Gransnet forums

Chat

Words you don't like, please, ladies?

(249 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 31-Aug-17 18:19:57

Are there any words which you find distasteful for any reason?
One which springs to my mind is 'panties'. It sounds so twee..

pollyperkins Sun 03-Sep-17 21:53:46

Oh I agree about arse and any vulgar word such as tits . Hate to hear 'going for a pee' too.
Also don't like little girls being called princess as someone mentioned above.
I don't mind ladies (though hated it in my twenties!) and I'm guilty of calling friends my age 'girls' too. Not keen on guys!
Im afraid 'Good morning women' sounds awful to me. I prefer 'ladies'. It must be very difficult for people to know what to say when there are so many different opinions.

FarNorth Sun 03-Sep-17 22:04:35

Other Half is an expression I dislike, but I have no problem with "guys".

Tweedle24 Sun 03-Sep-17 22:12:13

Not a word, another phrase - "Can I get...?" When what is meant is,"Please may I have...?"

NotAGran55 Sun 03-Sep-17 22:14:25

Movie &
' Can I Get ' Grrrr , no you can't , but you may have !

NotAGran55 Sun 03-Sep-17 22:15:13

Oops crossed post with Tweedle .

mimiro Sun 03-Sep-17 22:30:41

iconic

FarNorth Sun 03-Sep-17 22:45:03

From time to time, shortly after a thread is started, someone comes on to say how unnecessary it is and that the OP shouldn't have bothered.
I don't know why those someones bother posting that. Do they expect that the thread will stop in its tracks because of what they said?

"To die for" and "eyes peeled" give me the heebie jeebies.

mimiro Sun 03-Sep-17 23:08:41

native american
and most of the indians i know agree unless they have a political agenda
born between nunuvat canada and venezuela
than you my friend are a native american
term also lumps individual nations/tribes together.they are as different from each other as say a german from a scot.each have their own language, traditions, music,arts and architecture.
it is the exact opposite of politicaly correct to call someone a native american.
we mostly prefer indian ,unless you know our nation/tribe hopi,apache aztec.mayan.lakota,mohegan.mohawk,inuit.ojibwe,cree blackfoot etc.

Elrel Sun 03-Sep-17 23:23:25

Thanks for putting me right, mimiro. Is North American Indian ok? I don't want to cause confusion with people from India.

TheGlovers1 Mon 04-Sep-17 14:03:05

People that refer to Christmas as Crimbo or Xmas .

lemongrove Mon 04-Sep-17 16:11:06

What's wrong with the word iconic or do you feel it is overused or used wrongly mimiro ?

grannysue05 Mon 04-Sep-17 16:14:16

Open secret......it's either well known or nobody knows.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Sep-17 16:18:05

A new one - "Cray Cray" for crazy.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 04-Sep-17 16:29:45

I agree with mimiroabout 'iconic'. It's just used too much and so devalues itself.

BBbevan Mon 04-Sep-17 18:40:43

Hate ' chillax' . Sounds like something from a horror film.

TriciaF Mon 04-Sep-17 18:43:43

"dementia" and all other psychological labels.

Nelliemaggs Tue 05-Sep-17 10:17:28

?*lemongrove*. My 3 year old grandson has been experimenting with names for his Mummy and we suggested 'your majesty' and I taught him 'your high-upness and it just set me thinking how silly 'majesty' and 'highness' are as words when applied to people.

illtellhim Tue 05-Sep-17 10:24:53

For Anya

1.Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

2.The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

3.Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

4.House Guarded By Shotgun 3 Days A Week. Guess Which Days.

5.Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
6.War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.

New twist, does it work for you ?

Blinko Tue 05-Sep-17 14:37:18

I have always detested the word 'Retard' as pronounced and used in America, Ree-tard. Horrible word. Horrible attitude.

FarNorth Wed 13-Sep-17 12:54:37

"Reaching out" seems to happen a lot these days. I presume the intention is to get in touch / make contact / that sort of thing, so I hope that happens too.

Great saying about the match, illtellhim!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 13-Sep-17 17:08:21

I'm fed up with the inevitable "Our thoughts (or worse, prayers) are with the families of the victims" which seems to be expected of the police and other organisations, depending on what has happened. It shouldn't require to be said that anyone feels sorry for people who are caught up in a personal tragedy of some sort. In the case of the police in particular, I would rather their thoughts were directed towards finding out what happened and stopping it happening again.

Floradora9 Wed 13-Sep-17 17:38:42

coming to terms with when used of a whole community .

MissAdventure Wed 13-Sep-17 17:46:26

I can't stand the "lessons will be learned" that gets trotted out after a tragedy that could have been avoided if people had done their job properly.