Gransnet forums

Chat

Festival discards

(8 Posts)
M0nica Wed 30-Aug-17 16:57:24

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-berkshire-41094374/reading-festival-rubbish-given-to-homeless

It seems that festival goers consider tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, and huge quantities of unopened food and personal products can just be discarded at the end of a festival. Many must be casually walking away from £100 of belongings without thinking them worth taking away with them.

I noticed the same thing after the much smaller festival held in our village. Walking the footpaths after the event there were discarded bivouac tents, some with contents everywhere - and my walks didn't take me into the official festival site.

I understood that life was harder than ever for young people today, no jobs, low wages, student debt etc etc. How can they so casually walk away from all this kit? Not to mention their loudly claimed green credentials. What the little group mentioned in this clip do not rescue goes into land fill. Which is what probably happened to every thing left locally as well.shock

Luckygirl Wed 30-Aug-17 17:53:55

I a equally shocked by this and share your views. It is pitiful.

Ana Wed 30-Aug-17 17:58:16

Wasn't there a discussion about this on the Glastonbury thread recently? Apparently it's easier to leave stuff there (especially if it's covered in mud) and people are employed to remove it from the site.

Stansgran Wed 30-Aug-17 18:40:19

Is it binned or rescued?

Iam64 Wed 30-Aug-17 18:54:47

I was shocked ten years or so ago, when mine returned from festivals and told me many others set fire to their tents and abandoned their wellingtons. I now accept it as a frequent occurrence but I remain shocked that expensive items can be discarded so easily.
When two of my children did the year out travelling thing, they found one country so expensive and hostels difficult to get into, that they bought a tent. When they moved on, they found a homeless man in the nearby city and gave him the tent and other usable things. I genuinely don't understand why festival goers can be so senseless. No doubt some of them will be involved in planet saving activities !

pensionpat Wed 30-Aug-17 19:39:20

Our local Rotary have about 24 hours to retrieve tents to send somewhere they are needed. There's still plenty of other detritus to cleared though.

M0nica Wed 30-Aug-17 19:41:37

If a Festival has been very wet and muddy I can see some point, but Reading Festival last weekend was hot sunshine and dry soil. Absolutely no excuse at all for abandoning so much.

lemongrove Wed 30-Aug-17 22:31:15

I would never abandon my wellingtons, we have been through so much together.
Yes Monica on a serious note, I do agree with you, it is a waste of property and a blot on the landscape.