there's a lot of washing

judypark Tue 29-Aug-17 15:51:28

Many years ago, when babies were both in Terry nappies I would dry outside and then pop in the tumble dryer for 10 mins just to fluff up. Unfortunately on one occasion I hadn't noticed a bumble bee having a snooze on one of the said nappies. 10 minutes later, I opened the door and a very angry, fluffed up and smelling of a fragrant Bounce sheet shot out at me. It lived to buzz another day ?

hulahoop Tue 29-Aug-17 16:54:27

I have friends who don't hang out because of bad hay fever as spores can stay on clothes and bedding . I hate drying clothes inside .

LadyGracie Tue 29-Aug-17 17:00:46

I love my rotary line and hang washing out whenever possible, but I also have a highly efficient tumble dryer for damp days in winter.

PenJK50 Tue 29-Aug-17 17:21:04

I'm with Juggernaut as I hang out whenever possible but the pegs on each item have match! Never tumble dry duvet covers as they end up in a damp ball! I prefer rough towels after line drying them - they're more absorbent. Only tumble dry after a 2 week holiday on our caravan as I don't believe in wasting holiday time using a laundrette.

Magrithea Tue 29-Aug-17 18:29:15

Always hang washing out if possible! Nothing nicer than getting into bed freshly made with sheets, etc. that were line dried!

Can't bear paying for the tumble drier if it's not necessary. Also have a hanging rail over the border for things that can't be tumbled if I do use it.

suzied Tue 29-Aug-17 18:35:22

I haven't got a washing line but dry outside on the patio on a clothes airer. Finish in tumble drier for a few minutes just to finish and fluff up. In winter dry in utility room.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 29-Aug-17 18:39:59

I always hang the washing out when possible too and don't ever want a tumble dryer. It's interesting to hear that you don't like rotary driers, Greyduster; can I ask why? I like them because I can stand on one spot and the washing comes to me, rather than having to wade through wet grass to it!

downsized Tue 29-Aug-17 18:40:44

Here in Malta there are very few days when the weather is not good enough to hang the washing outside.

I do have a tumble drier but only use it in emergencies as electricity is quite costly here. I'm not looking forward to our next bill as we have had fans and a/c going non-stop for the past couple of months.

Smithy Tue 29-Aug-17 19:05:07

Its my favourite hobby hanging washing on the line, on a good drying day of course!. I love the fresh air smell when I bring them in.

GrandmaMoira Tue 29-Aug-17 19:26:08

I hang washing out and on an airer indoors or over the banister in winter/wet days. I had a tumble dryer years ago but never replaced it when it died. I only used it occasionally.

singingnutty Tue 29-Aug-17 20:32:29

Juggernaut, what a relief to read your peg comment. I also have to prevent myself from doing the same thing with coloured pegs. However, I love it when washing is dried on the line, particularly sheets and duvet covers which wrap themselves into tight bundles in the drier. Also I refuse to iron bedding, so on the line there is more chance of them having minimal creasing.

tidyskatemum Tue 29-Aug-17 20:52:14

I have a double washing line but don't hang things all the way along as it gets close to the bird feeders - the starlings especially like sitting on the line regardless of what is hanging there so after a few episodes of bird poop stained items I learned to be circumspect abut where to hang things. I use the tumble drier for towels as they come out soft and fluffy but if it's not actually raining everything else goes outside - and smells so good when you bring it back in.

Lupatria Tue 29-Aug-17 21:08:48

i would love to be able to hang washing out on the line. unfortunately owing to severe arthritis in one knee i'm unable to do this at the moment.
line dried washing is so much better although right now i have to tumble dry everything - apart from my trousers that is as i won't have them anywhere near a tumble dryer because i ruined 8 pairs once in a tumble dryer. cost quite a lot to replace them.

Cherrytree59 Tue 29-Aug-17 21:24:58

One of lifes great pleasures (IMHO) is watching washing billowing in the wind

One of life's pain in the neck is watching washing mounting up in the ironing basket!smile

Eloethan Wed 30-Aug-17 00:11:41

If the weather permits, I always hang the washing out.

mizzmelli Wed 30-Aug-17 03:15:41

I wash at least twice a day and always hang it out if sunny/windy. however I only have a tiny garden so it goes on a clothes dryer in the yard. If the weather is like our lovely British weather it has to go in the dryer, no room for the clothes airer in the bedroom and if you leave them in the kitchen they smell of whatever you have had for your tea!! xx

Teetime Wed 30-Aug-17 09:27:44

I'm temped to start another scintillating discussion on what pegs to use but I wont. Mine are wooden (the ones with a spring).

illtellhim Wed 30-Aug-17 09:58:22

Don't you find the hot air in the tumble dryer warps them, Teetime smile

grannylyn65 Wed 30-Aug-17 10:12:16

Living alone only need one load a week which I very reluctantly hang out ?, however ddil has 2 loads a day and uses, a horse, if I remember the term !!!

Lindylo Wed 30-Aug-17 10:43:58

I love hanging the washing out as it smells so lovely and clean when you bring it in. Not looking forward to when the weather is too bad and I have to dry indoors.

farmgran Wed 30-Aug-17 11:26:04

I've never heard of a cover for the rotary line.! I like hanging out the sheets and winding up the handle to raise it so the wind catches them. they dry in no time.

IngeJones Wed 30-Aug-17 11:26:25

I don't dry washing outside because I got sick of bringing spiders in with it every time. I used to have a seperate toilet and bathroom but we converted it to have the toilet in the bathroom and I now use the little old toilet room as a drying room, with wall racks to hang the washing on. We leave the window in there open with an insect mesh over it and the clothes dry in there nearly as fast as in the garden.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 30-Aug-17 11:29:46

Love the sound of your drying cupboard Oriel.
I used to have a tumble dryer, they do save on ironing if you take out the laundry and fold as soon as its dry and still warm.
I don't have a laundry room these days so weather permitting it goes out on a rotary line which then goes back in garage so I don't gave to look at it in the garden when not in use. Can't stand seeing them still up permanently all saggy and with faded grubby pegs attached.
Love the fresh smell of line dried laundry.

radicalnan Wed 30-Aug-17 11:30:38

I have retractable line, got mine in Sainsburys, there when I want it, gone when I don't.