Gransnet forums

Chat

Dreading a denture - any tips please.

(40 Posts)
Deni1963 Tue 29-Aug-17 18:06:36

In a week my temp bridge will be removed and a denture used to replace three upper front teeth.
I'm 54, and saddened by it all. The old crown posts are non existent, a bridge is not possible long term because either side are not stable enough. Implants are an option if I sell my house!

Can anyone give me tips for the 1st week, what I will need, and how to emotionally cope with such a big change.

I do not plan to take them out at night!

Feeling miserable ?

suzied Tue 29-Aug-17 18:15:49

Maybe think about implants? I know they are super expensive, but you can get 0% credit at some dentists and if dentures make you really miserable it might be worth just going for it. I am sure if you don't want to countenance such a huge loan there will be plenty of others on here saying that it's fine and you just forget about it.

norose4 Tue 29-Aug-17 19:23:01

I feel for you, I have coped with same for forty years, falsies have always been the butt of jokes & don't get the same empathy & understanding as other body problems , so I decided early on that their are people coping with so so much worse, so I gave myself a talking to ,gritted my teeth ( literally ?) & decided never to mention them unless I had to , joked about them when necessary & always remind myself of others , good luck it's not nearly as bad as you imagine unless you let it.?

Deni1963 Tue 29-Aug-17 19:25:01

Suzie just can't afford even a loan right now - perhaps in a year or two -and my gums need to be stable too.

LadyGracie Tue 29-Aug-17 19:26:42

I had the same problem about 5 years ago, I couldn't have implants so went for a private denture. I would rather have teeth but can't have them. I take them out clean them, quick 10 minute soak while I'm in the bath/shower, little dab of fixodent (not really necessary, just peace of mind) and carry on as normal. I've followed this routine since I first got my dentures, as recommended by my lovely dentist, including the Fixodent. Good luck.

LadyGracie Tue 29-Aug-17 19:43:33

Mine are 2 upper front teeth, you can't tell I have them, they're perfectly matched.

Deni1963 Wed 30-Aug-17 07:01:40

Thanks for the replies - I have paid for a private one - how does it affect speech ? I'm worried it will be so noticeable - or even worse fall put!

Deni1963 Wed 30-Aug-17 07:02:23

That should read out!

Deni1963 Wed 30-Aug-17 07:03:03

Ps what do I need to buy to clean?

Serkeen Wed 30-Aug-17 07:59:55

Hi Deni1963 I have been where you are, we are a similar age I am 56 and it happened to me two years ago.

For me it is just the one front tooth but all your reasons for not being able to have implants applied to me. Made me laugh when you said implants were an option, but you would have to sell your house smile

I too did not want to take my false tooth out at night!!! infact I can not believe how similar my emotions were to yours when I found out that I would have to have a false tooth, so let me tell you how I have coped with it all.

Ok firstly how much worse could things be, you have not got to look far to see people that have much worse problems that false teeth.

Secondly it really is not that bad, you actually do get used to it, really you do, once you accept that it is ok and not the end of the world, it does get better from there.

Your first week will be a bit alien but it will get easier. I guess we should be grateful that false teeth are possible as the alternative would be not good.

I know a lady that works with me and she is quite the glamourous one and she has five false teeth! so you can still be pretty and have false teeth smile

Trust me it really is not that bad, it will be ok.

norose4 Wed 30-Aug-17 10:19:02

You may lisp a bit for a couple of days , but don't worry , that soon goes and you will sound just the same as you do now . Try to stay calm , I know it's a worry & upsetting but all will fine .

grannylyn65 Wed 30-Aug-17 10:26:02

I have just had 4 implants and a new denture, it was, holds breath, £4000
so my pension is mostly gone, all I can honestly say they arr a bit uncomfortable!!
Its a long process as he had to cut my gums to get implants in, then for gums to heal which takes ages. Should I go on???

glammanana Wed 30-Aug-17 10:48:31

Denil Your problem sounds identical to mine 2 yrs ago,I couldn't bear the thought of something strange in my mouth and the thought made me retch all the time,my dentist made the denture extra thin and I was plesently surprised all matched up well and it took just 7/10 days to get used to the change,just to be safe I always use a good denture glue as I was frightened of it falling out but no problems,keep a watch on the fit as it may loosen slightly if it does go straight back and have it ajusted.

KatyK Wed 30-Aug-17 10:58:49

There have been a few posts on this in the past. I always tell folk that I have had full dentures, top and bottom, since I was 11. I know this is small comfort but I have coped (although it was traumatic) and I'm sure you will be fine. Good advice from others on here.

MissAdventure Wed 30-Aug-17 11:35:39

A good tip for if you find the denture sets off your gag reflex is to suck on a boiled sweet, with the dentures in.
I felt really 'down in the mouth' about have a partial denture: I'm still not thrilled about it, a good few years later, but you will become accustomed to it.
Good for scaring the grandchildren too!

LadyGracie Wed 30-Aug-17 12:42:47

I use Sterident, there is a 10 minute one. It hasn't affected my speech at all. Only I know they're there!

grannylyn65 Wed 30-Aug-17 12:54:14

Yes, when gdc won't clean teeth they will end up like granny I warn them!!

Atqui Wed 30-Aug-17 13:55:29

Grannylynn I think you got a good deal. I had two implants 10 years ago and they were £ 2000 each

Deni1963 Wed 30-Aug-17 18:53:32

That's cheap compared to the quote I had! Where did you go?

Deni1963 Wed 30-Aug-17 18:56:22

I've been told the plate won't cover the roof of my mouth and there are no clips.
I'm just really scared I think of dealing with it all.

Serkeen Wed 30-Aug-17 19:47:23

well you have had loads of advice and everyone has tried to help

Coolgran65 Wed 30-Aug-17 20:04:14

I have 8 upper teeth on a denture. They look just like my usual teeth. Steradent also do a 3 minute fizzy cleanser and I pop my toothbrush into it at the same time.
Boots do their own brand which is a bit cheaper.
I also use the Cordasyl Daily Mouthwash.

You will feel a bit strange to start with but honestly you will get used to it really quickly. Also with regard to speech, it also only takes a couple of days to get used to it.

When I think of the time and money spent on crowns and replacement crowns, and trying to 'save' teeth, I wish I'd got the denture sooner.

I am truly not sorry I'm wearing a denture.

Deni1963 Wed 30-Aug-17 21:57:35

Thank you so much! Do you take yours out at night? And do you have to brush dentures or just soak in the steradent?
I hope I just manage to not gag and get use to it quickly -

Deni1963 Wed 30-Aug-17 21:58:15

Yes and I'm truly grateful thank you

grannycakes Thu 31-Aug-17 07:12:18

i have full dentures - top and bottom. The top set onl took about a week to get used to and I had no problems with lisping As I am a teacher I was really concerned about this.
The bottom set took a lot longer and much perseverance and adjusting but now I'm OK.

Other staff that don't know ave had asked if "I have had work done" as I look so much better and they can't work out what it was! I think we all need to be more honest about need for dentures etc. Not everyone can afford/or is suitable for implants and because we don't like to talk about it people are really nervous and upset if they need a denture