Gransnet forums

Chat

It's always friday

(30 Posts)
Menopaws Wed 30-Aug-17 09:58:52

I know we all say time goes by so quickly but seriously the weeks are passing so so fast and to me it's always Friday.
Now I have always appreciated time, how best to enjoy it and stand still and take my time and avoid rushing about and wishing time away etc. I live opposite beautiful fields and woodland and every day walk the dog, stop and look at the sky and the views and think and often say out loud how lucky I am. I work full time which isn't hard and I love, I see friends and family but am happy at home chilling out, the years of rushing about have stopped and ,by circumstances, I am even more aware to make the most of life.
However it's always bloody Friday,!!
Do you have a day that seems to come round more often than others?

annsixty Wed 30-Aug-17 10:04:06

For me it is Sunday.
I sit over a cup of coffee reading the Sunday paper and can't believe a whole week has gone by, it seems I read that paper only two days ago. Believe me my life is very boring through circumstance but the weeks still rush by.

grannylyn65 Wed 30-Aug-17 10:07:15

With you there anne!

trisher Wed 30-Aug-17 10:23:55

It's not just the days somebody is pinching weeks out of my years. If I find out who it is I will be very cross. I'm sure my birthday is coming round more than once a year as well.

Alima Wed 30-Aug-17 10:29:43

All the years I was working I was always wishing the time away to get to the next Friday, weekend, public holiday, holiday. Now it just doesn't matter. The time is hurtling by but I have not noticed one day in the week always cropping up. Some days we find ourselves scrabbling around for the newspaper to confirm what day of the week it actually is. We do have school to home duties which help us get our bearings, just as well really. Anyone else think the last year has flown by?

Mapleleaf Wed 30-Aug-17 11:04:55

How I agree Trisher. The weeks are definitely getting shorter, and birthdays more frequent! ??

ninathenana Wed 30-Aug-17 11:24:16

H ad I were discussing this with D last week. She works in the holiday park industry and H and I were saying where has the children's six week holiday gone, it's flown. D was quick to disagree and said they were all on their knees and next week couldn't come soon enough. We are both retired and as Alima says we no longer need to wish time away.
I think Friday is my day too. H and I go food shopping and have lunch out and I sometimes think 'is it that time again already'

Greyduster Wed 30-Aug-17 11:26:31

I agree with Alima - it isn't a particular day of the week, but the way that time just seems to gallop by. DH is fed up of hearing me say "I don't know where this year has gone." We used to have a school and holiday routine with GS but all that changed this year. DD has not had to work for the whole of the school holiday, much of which they have been away, so our routine has been completely blown out of the water, and will be for some time to come I think.

gillybob Wed 30-Aug-17 11:38:05

My weeks seem to be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Monday, Monday, Monday ( with a Saturday thrown in every few months ) .

Tudorrose Wed 30-Aug-17 12:10:02

It always seems to be a Wednesday in our house as Thursday is"bin day". It comes round so quickly I am always shouting to my DH bin day tomorrow & he rushes to put it out as we are going to bed. We have to make sure it is the right bin as we have black bin(rubbish) one week and blue bin (recycling) alternate weeks

Kim19 Wed 30-Aug-17 13:51:47

My joy is to wake up and wonder what day it is!

luluaugust Wed 30-Aug-17 13:54:22

The way things are at present the bin bags going out Thursday night are the one fixed thing in the week!

NanKate Wed 30-Aug-17 15:25:21

It's always window cleaner day in our house. Our lovely window cleaner who has been cleaning our windows every 6 weeks for the last 25 years or so, arrives at our house on the dot of 8.00 am we either have to scrabble quickly out of bed or I have to tell DH to pull down the blinds in the bathroom. I then go downstairs and have to go down the garden, whatever the weather and undo the back gate. Then I make our W.C. a cup of tea and sort out a biscuit, then find his money. DH usually chats to him whilst he has his tea. And so it goes on.

adaunas Wed 30-Aug-17 15:40:40

Always Monday here. Used to be because I worked full time, but now it's because the GC arrive for pre-school time so parents can get into work early.

willa45 Wed 30-Aug-17 15:42:30

Here's my 'pseudo-scientific two cent's worth' ......

To a seven year old, a three month summer school break feels like one year. To my seventy one year old self, three years feels like one month. So the older we get, the more time seems to shrink in relative proportion to our time spent.

Einstein's theory of relativity might hold the explanation for all of this, but I never understood most of it anyway. I'm guessing (theoretically of course), that if one could exceed the usual allotment of ~100 years and live way, way longer, time would continue to shrink relative to that longer lifespan.

Live long enough and time could eventually shrink very close to zero or perhaps stand still or disappear altogether... and then what?

Of course none of this makes any practical sense, because it's the kind of stuff I think about when I lay awake at 4 a.m!smile

I find that when I do my best to savor the (good) days, hours, moments as they come along, they seem to last longer!

Sheilasue Wed 30-Aug-17 16:37:33

Gee menopause, what a lovely place to live and I envy you walking the dog so chillin.
I like my mornings my h and I are retired. I get up about 6.30 feed the cat and have a cup of tea while watching BBC news. My own quite time.

Norah Wed 30-Aug-17 16:59:43

Everyday is Saturday to me, now.

Cherrytree59 Wed 30-Aug-17 17:13:20

Willa can you please tell me if your theory can also explain why something that you long for takes forever and a day.
Whilst something you dread is upon you in no time at all?confused

ninathenana Wed 30-Aug-17 17:17:49

Ain't that the truth Cherrytree

Menopaws Wed 30-Aug-17 17:54:18

Can I start a petition to have Christmas every other year?

Alima Wed 30-Aug-17 17:58:39

What, that often?

lemongrove Wed 30-Aug-17 17:59:01

I read something about this recently.The answer is to do as many new things as possible ( to slow down the feeling of time passing quickly.) The brain doesn't have to work to process familiar things, routines, it doesn't have to think about danger etc. So time passes pleasantly but quickly, but if doing something very different, it has to be a busy bunny processing all it encounters.?

Menopaws Wed 30-Aug-17 18:38:18

We are going zip lining in wales in the spring and I'm doing a road trip in Canada with my son then as well so thats a plan! I agree actually because when we in oz in march, the days were beautifully long and slow, it's the normal days that rush

goldengirl Wed 30-Aug-17 18:50:59

Wednesday when I have the children and have to think what to give them to eat!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 30-Aug-17 19:14:45

Thursday.